Emphasis on Upper Chest as a Beginner

I think it’s pretty safe to say that a well-developed upper chest is a very sought-after feature in bodybuilding. I know that incline - shallow incline, in particular - presses will develop the upper chest to a greater degree than flat pressing, but will flat benching develop the upper chest, as well? As a beginner, should I just focus on the flat barbell bench for chest development, or should I incorporate exercising emphasising the upper chest, too?

Thanks in advance.

If your goals are physique-related, I think emphasizing upper chest is the way to go. When was the last time you saw a guy whose upper chest was TOO developed?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
If your goals are physique-related, I think emphasizing upper chest is the way to go. When was the last time you saw a guy whose upper chest was TOO developed?[/quote]
Good point, most people seem to have underdeveloped upper chests, which is why I was wondering. However, does the flat barbell bench press still train the upper chest or are the stimuli insignificant?

[quote]labean wrote:
As a beginner, should I just focus on the flat barbell bench for chest development, or should I incorporate exercising emphasising the upper chest, too?[/quote]
Dude, in just over one month, you’ve asked about working the middle chest, targeting the long head of the triceps, working the lateral delts, and now about focusing on the upper chest.

Add in your several threads about the best lat exercises, the best chest exercises, the best arm routine, and getting enough micronutrients, and I think you’re tripping over smaller details when you can probably sort a lot of it out with simple time under the bar.

At 17 years old, there’s something to be said for trial and error. Definitely not saying you shouldn’t be asking questions, just that a lot of your questions seem to be about things that shouldn’t be a major concern for you yet.

What’s your current height, weight, and general fat level (not %, just appearance-wise - pudgy, lean, ripped, etc.)?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:
As a beginner, should I just focus on the flat barbell bench for chest development, or should I incorporate exercising emphasising the upper chest, too?[/quote]
Dude, in just over one month, you’ve asked about working the middle chest, targeting the long head of the triceps, working the lateral delts, and now about focusing on the upper chest.

Add in your several threads about the best lat exercises, the best chest exercises, the best arm routine, and getting enough micronutrients, and I think you’re tripping over smaller details when you can probably sort a lot of it out with simple time under the bar.

At 17 years old, there’s something to be said for trial and error. Definitely not saying you shouldn’t be asking questions, just that a lot of your questions seem to be about things that shouldn’t be a major concern for you yet.

What’s your current height, weight, and general fat level (not %, just appearance-wise - pudgy, lean, ripped, etc.)?[/quote]
I know that I ask a lot of questions, but I’m very obsessed with efficacy and being optimal. Besides, it really gets the debate going and forces people to argue over points that are not really being addressed in the fitness community. Anyway, here are some stats:

Turned 17 2,5 months ago.
Height: 186 cm - approximately 6’1"
Weight: 79 kg - approximately 174 lbs
BF%: approximately 12% (I have BF calipers) - slightly visible 6-pack when flexing.

[quote]labean wrote:

I know that I ask a lot of questions, but I’m very obsessed with efficacy and being optimal. Besides, it really gets the debate going and forces people to argue over points that are not really being addressed in the fitness community. [/quote]

LOL.

Most of the skinny weak people in the gym think just like this.

You can’t be obsessed with “efficacy and being optimal” if your focus is on anything other than making visible measurable progress consistently.

Most of the people arguing over things not being addressed in the fitness community…seem to miss the blatant fact that if it was that important, somebody would already be worried about it…especially all of those HUGE fuckers over there in the gym.

[quote]labean wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:

What’s your current height, weight, and general fat level (not %, just appearance-wise - pudgy, lean, ripped, etc.)?[/quote]
I know that I ask a lot of questions, but I’m very obsessed with efficacy and being optimal. Besides, it really gets the debate going and forces people to argue over points that are not really being addressed in the fitness community. Anyway, here are some stats:

Turned 17 2,5 months ago.
BF%: approximately 12% (I have BF calipers) - slightly visible 6-pack when flexing.[/quote]

I know where you’re coming from – I’m a lot the same way – but Chris is right with “you can probably sort a lot of it out with simple time under the bar”. It’s not that the details don’t matter, but they don’t matter as much as you or I want them to.

Make sure that the movements you’re doing are stimulating the right areas, and adjust when they’re not. If you’re doing flat BB bench and your pecs aren’t being stimulated, then you know that’s not a good movement, for you, to build your pecs. But it may be a great tricep movement for you, so you can use that knowledge when figuring out how to best work your arms.

One of the ways you can test to see if a movement is hitting the right spot is to just do several high-rep sets to get a pump, and see if you’re getting a pump where you want to be. If you are, you know that movement pattern will work for you. If not, make some changes and try something else.

For me, I like BB guillotine press on a flat bench (with safety bars and/or a spotter) to hit both my upper and lower chest, and minimize arm and front-delt involvement. However, they can also be hell on your shoulders, so it may not be a good movement for you.

As you’ve already read, a lot of other people seem to have success with low-incline BB bench.

But to echo the advice that was given to me, focus on just putting on mass in roughly the right areas right now, and focus on the details later. If you have a great upper chest relative to your lower chest, but have no chest overall, it doesn’t really matter.

[quote]labean wrote:

[/quote]

How is the rest of your chest? At 6’1" and 174 lbs I find it hard to believe that upper chest is the only thing holding you back? Any chance of a pic? I’m, guessing you need to seriously fill out your frame. But I’m not sure what your goal is?

Eat more. Do some incline DB pressing after you bench.

These threads are getting old. It’s like someone just starting 3rd grade math asking what they should be doing to learn calculus.

Incline,
Flat,
Decline,
DB,
BB,
HS,
Smith

Do them all! Make progress. Win.