T Nation

Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding?

Hi,

I was given “the new encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding” as a gift recently and man it is packed with great information!

I have a question for those of you that are familiar with it.

“The Basic Training Program Level 1”

It shows the exercises but does not provide or even recommend Sets / Reps. (Except for the Power Training)

Is this information somwhere else? Am I missing something?

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
KraigY

PS… Anybody have this on an Excel Spreadsheet?

Yeah this book is awesome, go to page 206, although it says its advanced, it is the lowest level workout they have. I’m not saying you need the lowest level but you asked for basic. I read this entire book several times and tried almost every workout, and experienced great results. Hope this helps!

As I recall you are never given a program, and Arnold idea of progression is to add volume to your workouts as you prep for a contest. Ergo - You will workout 4 - 6 times a week as a beginner using the basic exercises. Then as you progress you add more sets and more exercises. If you are competing you are doing upwards of 20 sets per workout, 12 workouts a week or something like that.

MANY more useful programs on this site in my opinion. I use the book mainly as a good read and an encyclopedia of exercises when I want to mix things up. Its great for those purposes.

[quote]kcinnitram91 wrote:
Yeah this book is awesome, go to page 206, although it says its advanced, it is the lowest level workout they have. I’m not saying you need the lowest level but you asked for basic. I read this entire book several times and tried almost every workout, and experienced great results. Hope this helps![/quote]

Hi,

The program I am referring to is on page 180.

Thanks,
KraigY

The book stresses 4 sets for all exercises, and 8-12 repitions for the upper body muscles, while 12-16 apparently for the lower body muscles.

This is all written in earlier chapters before the basic training program.

There are certain things about the routine I would have to disagree with, such as the fact that all the power movements appear last in each routine, and the unusually high repitions for all lower body exercises.

However, overall I think it is pretty sound, and coupled with a high calorie/protein diet and plenty of sleep, most people would see relatively good results with a routine like this.

It is a good program IMO but it is not the most optimal one. However, it all depends upon your goals. If your goal is to get strong, then the program is a winner but if you are a strength trainee, then it is probably the most useless program you could ever do.