Emily's Playground aka Let's Process our Feelings III

This song gives me lots of feels. Happy. . .wistful. . .and then, at the end, sad. I want what he describes, but then it leaves me vulnerable to the ending. :confused:

Hi.

I just kind of straight-up disappeared after that last post. Feel almost like I should apologize.

Things are good now though. Had to walk away from a few things to get the other stuff back in a good place.

Work stuff changed a lot. Basically I’ve been writing stuff on a PC for DOS/Windows in some way or another since 1990, and they moved me over to all Apple stuff, writing for iPhone and iPad. I wouldn’t say it’s about as different as could be, but pretty close. Finally getting the hang of it. At least it’s the same people, same company, same team.

And a bunch of other stuff. A funeral. House stuff. A coworker moved out here, just around the corner. Then another one, a month later.

We’re shopping around for a new builder. We’re just not seeing eye-to-eye with the people we were working with. They’re trying to tell us what we want, instead of listening to what we actually want; there’s been more arguing than collaboration.

We have a nearly-final plan though, so that’s cool. And we’ve got materials and finishes and fixtures and stuff pretty well figured out too.

So yeah, things are good now.

What’s new around here?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Hi.

I just kind of straight-up disappeared after that last post. Feel almost like I should apologize.

Things are good now though. Had to walk away from a few things to get the other stuff back in a good place.

Work stuff changed a lot. Basically I’ve been writing stuff on a PC for DOS/Windows in some way or another since 1990, and they moved me over to all Apple stuff, writing for iPhone and iPad. I wouldn’t say it’s about as different as could be, but pretty close. Finally getting the hang of it. At least it’s the same people, same company, same team.

And a bunch of other stuff. A funeral. House stuff. A coworker moved out here, just around the corner. Then another one, a month later.

We’re shopping around for a new builder. We’re just not seeing eye-to-eye with the people we were working with. They’re trying to tell us what we want, instead of listening to what we actually want; there’s been more arguing than collaboration.

We have a nearly-final plan though, so that’s cool. And we’ve got materials and finishes and fixtures and stuff pretty well figured out too.

So yeah, things are good now.

What’s new around here?[/quote]

Hey, it’s good to see you!

Nothing really much is new around here. Orion was so stung by my American houses smack-down above that he’s evidently been curled up in a ball of shame, probably under a couch somewhere, and unable to post.

Chushin is around, mostly posting 4-word statements of inscrutable wisdom.

I’m here, doing manual labor on my house and crushing on my man. I joined him overnight for a business trip Sunday so I could hit the fancy mall across from his hotel. We took two cars because he had to stay for the week. I left before him to get gas and when I came home found the pictured item. Almost two years now and it’s just as good and melty.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
I’m here, doing manual labor on my house and crushing on my man. I joined him overnight for a business trip Sunday so I could hit the fancy mall across from his hotel. We took two cars because he had to stay for the week. I left before him to get gas and when I came home found the pictured item. Almost two years now and it’s just as good and melty.
[/quote]

I don’t post in this thread, but I have lurked a bit to see what sort of feelings are being processed.

A recurring theme in the thread is Emily’s sentiments for Hockey. For the most part, I thought her reactions were cute, and did not put much thought into it. However, it hit me that I have never really felt love for a woman or another person to the extent that Emily describes. I am generally an empathetic and warm person, but I have never really felt that kind of love for anyone and I have never been married (I am 39).

On one hand, although I enjoy the company of women, my happiness is not conditioned by my relationships; on the other hand, I don’t know what it is like to feel the ecstatic love that Emily describes.

One might argue that men are by nature less emotional than women, and the difference between Emily’s experience and mine is gender based. However, I think there is so much variation between people that these sort of generalizations become useless.

I have some pondering to do.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
[/quote]

I don’t post in this thread, but I have lurked a bit to see what sort of feelings are being processed.

A recurring theme in the thread is Emily’s sentiments for Hockey. For the most part, I thought her reactions were cute, and did not put much thought into it. However, it hit me that I have never really felt love for a woman or another person to the extent that Emily describes. I am generally an empathetic and warm person, but I have never really felt that kind of love for anyone and I have never been married (I am 39).

On one hand, although I enjoy the company of women, my happiness is not conditioned by my relationships; on the other hand, I don’t know what it is like to feel the ecstatic love that Emily describes.

One might argue that men are by nature less emotional than women, and the difference between Emily’s experience and mine is gender based. However, I think there is so much variation between people that these sort of generalizations become useless.

I have some pondering to do.
[/quote]

I think you’re right about gender differences*. I’ve come to feel that women’s lives are by and large centered on their men and children. So men are the sun and women are the planets orbiting them. Men seem to be more central to their own lives, with the different facets of their lives in orbit. So wife, family, job, public sphere activities are all there and important, but not at their core.

I would also say that I may be somewhat exceptional in my tendency to exuberant love/appreciation/gratitude. Hockey is not as effusive, and the note I posted above is not something I see or hear every day. If someone were to ask him how it’s going with me he’d probably say “oh, very well.”

Still, I know he values it as I do. To have someone at your side you can trust, someone with whom you share a mission, someone who’ll have your back when you need that and to cheer you forward when you need THAT. . . to me this is desirable even when it’s not as joyously embraced as mine is. A best friend with whom you get to have sex. It’s a pretty good gig!

*Standard disclaimer here about generalizations being valid only to the extent they are.

Imma gonna go now and vote for the social democrats in vienna.

Then I shall return home and spend hours under the shower with a bottle of vodka to cleanse myself both, inwards and outwards.

How, why, why has it come to this?
Next time a nation that shall not be named destabilizes a region so that there are a few million refugees would this nation be so kind as to take those masses in, as a statue that shall also not be named practically begs for and not let us deal with their mess which might include far right wing duncish shitlord assclowns ruling my city.

So O, what kind of game does one run on those refugee babes?

Too soon?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
So O, what kind of game does one run on those refugee babes?

Too soon? [/quote]

Hey baby, I can heat my appartment,I can!

Call me when the first snow falls.

Snow?

Oh, you will know it when you see it…

SPOE at almost 40, FPOE at 30, they were neck to neck a few days ago.

Seems I was not the only one.

HOLY FECES of SATAN
Orion, you voted left?!
Even NOW, because right=bad and that’s the mostest thing that matters?!?!

Europe is truly doomed if our left-hemisphere reflexes have been so thoroughly pavlovionized.
Guess its time to buy a few megagallons of asslube as long as it’s cheap.

Im lost for words.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
HOLY FECES of SATAN
Orion, you voted left?!
Even NOW, because right=bad and that’s the mostest thing that matters?!?!

Europe is truly doomed if our left-hemisphere reflexes have been so thoroughly pavlovionized.
Guess its time to buy a few megagallons of asslube as long as it’s cheap.

Im lost for words.[/quote]

I have no problem with them being right wing, I have a problem with them being the populist,authoritarian and completely useless form of rightwing.

They already ruined one state, Carinthia, because, when in power they are corrupt to the bone.

Look at their slogans:

“Dahoam statt Islam”

“Heimatliebe statt Marokkanerdiebe”

“Willst Du eine Gemeindewohnung haben, musst Du wohl ein Kopftuch tragen”

“Pummerin statt Muezzin”

They simply switched from anti-semitism to anti-Islamic sentiments because contrary to popular belief anti -semitism does not get you too many votes in Austria (admittedly, does not stop you from getting them either) and of course because there is real fear there to be exploited.

Alas, not even the majority of FPOE voters want them to actually govern, because they offer no solutions, they want the other parties to govern better and to adress the problems the FPOE kind of does.

[quote]orion wrote:

Then I shall return home and spend hours under the shower with a bottle of vodka to cleanse myself both, inwards and outwards.

Next time a nation that shall not be named destabilizes a region so that there are a few million refugees would this nation be so kind as to take those masses in, as a statue that shall also not be named practically begs for and not let us deal with their mess which might include far right wing duncish shitlord assclowns ruling my city.
[/quote]

If any of the countries associated with me (and fine housing) are causing you and yours heartache, I apologize.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

If any of the countries associated with me (and fine housing) are causing you and yours heartache, I apologize.

[/quote]

Well, even if there might be some bearable houses in said country, I would not say that it is “associated” with it.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, even if there might be some bearable houses in said country, I would not say that it is “associated” with it. [/quote]
Ya know O, generaly I agree with you on the houses, but we’ve been doing some real doozies for a few churches in the past year. Easily on par with some of europes finest.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, even if there might be some bearable houses in said country, I would not say that it is “associated” with it. [/quote]
Ya know O, generaly I agree with you on the houses, but we’ve been doing some real doozies for a few churches in the past year. Easily on par with some of europes finest. [/quote]

You have posted some of the work you do and while they might be able to compete with some of the works in European churches in terms of craftsmanship you cannot compete with the gravitas of a gothic cathedral that was built by one generation after another who never expected to see the final church.

There is a “closer my God, to you” aspect those cathedrals have, that a church that was practically stamped out of the ground cannot have.

[quote]orion wrote:

You have posted some of the work you do and while they might be able to compete with some of the works in European churches in terms of craftsmanship you cannot compete with the gravitas of a gothic cathedral that was built by one generation after another who never expected to see the final church.

There is a “closer my God, to you” aspect those cathedrals have, that a church that was practically stamped out of the ground cannot have.[/quote]

They probably threw this up in a day, but I’ve been inside and it’s not entirely shabby.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ya know O, generaly I agree with you on the houses, but we’ve been doing some real doozies for a few churches in the past year. Easily on par with some of europes finest. [/quote]

There is a “closer my God, to you” aspect those cathedrals have, that a church that was practically stamped out of the ground cannot have.[/quote]
Compete with some?!? Ha! Then theres that place in india we built for , the taj masomething…
You’re right about some of the old cathedrals. Those are not even possible anymore.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

They probably threw this up in a day, but I’ve been inside and it’s not entirely shabby.[/quote]
Doing some renovation work for that one currently!

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Compete with some?!? Ha! Then theres that place in india we built for , the taj masomething…
You’re right about some of the old cathedrals. Those are not even possible anymore.[/quote]

However, cathedrals and churches were not the question. I think it fair to say that Europe has churches and castles down pat.

Houses, however. . .a brief search of real estate in suburban Austria reveals that there is room for improvement.

Ohhh jeez… Thats the one that The Brady Bunch moved out of.