EModa Clothing

[quote]Damici wrote:
Obviously there are a zillion items on that sight, many of which I don’t like at all but a few of which I really do like. But putting that aside for a sec – do you really buy t-shirts (or any article of clothing) with the intention of continuing to wear it 5 or 10 years from now??

schultzie wrote:
theres a difference between being fashionable, and being trendy. this shit will be embarassing to wear in 5 - 10 years

[/quote]

If I spent $ 561 for an article of clothing I would expect to wear it in 5 years.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I’d just like to point out that a lot of people get into bodybuilding to look good. Clothes are an essential component to looking good. If aethetics is your goal, shopping at wal-mart for your clothes is not logical. Not saying anything about e-moda in particular (actually I’ve heard they have really bad customer service), but I just get the impression that some people on here play down the importance of style a bit too much. [/quote]

well played sir.

bodybuilding practically by definition is tryin to turn your body into the “perfect” body. i didnt get started lifting by saying “i wanna look good” i just started lifting and then i was like wow i like how i look and started trying to improve upon that and so on and so on. then my confidence got a lot higher and i grew out of that baggy clothes phase i was in and now i wear clothes that are a lot more fitting to form.

i completely agree with what you said in your post there was even an article recently about machosexuals or something…i just know they were talking about how just because youre a big dude dosent mean you have to dress in striped spandex and wear a fanny pack. it was also using Arnold as an example as he often liked to be well groomed and well dressed.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Obviously there are a zillion items on that sight, many of which I don’t like at all but a few of which I really do like. But putting that aside for a sec – do you really buy t-shirts (or any article of clothing) with the intention of continuing to wear it 5 or 10 years from now??

schultzie wrote:
theres a difference between being fashionable, and being trendy. this shit will be embarassing to wear in 5 - 10 years

[/quote]

exactly. you cant shop for clothes with that mindset of expecting it to last you a decade. if youre still wearing anything from the 90’s or even past 2005 i suggest you throw it out and wash your face, get your mind right lol. clothes arent the same as cars, they only need to last you a year or two, and thats being modest…theres some people who shop season to season and wont wear last fall’s clothes this spring.
life should be enjoyed. have fun and look good, dont worry about meaningless shit 5 years down the road, just enjoy the moment.

If you spent $561 on a t-shirt, THEN I’d make an exception. Feel free to wear it 5 years from now, and everyday between now and then. :slight_smile:

As for the rest of the subject at hand, some people obviously don’t mind paying a little more on fashionable clothes, in most cases because they can afford to do so, so spending X dollars on a shirt won’t change their lives at all. If you don’t wont to do so, don’t do so.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Damici wrote:

schultzie wrote:

If I spent $ 561 for an article of clothing I would expect to wear it in 5 years.[/quote]

I put a lot more merit in my other attributes than my clothing…one doesnt to be a fashion whore in order to put their best foot forward. There is a large amount of gray area between dressing like a slob and not spending huge amounts of money on transient things like clothing.

Having to chase trends and spend exorbitant amounts of money on goofy ass clothes is a pretty sure sign that you dont have style. I liked the statement about Sinatra, as it is pretty true.

This whole “vintage” thing is bullshit. Why are you going to pay $200 for a pair of jeans you most likely could have picked up at goodwill? I need to convince some idiots that ratty t-shirts with pit stains and rust stains are cool so I can make some bucks off of my old training gear.

How many t-shirts would people buy like that a year? Seriously I have no idea what some people spend on clothes but it just seems so wasteful. Do any of you people intend on having children or retiring?

But isn’t it lifterlike to plan on growing out of all your clothes within a few years at most? Isn’t growing out of your clothes and having to replace them a great feeling?

i wear the same pair of jeans everyday. Period. I also wear a T-shirt with it that I more than likely bought at JC-penny’s for $10. I’m also going to come out of college debt-free. Just something to think about.

What you wear and how interested you are in “fashion,” or in presenting yourself well visually in general will vary a whole lot based on who you are, where you live, your income level, your social circle, your lifestyle, your job, your activities and your personal taste.

That’s why making blanket statements like “It’s friggin’ stupid to pay $80 for a T-shirt!” is just silly.

For example, the guy who is single, makes $1 million+ per year, is a PR rep for hot new rock bands, lives in NYC or LA and often parties in Vegas or Miami is going to have a COMPLETELY different wardrobe, and fashion sense, from, say, the guy who works at a Wal-Mart shipping center in rural Missouri and has a wife and three kids.

That’s not meant to put down either of them. That’s just to point out that they are two very different individuals with very different financial situations and lifestyles, and who put very different amounts of value on style.

There is a difference between style and fashion. Style is timeless. Fashion is merely a fad.

If I don’t get 5-10 years out of a piece of clothing, then I feel I’ve gotten gypped. In fact, I have a shearling coat that I bought at a Timberland outlet 20 years ago. (Yeah, it’s older than some of you assholes). Every day I wear it people say “nice coat”. Usually, the next thing the say is some variation of, “I remember when those were popular”. Just because it is no longer “fashionable” doesn’t mean it lacks style.

By the way, as far as the crap on the EModa site, five years ago I worked the door of a club in Boston. Its patrons were the young and fashionable. The clothes on the Emoda site are what douchebag promoters and euro-trash living on daddy’s wealth were wearing back then. Welcome to 2003 fashion.

EModa has about 5 zillion items on it, so I’m not sure exactly what you’re referring to there, but let’s forget about EModa specifically for a second.

The point is that if you do certain things, hang out in certain circles, have a certain amount of money, have a certain type of social life – which is not to say it’s better or worse than anyone else’s – then you’re going to be more likely to be stylish/trendy/fashionable (whatever term you want to choose to describe it – whether it’s in style long-term or just temporarily).

If you and your crew show up to a club like Pure in Vegas on a Saturday night dressed in Old Navy and Gap gear with Carhart coats on, you and your crew aren’t partying in the VIP section at Pure that night. In fact, you and your crew aren’t partying in any section of Pure that night.

Now, you may very well have no interest whatsoever in going to Pure or any club like it. But the point is that different people with different interests and lifestyles will indeed find it just fine to spend more than $30 on a T-shirt.

That’s all.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
By the way, as far as the crap on the EModa site, five years ago I worked the door of a club in Boston. Its patrons were the young and fashionable. The clothes on the Emoda site are what douchebag promoters and euro-trash living on daddy’s wealth were wearing back then. Welcome to 2003 fashion.
[/quote]

As a college student , i find it hard affording/buying t-shirts anywhere near the 30$ range. Not only would it cost more than 400$ every couple of years…30$ x at least 12 shirts, but I find it even more disturbing when i think about how much these shirts really cost to make…no more than 7 bucks. I can definitely understand where someone who goes to clubs as a job , etc needs to buy fashionable clothes, but for regular people that have dreams of traveling, starting a family, bodybuilding , etc, i just do not see the point.

i work 18hrs a week at 8.75 and still manage to buy shirts @30+ …thats what a shirt costs. i mean you could buy plain t-shirts @ 5 for $20 at foot locker or something but it wouldnt look very good. and you could buy $20-25 jeans at the mall which i often do because a pair of faded jeans or vintage jeans is a pair of faded/vintage jeans and you cant tell the difference between 20-200 unless there is some serious stiching/designing which of course is reasonable to spend $100+ on.

i dont spend $80 on shirts, or $200 on jeans but the reason for spending more than you would on walmart clothes is because they look better and genereally theyre of higher quality. plus when you know you look good it feels good. who wants to walk around all bummy and shit?

im 20 years old working weekends…if i tried to save up money for a family, traveling, or whatever itd be completely fucking stupid becasue i dont make shit for money. save up when you have a good job, in the meantime enjoy your fucking youth and live for fun because you never know whats going to happen or what ISNT going to happen.

i bet most of you people hating on the clothes are either loners or old people who have familys and financial responsibilities which is understandable but as mentioned by someone else, your life is different so you do you and ill do me.

i also agree that trendy and stylish dont have to coincide. you can be stylish via making your own trends or doing your own thing, it has a lot to do with how you wear something.

anyway heres a recent shirt i got…not something youd find on eModa but it was $34 (only mine is white)

[quote]Damici wrote:
If you and your crew show up to a club like Pure in Vegas on a Saturday night dressed in Old Navy and Gap gear with Carhart coats on, you and your crew aren’t partying in the VIP section at Pure that night. In fact, you and your crew aren’t partying in any section of Pure that night.

[/quote]

Pure, like any decent nightclub has a dress code, enforced at management discretion. If you and your crew show up and all you have going for you is a bunch of $80 t-shirts, you aren’t getting in.

Ignoring Pure for a moment, because really, how many guys go out to Pure on a regular basis, if you are planning on going out to a club that you aren’t a regular at, you’re better off spending the money on a classic Brooks Brothers dress shirt (3/$199), and wearing it (untucked) with a nice pair of pants and stylish shoes. Show up like that and the doorman is much more likely to exercise his discretion and let you in.

Actually I often do wear those types of T-shirts to clubs like Pure and Tao and the like and get in with no problem :slight_smile: , but my point wasn’t about those T-shirts specifically, it was about dressing nicely or stylishly in general (however you might want to define that). I think you and I might agree on the overall point. The style in question will vary from one scene to the next.

Hot Vegas nightclubs are more prone to more funky, rock n’ roll type of fashion (which is often fairly pricey, “distressed”-looking stuff, some of which can be seen on EModa), whereas an average bar or club in Boston or anytown USA might be more in line with the Brooks Brothers shirt and nice shoes look. (In Vegas, for example, that would make you look a little like a run-of-the-mill tourist and isn’t really the flavor of the day their).

The point is, in either case, putting a little effort in and spending SOME money is something that people like to do (because it gets them somewhere – bottom line), as opposed to someone who just wears a cheap $25 Old Navy T-shirt with their wranglers and work boots.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Damici wrote:

Pure, like any decent nightclub has a dress code, enforced at management discretion. If you and your crew show up and all you have going for you is a bunch of $80 t-shirts, you aren’t getting in.

Ignoring Pure for a moment, because really, how many guys go out to Pure on a regular basis, if you are planning on going out to a club that you aren’t a regular at, you’re better off spending the money on a classic Brooks Brothers dress shirt (3/$199), and wearing it (untucked) with a nice pair of pants and stylish shoes. Show up like that and the doorman is much more likely to exercise his discretion and let you in.

[/quote]

[quote]Damici wrote:

The point is, in either case, putting a little effort in and spending SOME money is something that people like to do (because it gets them somewhere – bottom line), as opposed to someone who just wears a cheap $25 Old Navy T-shirt with their wranglers and work boots.

[/quote]

$25 t-shirt at Old Navy? They have things that cost that much at Old Navy? Don’t get me wrong, I love that place. I love it because I can get like 6 workout/work shirts for $16 that look sort of cool I guess.

I didn’t see one shirt at the Emoda place that didn’t look identical to Affliction/Hollister/AE crap.

If you are going to spend that much money on clothing, why not spend it on something stylish(as someone said, style is timeless). There is all this talk about having to look good to get into a posh club or something. You’re telling me they would turn you away if you wore a nice dress shirt with a tailored jacket and handmade leather shoes?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i work 18hrs a week at 8.75 and still manage to buy shirts @30+ …thats what a shirt costs. i mean you could buy plain t-shirts @ 5 for $20 at foot locker or something but it wouldnt look very good. and you could buy $20-25 jeans at the mall which i often do because a pair of faded jeans or vintage jeans is a pair of faded/vintage jeans and you cant tell the difference between 20-200 unless there is some serious stiching/designing which of course is reasonable to spend $100+ on.

i dont spend $80 on shirts, or $200 on jeans but the reason for spending more than you would on walmart clothes is because they look better and genereally theyre of higher quality. plus when you know you look good it feels good. who wants to walk around all bummy and shit?

im 20 years old working weekends…if i tried to save up money for a family, traveling, or whatever itd be completely fucking stupid becasue i dont make shit for money. save up when you have a good job, in the meantime enjoy your fucking youth and live for fun because you never know whats going to happen or what ISNT going to happen.

i bet most of you people hating on the clothes are either loners or old people who have familys and financial responsibilities which is understandable but as mentioned by someone else, your life is different so you do you and ill do me.

i also agree that trendy and stylish dont have to coincide. you can be stylish via making your own trends or doing your own thing, it has a lot to do with how you wear something.

anyway heres a recent shirt i got…not something youd find on eModa but it was $34 (only mine is white)[/quote]

What looks good to who? The people I meet and hang out with obviously arent put off by the fact that I dont spend all of my money on clothes. $30 for a t shirt is ridiculous and you are only willing to pay that much for it because the shallow people you want to hang out with have convinced you that spending that money on a shirt is going to give you what you want.

So being a student who isnt into expensive Euro-trash clothing makes me a loner? I dont enjoy my youth? Further proving to us exactly how shallow you are by making those assumptions based on the fact that I think its dumb to waste money on cheaply made clothes that wont be “in” in 6 months.

These arent “higher quality” clothes you are talking about, theyre regular t shirts that someone has convinced you are worth spending 3-4x the actual value on.

If you want to buy expensive clothes, then dont try to justify it by making statements like “I just care about how I look more than to wear clothes from Target, Walmart, etc. Not that theres anything wrong with that.” because you implying just that: that there is something wrong with it. Just say you like the clothes.

My point is that it aaaaaall depends on where you are, what circles you travel in, what clubs/bars/“scenes” you go to, where you live, etc., etc., etc. That’s all.

That’s why it’s way too simplistic and silly for someone to say “It’s just fucking stupid to pay $80 for a T-shirt!! No one should ever do that!!” That guy is obviously just part of a completely, totally different circle than the guy who does wear $80 T-shirts. No better or worse, just different. Different locale, different taste, different friends and acquaintances, goes to different kinds of establishments, lives a different lifestyle, has a different income level, etc., etc., etc.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Damici wrote:

$25 t-shirt at Old Navy? They have things that cost that much at Old Navy? Don’t get me wrong, I love that place. I love it because I can get like 6 workout/work shirts for $16 that look sort of cool I guess.

I didn’t see one shirt at the Emoda place that didn’t look identical to Affliction/Hollister/AE crap.

If you are going to spend that much money on clothing, why not spend it on something stylish(as someone said, style is timeless). There is all this talk about having to look good to get into a posh club or something. You’re telling me they would turn you away if you wore a nice dress shirt with a tailored jacket and handmade leather shoes?

[/quote]

i dont know what you guys are trying to argue; price or the given time for trends. if its price then please tell me what the difference between spending

$60 on a dress shirt
$100 dollars on “nice jeans”
$200 on hand made leather shoes

and

$60 on a thermal print shirt
%100 on “nice jeans”
$200 on Nike Dunks

both come to the same price so wtf? the only difference is the style which is an individual ting.

if its the length of styles you guys are arguing…first, you dont know how long the trend/style will last for it could be a year it could be 5. if you buy a dress shirt and a jacket and some leather shoes you arent saving any more money than if you bought a monarchy shirt and some true religion jeans because either way you aint going to be wearing the same shit every time you go out…at least i hope yall dont go out wearing the same sports jacket you had for 5 years every time lmao.

good thing for me is i switch my styles around. i wear collard shirts, vintage jeans & whatever kind of shirts you want to call those, and urban-indie clothes aswell. and since Boston banned 18+ clubs i can go clubbing with just a t-shirt (a nice one), some jeans, and some fresh nikes.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

anyway heres a recent shirt i got…not something youd find on eModa but it was $34 (only mine is white)

What looks good to who? The people I meet and hang out with obviously arent put off by the fact that I dont spend all of my money on clothes. $30 for a t shirt is ridiculous and you are only willing to pay that much for it because the shallow people you want to hang out with have convinced you that spending that money on a shirt is going to give you what you want.

So being a student who isnt into expensive Euro-trash clothing makes me a loner? I dont enjoy my youth? Further proving to us exactly how shallow you are by making those assumptions based on the fact that I think its dumb to waste money on cheaply made clothes that wont be “in” in 6 months.

These arent “higher quality” clothes you are talking about, theyre regular t shirts that someone has convinced you are worth spending 3-4x the actual value on.

If you want to buy expensive clothes, then dont try to justify it by making statements like “I just care about how I look more than to wear clothes from Target, Walmart, etc. Not that theres anything wrong with that.” because you implying just that: that there is something wrong with it. Just say you like the clothes.[/quote]

i dont buy clothes BECAUSE theyre more expensive i buy clothes that i like. im not trying to attract people based on how much my clothes cost either. i dont want to hang out with shallow people, and my friends arent shallow either. im probaly the only person out of my circle who spends that.

and yes, shirts outside of target and walmart cost $30 i dont care where you shop, but it seems as if your whole reasoning to shop at target and walmart isnt because you LIKE the clothes its because your telling yourself you cant have anything else. if you dont like to dress nice then its all good, do you.

i work for my money, i dont even work a lot of hours, but i spend my money on things that i enjoy. i buy the clothes that i like, that i think look good. by wearing them i would hope to attract other people who think they look good…how that has anything to do with shallowness is beyond me.

http://shop.80spurple.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=me_99658_gry

http://shop.80spurple.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ik_money_blk

http://www.karmaloop.com/kazbah-products.asp?ProductID=29587&VendorCode=TWOKB

http://www.karmaloop.com/popup/zoomtest.asp?ProductID=32726&VendorCode=9GRKB

http://www.80spurple.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=21135&image=0&osCsid=n9f751vco3n3h52eipeikusge1

so those are links to some of the shirts i have which range from $20-30…because i dont know how to use images with this site lol