T Nation

Emily's Playground aka Let's Process our Feelings III

From my time as an EMT, I always got kind of annoyed at the big porkers that we had to move, hurt my back once moving one. But then I’d get really mad at my collegues who bitched about and made fun of them, because you can’t leave a fellow human being in that condition, even if it is of their own making.

So I have no clue how I would respond to slavery. Pity? Anger? Disgust? Shame? Some of my ancestors owned slaves, several generations before the war.

As an American I have no frame of reference for slavery, because there is nothing in our modern society as repugnant as slavery. But then there’s that creepy feeling that if I was born and raised around it, it might not bother me so much, the way it didn’t bother 99% of society North or South that much. I like to think I’m better than that. But yeah, there’s disgust and shame.

I see these ignorant kids riding around with rebel flags on their trucks and T-Shirts, and I definitely feel irritation, but also amusement. Especially when I see the guys with the “If this flag offends you then you need a history lesson” cause that ignorant motherfucker is always the least knowledgeable about history or any other subject you could name.

Here’s a picture of some Confederate Soldiers marching through Frederick Maryland in 1862.

I’m cutting and pasting here from http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/civil_war/cwcr/maryland_campaign_c.htm

by John Miller who probably cut and pasted it himself. I’ve read these same quotes elsewhere.

‘An unnamed citizen of Frederick City noted: “I have never seen a mass of such filthy strong-smelling men. Three in a room would make it unbearable, and when marching in column along the street the smell from them was most offensive… The filth that pervades them is most remarkable… They have no uniforms, but are all well armed and equipped, and have become so inured to hardships that they care but little for any of the comforts of civilization… They are the roughest looking set of creatures I ever saw, their features, hair and clothing matted with dirt and filth, and the scratching they kept up gave warrant of vermin in abundance.” Another observer described the Confederates simply as “a lean and hungry set of wolves.”’

My Great-Great-Great Grandfather on my mother’s side was with Jackson in the Valley Campaigns of 1862, in The Seven Days at Richmond, and was mortally wounded at Cedar Mountain. I went to Lee’s Tomb when I was a kid and his Sarcophagus was surrounded by original confederate battle flags. The flag poles where old saplings and tree limbs that were cut on some battle field when the original pole was shot to pieces. So there is awe and pride at the feats of arms they accomplished in those 4 years, and given the chance I would probably march with them. Cause fuck those yankees.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
I love the Confederacy! And all it stands for.

[/quote]

Sarcasm noted. All of my male ancestors fought for the confederacy, and some of them died for it, but I’m pretty ambivalent about it. Ambivalence is a feeling, right?[/quote]

The ancestors I know of were confederate deserters who were hidden by the local farmers because they were coming back home to try to bring in the crops. Too poor for slaves, too poor to care about war. [/quote]

One of the things that pisses me off about the Confederacy is how they made an exemption to their draft for anyone who owned 10 or more slaves, the logic being that those men needed to stay home to keep an eye on those slaves. So, those motherfuckers were sending other guys off to fight and die for their “property rights” but they were too important to go. So that’s anger.[/quote]

Well, how is that really any different than what happened on the other side? I mean, if you were a rich northerner and you got a draft notice in the mail, you could hire some other poor fucker to go serve in your place.

I’m cutting and pasting here
by John Miller who probably cut and pasted it himself.

Cause fuck those yankees.[/quote]

Is this a quote from John Miller our is it yours?

[quote]scoots2 wrote:

[/quote]

Well it’s a quote from Miller’s website, hence the link and the credit. However, the statements by the witnesses have been used in many different books and were probably first published in newspapers or magazines of the day.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

Sarcasm noted. All of my male ancestors fought for the confederacy, and some of them died for it, but I’m pretty ambivalent about it. Ambivalence is a feeling, right?[/quote]

The ancestors I know of were confederate deserters who were hidden by the local farmers because they were coming back home to try to bring in the crops. Too poor for slaves, too poor to care about war. [/quote]

One of the things that pisses me off about the Confederacy is how they made an exemption to their draft for anyone who owned 10 or more slaves, the logic being that those men needed to stay home to keep an eye on those slaves. So, those motherfuckers were sending other guys off to fight and die for their “property rights” but they were too important to go. So that’s anger.[/quote]

Well, how is that really any different than what happened on the other side? I mean, if you were a rich northerner and you got a draft notice in the mail, you could hire some other poor fucker to go serve in your place.[/quote]

Both sides did that, but to me it seems more morally repugnant for the Southerners, because the Northerner’s property and property rights weren’t really in jeopardy.

[quote]scoots2 wrote:

[/quote]

Well it’s a quote from Miller’s website, hence the link and the credit. However, the statements by the witnesses have been used in many different books and were probably first published in newspapers or magazines of the day.
[/quote]

Thanks man, enjoy the day!

[quote]scoots2 wrote:

[quote]scoots2 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks man, enjoy the day!
[/quote]

Oh, I see what you did there.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

Well, how is that really any different than what happened on the other side? I mean, if you were a rich northerner and you got a draft notice in the mail, you could hire some other poor fucker to go serve in your place.[/quote]

Both sides did that, but to me it seems more morally repugnant for the Southerners, because the Northerner’s property and property rights weren’t really in jeopardy.[/quote]

Every slave society was afraid of a slave uprising and for good reason.

Even the Spartans were reluctant to engage in long campaigns.

From my time as an EMT, I always got kind of annoyed at the big porkers that we had to move, hurt my back once moving one. But then I’d get really mad at my collegues who bitched about and made fun of them, because you can’t leave a fellow human being in that condition, even if it is of their own making.

So I have no clue how I would respond to slavery. Pity? Anger? Disgust? Shame? Some of my ancestors owned slaves, several generations before the war.

As an American I have no frame of reference for slavery, because there is nothing in our modern society as repugnant as slavery. But then there’s that creepy feeling that if I was born and raised around it, it might not bother me so much, the way it didn’t bother 99% of society North or South that much. I like to think I’m better than that. But yeah, there’s disgust and shame.[/quote]

I’ve asked myself the same question and came up with the same mix of hope and fear. Please God, let me be above that.

Realistically, it probably would not have been an issue for me. I’d have been on one of jbpick’s dirt farms, hoping like hell I wouldn’t starve.

Still.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Hi Emily.

How are you?

Any shocking stories to tell?

[/quote]

No, nothing going on here. Got a little jolt of pleasure when flowers showed up for Valentine’s Day, but that’s about it.

Emily, I live vicariously through your stories now. Make something happen.

[quote]theBeth wrote:
Emily, I live vicariously through your stories now. Make something happen.[/quote]

I’m working on it, Beth. I’m working on it.

x2

For some reason I have very strong feelings when it comes to fucking those Yankees.

Why?

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
Emily, I live vicariously through your stories now. Make something happen.[/quote]

I’m working on it, Beth. I’m working on it.[/quote]

I’m glad your life is drama free!

in this world of internet bullying, I appreciate that both the Mighty O, and our sweet EmmyDearest are able to have relevant, biting conversations - and yet, still remain decent and treat each other with respect.

it makes me have hope for humanity.

(sniff)

[quote]Edgy wrote:
in this world of internet bullying, I appreciate that both the Mighty O, and our sweet EmmyDearest are able to have relevant, biting conversations - and yet, still remain decent and treat each other with respect.

it makes me have hope for humanity.

(sniff)[/quote]

I have feelings to process, but no time right now because I have to work out.