Emphasizing the Lower Lats?

I’ve been trying to bring my back up lately, and it’s improved, like its wider

however I think I have high lat attachments

soo… are there any particular ways to do back exercises that emphasise the lower portion more?

Reverse-grip pulldowns
Take a shoulder-width, underhand grip on a lat bar attached to the high pulley of a lat pulldown station. Keep your chest up and your lower back arched as you pull the bar down to your chest. Keep your elbows close to your torso as you bring them as far back behind you as possible; focus on pulling your shoulder blades together. Hold the contraction for a moment and then slowly return the bar to the top position.

The underhand grip pulldown better stimulates the lower-lat muscle fibers, giving the appearance of thick, full lats all the way down to the waist.
just like dorian yates :wink:

Bent over barbell rows…I think my lats attach pretty high too…

[quote]Kerley wrote:

The underhand grip pulldown better stimulates the lower-lat muscle fibers, giving the appearance of thick, full lats all the way down to the waist.
just like dorian yates ;)[/quote]

how so? i call BS

I agree with both of the above posters. Reverse grip/shoulder width pull downs and bent over rows.

any sort of hand spacing where your hands are closer together on the bar will give a better stretch (and thereby resultant contraction) further down the lats. I plan on trying to thicken my lower lats over the next 6 months and will be doing a lot of reverse grip, and V-grip work instead of typical overhand grips.

S

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Kerley wrote:

how so? i call BS[/quote]

Actually, there’s no such thing as a “lower lat”. Anymore than there’s an “inner pec”.

Just work the whole muscle with good variety and accept the genetics you were born with. The high lats/skinny waist look has worked well for a lot of BB’ers.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Actually, there’s no such thing as a “lower lat”. Anymore than there’s an “inner pec”.

Just work the whole muscle with good variety and accept the genetics you were born with. The high lats/skinny waist look has worked well for a lot of BB’ers.
[/quote]

thank you

[quote]Kerley wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Kerley wrote:

how so? i call BS

[/quote]

If your lats truly don’t have such “long” bellies/go that low, then there is nothing in the world that you can do to make them go that low.

It’s like guys with short biceps doing preachers because they think that will lengthen the muscles…

Dennis Wolf, Dante, me etc all have high lats… That’s something you’re stuck with.

That being said, there are some techniques available to widen one’s lat-spread… But not to make the lats attach lower/latbellies longer.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Kerley wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Kerley wrote:

how so? i call BS

If your lats truly don’t have such “long” bellies/go that low, then there is nothing in the world that you can do to make them go that low.

It’s like guys with short biceps doing preachers because they think that will lengthen the muscles…

Dennis Wolf, Dante, me etc all have high lats… That’s something you’re stuck with.

That being said, there are some techniques available to widen one’s lat-spread… But not to make the lats attach lower/latbellies longer.

[/quote]

Wait!!!

They haven’t perfected the surgery to lower the insertion point???

You’d think by 2009 they’d have figured this out.

[quote]Vanilla-Gorilla wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Kerley wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Kerley wrote:

how so? i call BS

Wait!!!

You’d think by 2009 they’d have figured this out.[/quote]

They’d kind of have to lengthen something for that to work :wink:

Vanilla-Gorilla wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Kerley wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Kerley wrote:

how so? i call BS

Wait!!!

You’d think by 2009 they’d have figured this out.

They’d kind of have to lengthen something for that to work :wink:

[/quote]

Quit making excuses and let’s look into solutions. How can we stretch the muscle enough to attach it lower? Come on, think!

I wonder if anyone has ever had their muscle detached and re-attached for aesthetics?

Droop rows.

Do them.

I’m aware that there isn’t a “lower lat” or inner pecs

but I know some will agree with me that certain exercises will emphasis certain aspects of the muscles more

I just wanted to know what in people’s opnions/experience they were

[quote]taleb wrote:
I’m aware that there isn’t a “lower lat” or inner pecs

but I know some will agree with me that certain exercises will emphasis certain aspects of the muscles more

I just wanted to know what in people’s opnions/experience they were[/quote]

In that case, try to get the best stretch you can in your lats…
Rack chins (gotta play around with the setup etc to get them right), some pullover machines and then there is a certain kind of row where you round your back to an extent and use fairly little weight… Check out intensemuscle and Justin Harris’ backwidth transformation.

low row
The only one I’ve tried is the Hammer Strength low row and I definitely feel it working the lower lats.

Yes. droop rows.

some pullover machines and then there is a certain kind of row where you round your back to an extent and use fairly little weight…
[/quote]

Palumbo’s stretch done at the right age has been known to turn some “high-attached” specimens into “attaching at the waist” specimens.

NOTE: I am speaking without much anatomy knowledge and all that jazz and purely from observation, experience, discussion and conjecture.

[quote]adamhum wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ever had their muscle detached and re-attached for aesthetics?[/quote]