Emily's Playground aka Let's Process our Feelings III

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Ohhh jeez… Thats the one that The Brady Bunch moved out of.[/quote]

Yes. But there’s even nicer stuff yet!

That does have a kind of Lovecraftian charm to it.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Ohhh jeez… Thats the one that The Brady Bunch moved out of.[/quote]

Yes. But there’s even nicer stuff yet![/quote]

Nice of them to pave tracks for the German tanks.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

You have posted some of the work you do and while they might be able to compete with some of the works in European churches in terms of craftsmanship you cannot compete with the gravitas of a gothic cathedral that was built by one generation after another who never expected to see the final church.

There is a “closer my God, to you” aspect those cathedrals have, that a church that was practically stamped out of the ground cannot have.[/quote]

They probably threw this up in a day, but I’ve been inside and it’s not entirely shabby.[/quote]

You have gay cathedrals…

I did not know that there was such a thing, but NTTIAWWT…

Stephansdom, right at the heart of Vienna.

Votivkirche

Ruprechtskirche, oldest church in Vienna, 1000 and something years old.

Just adding to the American side of things. I think one of the things we do best is just “borrowing” everyone else’s ideas and putting it together in our own ways. Architectural fusion, really.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Compete with some?!? Ha! Then theres that place in india we built for , the taj masomething…[/quote]
Did not know that. That’s pretty cool.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Compete with some?!? Ha! Then theres that place in india we built for , the taj masomething…[/quote]
Did not know that. That’s pretty cool.[/quote]
Thanks. The shop drawing usualy only has the name of the glasier or architect on it, then we only find out where it went after the fact.

And curse this little flip phone and its tiny screen. O, those cathedrals are phenominal. I’ll have to look those up on a real monitor.

Orion. Google “cathedrals usa” and you will see that we, too, have big, impressive churches, nearer our God to be. Along with our kick ass houses.

LoRez, wow, you and I do not share similar sensibilities regarding houses. I had a hard time with the housing styles while living in Texas. They all seemed so. . . Home Depot-looking. A couple of yours are okay for me, but you have to be at a pretty high price point before I start thinking “oh, that’s pretty.” Whereas I find inexpensive versions of the houses I posted charming, assuming they’re kept up.

Of course, it’s all setting-dependent. A farmhouse set on a cliff over the pacific would be silly. One of yours would be more appropriate.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

If any of the countries associated with me (and fine housing) are causing you and yours heartache, I apologize.

[/quote]

Like a dog with a new bone are you.

(Sorry; more than 4 words)[/quote]

Feeling pretty chatty, are you? lol

How are you doing? Any feelings to process?

[quote]orion wrote:
Stephansdom, right at the heart of Vienna. [/quote]

Vienna is a beautiful city in a beautiful country. One of the most beautiful countries I have seen.

We Muricans are not going to be able to measure up to Old World religious architecture, though I will note that our National Cathedral has a bust of Darth Vader, a stained-glass window with a moon rock set into it, and a wood carving of the Albion Lion eating an Adolph Hitler snake.

Still, I concede that stuff like the above cannot be matched. It is the Cathedral of Burgos. It’s well regarded by architectural historians but not popular with international tourists. It’s in a small, minor (though gorgeous: anyone who gets the opportunity ought to go there) Spanish city. My point is if that’s the kind of talent Europe has on its farm team, we don’t want to face off against their pros.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
LoRez, wow, you and I do not share similar sensibilities regarding houses. I had a hard time with the housing styles while living in Texas. They all seemed so. . . Home Depot-looking. A couple of yours are okay for me, but you have to be at a pretty high price point before I start thinking “oh, that’s pretty.” Whereas I find inexpensive versions of the houses I posted charming, assuming they’re kept up.

Of course, it’s all setting-dependent. A farmhouse set on a cliff over the pacific would be silly. One of yours would be more appropriate.
[/quote]
I’m not really sure what “Home Depot-looking” is. Lots of orange and steel and boxy rectangular shapes? Do you distinguish between “Home Depot-looking” and “Lowes-looking”?

Although my point of the pictures was really to show the diversity of architectural backgrounds we draw from.

What I really want, but what I’m not ready to build, is a two-story courtyard home, with covered outdoor living spaces, something between the Moorish designs of Andalucia, the riads of Morocco, the shikumen of Shanghai. Everything points inwards, everything is a mix of indoor and outdoor spaces, blending and balancing stone, tile, fabrics, plants, trees, flowers, water, fire/lanterns. The front door serves a gateway to a different world.

But… that’s a ways down the road.

Meanwhile, a hip-roofed box, accented with gables and timberwork, is probably what we’re actually going to build. Upmarket Craftsman. Because that will fit in to the area, it will resell well, and it gives us the spaces we want at a price we’re willing to pay.

So, eh, settling I suppose.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

If any of the countries associated with me (and fine housing) are causing you and yours heartache, I apologize.

[/quote]

Like a dog with a new bone are you.

(Sorry; more than 4 words)[/quote]

Feeling pretty chatty, are you? lol

How are you doing? Any feelings to process?[/quote]

:slight_smile:

I’m well, thanks.

Feelings? Hmmmm.

I guess I’ve been acutely aware of my own mortality lately.

A teacher of mine died suddenly, the mother of a good friend passed away – to be followed by his brother a week later, and my own mother turned 85 this summer.

Oh, and I finally bought my first Official Japanese Funeral Suit to wear to future sad events.

Like I said: mortality.
[/quote]

My mother died when I was 21 and my last natural grandparent (the only one alive through my childhood) a year later. My father died almost 15 years ago now. Every one of them from heart attacks, so from my perspective they each simply dropped dead one day. I’m very death-aware, not so much of my own mortality, but others’. I’m terrified that my best friend will drop dead, or that Hockey will.

There are positives here for me. I embrace very tightly the people I love, tend to think that if something is a good idea that we should do it now rather than later, and take very little for granted.

On the down side, I’m pretty much a nervous wreck waiting for what few people I have left to topple over and never get back up.

Do you believe in an afterlife, Chushin?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]
I’m not really sure what “Home Depot-looking” is. Lots of orange and steel and boxy rectangular shapes? Do you distinguish between “Home Depot-looking” and “Lowes-looking”?

Although my point of the pictures was really to show the diversity of architectural backgrounds we draw from.

What I really want, but what I’m not ready to build, is a two-story courtyard home, with covered outdoor living spaces, something between the Moorish designs of Andalucia, the riads of Morocco, the shikumen of Shanghai. Everything points inwards, everything is a mix of indoor and outdoor spaces, blending and balancing stone, tile, fabrics, plants, trees, flowers, water, fire/lanterns. The front door serves a gateway to a different world.

But… that’s a ways down the road.

Meanwhile, a hip-roofed box, accented with gables and timberwork, is probably what we’re actually going to build. Upmarket Craftsman. Because that will fit in to the area, it will resell well, and it gives us the spaces we want at a price we’re willing to pay.

So, eh, settling I suppose.[/quote]

Home Depot-looking. . . modern, generic, prioritizing size over form or function, lacking coziness.

I will say that what you describe sounds incredible, and I love indoor/outdoor space in regions where that is possible. Almost enough to seek relocation to one of those regions, when I think closely enough upon it.