End of the World!!!!!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You know, I am wondering if we could actually have a decent discussion about the growing risk of a solar flare around 2012 considering we are going to be a closer target for one around that time.

I am not one for end of the world bullshit…but I also fall more on the side of Mulder than Skully when it comes to “possibilities”.

[/quote]

Solar flares worry me too.

The question I ask myself is:

A. Do I want it to be a massive meteor so it’s over quick.

B. Small meteor thats clouds the world and crops die, you know the rest. Not pleasent. Think the road.

I’m kinda going with A right at the moment. I dig Apocolyptic novels but I seriously doubt I’m cut out for it.

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:
Solar flares, weather, geophysics…

All these things have run in cycles since the dawn of time, or at least since history has been recorded. My only real concerns are asteroids and nuclear war. Anything short of the sun im/exploding unexpectedly and we’re good until 328something.[/quote]

Not really. When it comes to solar flares, it isn’t that they exist. It is about whether they are aimed directly at us and of what intensity. Researchers have recently discovered that in the next two years or so, we will be in direct line of a very large flare. Our atmosphere protects us from “indirect” assault.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

You know, I am wondering if we could actually have a decent discussion about the growing risk of a solar flare around 2012 considering we are going to be a closer target for one around that time.

I am not one for end of the world bullshit…but I also fall more on the side of Mulder than Skully when it comes to “possibilities”.

[/quote]

Solar flares worry me too.

The question I ask myself is:

A. Do I want it to be a massive meteor so it’s over quick.

B. Small meteor thats clouds the world and crops die, you know the rest. Not pleasent. Think the road.

I’m kinda going with A right at the moment. I dig Apocolyptic novels but I seriously doubt I’m cut out for it.

[/quote]

I think it is “possible”. I also think that even if it did happen, how would that really change your life?

If you would actually change the path you are on…then you should have already anyway.

I think it is “possible”. I also think that even if it did happen, how would that really change your life?

If you would actually change the path you are on…then you should have already anyway.[/quote]

Exactly, so no point in worrying.

And thanks for helping with my last post. I wasn’t aware of the direct line of fire thing.

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

If you would actually change the path you are on…then you should have already anyway.[/quote]

And thanks for helping with my last post. I wasn’t aware of the direct line of fire thing.[/quote]

It is still a scary thought…and I feel that real science is being buried by nonsense like the op is about.

Yes, there are crazy people out there.

That doesn’t mean that ancient people were completely wrong in their prediction because all they studied was the sun.

Honestly, it shocked me to learn this was happening because it isn’t being discussed anywhere aside from National Geographic documentaries.

I’ve always heard October 11, 2011. Brown dwarf star, yada yada yada. Noah’s ark, Atlantis, yada yada yada. All major cultures prophesize about it, so on and so forth.

Really we shouldn’t be scared or worried. If something cataclysmic does happen, then I am confident that we will all be going somewhere much more peaceful.

Yeah it’s possible. Anything is possible really, what the hell do we know?

EDIT: Also, I don’t really think that it will be the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. A “re-birth” if you will. The land masses will change, new land masses will rise, some will sink, people will be scattered ready to start over. If you take a look at the current weather around the world, it doesn’t seem too impossible.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
I’ve always heard October 11, 2011. Brown dwarf star, yada yada yada. Noah’s ark, Atlantis, yada yada yada. All major cultures prophesize about it, so on and so forth.

Really we shouldn’t be scared or worried. If something cataclysmic does happen, then I am confident that we will all be going somewhere much more peaceful.

EDIT: Also, I don’t really think that it will be the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. A “re-birth” if you will. The land masses will change, new land masses will rise, some will sink, people will be scattered ready to start over. If you take a look at the current weather around the world, it doesn’t seem too impossible.[/quote]

Actually it does.

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

And thanks for helping with my last post. I wasn’t aware of the direct line of fire thing.[/quote]

It is still a scary thought…and I feel that real science is being buried by nonsense like the op is about.

That doesn’t mean that ancient people were completely wrong in their prediction because all they studied was the sun.

Honestly, it shocked me to learn this was happening because it isn’t being discussed anywhere aside from National Geographic documentaries.[/quote]

People who are interested in this stuff are boring, thats us btw.

I vaguely remember a docu talking about the earth switching polarities or somesuch and how that may or may not change earth completely in ways we can only speculate. They also thought that it might have happened in the past many times.

Makes for some amazing aurora borealis.

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:

EDIT: Also, I don’t really think that it will be the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. A “re-birth” if you will. The land masses will change, new land masses will rise, some will sink, people will be scattered ready to start over. If you take a look at the current weather around the world, it doesn’t seem too impossible.[/quote]

Actually it does.
[/quote]

Let me guess, you think the Earth is flat too.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Isn’t one of the tenets in Christianity the belief a judgement day is coming?

Don’t you have to believe in a Judgement Day (maybe not May 21 2011) to call yourself a Christian?[/quote]

The book of Revelations is very clear that the date cannot be predicted. So the answer is no.

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
So these people are regularly in downtown Toronto telling everyone the world is going to end. I also have read there are end of the world billboards popping up all over the US.

How many people here believe a Judgement Day is in fact coming? How many think it’s May 21 2011?

How much presence has this ad campaign had in your community?

What are your plans for may 21 2011?

[/quote]
lol

I’ve heard nothing about this, and I live in what is supposed to be the bible belt here in BC.
As this will be may long weekend I guess most will be bbqing and drinking. :smiley:
[/quote]

Charlie, your post just reminded me of the big cheerful billboard that used to be on the highway there “PREPARE TO MEET GOD” just before taking the mountain routes.

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:

Actually it does.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why would you guess that?

You made a statement that basically said ‘because we’ve had bad weather, it seems likely that land masses will rise and sink’ or at least thats how it reads. I was disagreeing with you.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
.[/quote]

We have those folks in Ireland - yeesh they get around.

Looking forward to the 21st - wonder what their next date will be… or will they praise God for his forgiveness.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

Honestly, it shocked me to learn this was happening because it isn’t being discussed anywhere aside from National Geographic documentaries.[/quote]

People who are interested in this stuff are boring, thats us btw.

I vaguely remember a docu talking about the earth switching polarities or somesuch and how that may or may not change earth completely in ways we can only speculate. They also thought that it might have happened in the past many times.

Makes for some amazing aurora borealis.

[/quote]
I think you’re talking about the planetary alignment in 2012 that will supposedly change Earth’s polarity.

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:

Actually it does.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why would you guess that?

You made a statement that basically said ‘because we’ve had bad weather, it seems likely that land masses will rise and sink’ or at least thats how it reads. I was disagreeing with you.[/quote]

Fair enough. Just keep in mind that I’m not “claiming” anything. I’m just stating that it’s possible. The theories of brown dwarf stars support that the increase in storms/etc are only the beginning of what is to be a time of super storms and cataclysmic events. Honestly I have no idea what will happen, nor do I have any “beliefs” on what will happen, only things that I have read and informed myself about. But I at least have to keep an open mind and accept the fact that anything is possible.

I feel that real science is being buried by nonsense like the op is about. [/quote]

Yes, it is being buried. It’s not only the religious quacks though. You’ve also got the reactionaries who parade as atheists when they are really not. One of my closest friends maintained he was an atheist right up until he got married in a traditional church wedding. His fiancee, who wasn’t religious either, insisted on it because it was ‘romantic’. Both had to jump through hoops to get permission. I’m not going to hold it against him, but quite often atheists aren’t quite as ‘atheist’ as they make out. As usual, it’s not true for all; just for some.

[quote]

Yes, there are crazy people out there. [/quote]

The Westboro Baptist Church are pretty fucking high up there on the crazy scale:

[quote]
That doesn’t mean that ancient people were completely wrong in their prediction because all they studied was the sun. [/quote]

True, ancients are routinely scoffed at mainly because of some of the imagery they used to articulate ideas, which is kind of ironic when you think of the classic idea of Judgement Day with God dividing the damned and the blessed in two orderly queues.

[quote]roybot wrote:

I feel that real science is being buried by nonsense like the op is about. [/quote]

Yes, it is being buried. It’s not only the religious quacks though. You’ve also got the reactionaries who parade as atheists when they are really not. One of my closest friends maintained he was an atheist right up until he got married in a traditional church wedding. His fiancee, who wasn’t religious either, insisted on it because it was ‘romantic’. Both had to jump through hoops to get permission. I’m not going to hold it against him, but quite often atheists aren’t quite as ‘atheist’ as they make out. As usual, it’s not true for all; just for some.

[quote]

Yes, there are crazy people out there. [/quote]

The Westboro Baptist Church are pretty fucking high up there on the crazy scale:

I don’t understand. What do you mean by atheists are not as atheist as they make out?

How does getting married in a Church not make you an atheist?

Christ will come back, but Mormons get dibs, okay?

[quote]byukid wrote:
Christ will come back, but Mormons get dibs, okay?[/quote]

This made me LOL…

I wonder at the fixation we humans have for the end of the world lol! Im just gonna go with the Ancient Aliens theory! haha!