T Nation

Emergency Cut! Comp This Weekend

so my wrestling coach calls me today and tells me I’m competing this weekend after not practicing since the Christmas camp. Problem is I need to weigh 96 kg but I’m at 104 right now(about 18lbs). Weighins are Friday night. I have cut the weight before but it wasn’t pretty. Any suggestions?

Ugh… no suggestions because I’ve never done that, but that’s what I hate about wrestling… it really ain’t healthy for you young bucks to be doin this shit.

Either way, good luck.

Get about 10 cans of dip, a bag of celery, and lots of trash bags. Cardio for 15-30 mins followed by sitting in the sauna for 15-30 minutes every morning, with trashbags on. When you get hungry, chew the celery and spit it out, then put a dip in. When you get really thirsty, just wet your mouth, only swallow a tiny bit, wet your mouth and spit it out. It’ll trick your body. If you eat a power bar or something, break it into 3 parts, and only eat one part as a meal, chew the fuck out of it. Best of luck man, its going to be tough but if you dont quit you can get it done.

You can drop mabey 8-10 in water weight 18 is pushing it.

How much have you cut before? Your coach fucked you by the way - at this point in my life, I’d tell him that there’s no way I’d do this for him, but I do understand the pressures to compete and be successful that come with being young.

How old are you? I originally wrote out what I do, but I’m not that comfortable giving this advice over the internet when I can’t really ensure that you won’t fuck yourself up terribly doing this.

I don’t mean to be a bitch about it because I’ve done some retarded shit when I was in highschool to make weight. 18 lbs isn’t necessarily impossible, but how are you going to compete if you haven’t been training either?

I read somewhere here that there’s no limit to the amount of weight you can lose (water) because the body is over 60% water.

May be some Taraxatone or Lasix might help?

By the way, I recently got sick and lost 16 lbs in 6 days because I had to eat a liquid diet.

I think it’s possible in your case, but 18 pounds sounds like a lot.

Screw it, this is what I do.

My method isn’t very scientific but it works for me. Basically I pound water all day everyday, at least a couple gallons/day for the week leading up to the weigh in.

The day before the weigh ins I cut out all liquids, meaning I don’t drink anything at all from the moment I wake up, if it gets too unbearable I might put an ice cube in my mouth. I usually have a light practice, roll a couple times to get a sweat on.

The weight I wake up at the next day will determine how hard the cut is, if I’m within 10 or 11 lbs, it’ll be an easy cut. If I’m over that, it may suck donkey dick.

Basically I get a bunch of layers on and either hit the treadmill (I prefer the treadmill) or the bike for about 30 min to an hour, then straight into the sauna until I’m on weight.

I don’t know how much water you can lose personally. I sweat a shitload and can typically drop around 10-15 lbs of water in about an hour or so no problem (when hydrated, after cutting out water for a day, it’ll be closer to two hours.) So use my method at your own risk and detriment to performance.

When I was wrestling in highschool our first preseason tournament came about two weeks after football season ended. Basically I had about two weeks to drop around 35 pounds.

I survived on celery and an occasional piece of toast with peanut butter(maybe around two a day) until I was around ten lbs over, then it got bumped up to a couple of eggs for breakfast and a chicken salad for dinner. My senior year I made the mistake of actually eating meals for a couple days after getting within ten pounds…big mistake as your body can put weight back on fast if you go the starvation method.

It doesn’t sound like you have time to starve yourself really, and that method left me pretty weak and wasted anyway. After writing this and thinking about it, I can’t believe how much we used to starve ourselves.

I’ll say again that you should just tell your coach that you aren’t going to do this tourney.

i started a thread on thhis a while ago, and got some good advice here: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/cutting_weight_4

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
i started a thread on thhis a while ago, and got some good advice here: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/cutting_weight_4 [/quote]

apbt55 had a nicely prepared approach to his cut, good info.

[quote]Omega_12 wrote:
so my wrestling coach calls me today and tells me I’m competing this weekend after not practicing since the Christmas camp. Problem is I need to weigh 96 kg but I’m at 104 right now(about 18lbs). Weighins are Friday night. I have cut the weight before but it wasn’t pretty. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Firstly, I’d tell your coach to get fucked. That’s a ridiculous ask.

But anyway, all I can suggest is cut sodium , and cut out ALL carbs. Alot of cardio, alot of time in the sauna. Good luck buddy, your in for a shit fight.

let me preface this by saying that cutting isn’t healthy.

that being said this really isn’t a big cut.
is it unfair. Yes.
You want to wrestle , get over it. The cut at your size is big enough,but manageable.
Most guys in college (in the US) are cutting that much.
Unless your body fat is sub 10% its not an unmanageable cut.

But more importantly ,why are you competing when you have not been to any practices since Christmas?
that is like 60+ days ago?
that doesn’t make any sense.
that to me is going to leave you less prepared then any cut.

reduce your complex carbs,
increase your water intake
I like epsom salt baths
combine that with some low tech
progressively smaller meals and sweating out some weight and you will be fine.

good luck be safe, and really think if this is the right coach for you.

I’m 18 years old for nationals last year I cut 20 lbs in 48 hours with less prep than this. Tjos tome Day 1(Monday) consisted of two practices 2 chicken breasts 3 chicken breasts and 12 liters or 3 galons of water result, I weighed 101.8kg on Tuesday from 104.2kg on Monday with no drop in performance. For today 1 less chicken breast and more water tomorrow just the protien shakes and water. I think I will make the weight a lot easier this time it won’t be so miserable.

As for my coach doing this it’s not that bad first consider that this is university level wrestling next that eventhough I haven’t trained I still walk on the matt after 60+ days and compete with guys that have been training since September plus when it came conditioning time which was numerous sets of sprints sit ups and push ups I was actually faster than half the room which isn’t anything remarkable but pretty good considering.

The thing with wrestling and I guess most other sports is you drill technique till your bored and then some more to create “muscle memory” which makes it a he’ll of a lot easier to recall it after extended periods of time this is why I can expect to compete this weekend because of all the hard work in the past. Other than making weight I think my biggest problem is conditioning which is huge…

2 chicken breasts and 3 protein shakes

[quote]Omega_12 wrote:
I’m 18 years old for nationals last year I cut 20 lbs in 48 hours with less prep than this. Tjos tome Day 1(Monday) consisted of two practices 2 chicken breasts 3 chicken breasts and 12 liters or 3 galons of water result, I weighed 101.8kg on Tuesday from 104.2kg on Monday with no drop in performance. For today 1 less chicken breast and more water tomorrow just the protien shakes and water. I think I will make the weight a lot easier this time it won’t be so miserable.

As for my coach doing this it’s not that bad first consider that this is university level wrestling next that eventhough I haven’t trained I still walk on the matt after 60+ days and compete with guys that have been training since September plus when it came conditioning time which was numerous sets of sprints sit ups and push ups I was actually faster than half the room which isn’t anything remarkable but pretty good considering.

The thing with wrestling and I guess most other sports is you drill technique till your bored and then some more to create “muscle memory” which makes it a he’ll of a lot easier to recall it after extended periods of time this is why I can expect to compete this weekend because of all the hard work in the past. Other than making weight I think my biggest problem is conditioning which is huge…[/quote]

Not to be all whatever about this, but I’ve wrestled against some good wrestlers out of Canada, muscle memory or not, if you have genuinely not stepped on the mat for over two months and expect to perform competitively, either your competition sucks, you’re extremely gifted (like Cael Sanderson, though he trains constantly,) or you’re delusional.

your absolutely right but this is jr level and it’s only a provincial tourney so I’m only wrestling other 18 and 19 year olds the reason I’m doing this tourney is to get funding for the national tourney next month if I place well which I likely will due to limited # of athletes. I honestly don’t think I’m just gonna show up and win that’s horse shit and would make me incredibly niave or like you said dilusional. And I’m down to 101 kg 3 down 5 to go

I wish I could have taken 60 days off and walked on to tourneys… not my luck when I competed.

I know club wrestling has much different rules but in the states in college div 1
there are minimum numbers of practices, matches etc that you have to do to certify/qualify.

The Club scene in the states, is similar
if you don’t do team practices or smaller meets you cant compete, more so for tournaments.

And jr level or not, if you are the best in your room, your Matt, or at the tourney , you should conduct yourself that way.

I didn’t just take two months off for the hell of it. At the time I needed to establish myself financially which unfortunately meant not wrestling I resumed training at Christmas but I fealt that I didn’t really belong there because I couldn’t perform at a level the rest of the room could so I trained on my own (cardio weights etc.) but my coach obviously does believe I belong in the room he gave me a second chance and put me in the tournament this weekend ifeel I need to make up for lost time and prove myself to my coach and my team.

I’m not just some lazy snot nosed kid who thinks he is the shit I know my place. But I have been given another chance and I will pounce on it. It gives me drive and reason a new resolve if you will

hey man, good luck. let us know how ya do…

made weight after sitting in the sauna for about 30 minutes then got second in the tourney the next day thanks all for posting

[quote]Omega_12 wrote:
made weight after sitting in the sauna for about 30 minutes then got second in the tourney the next day thanks all for posting[/quote]

Well good job and congrats…I guess it’s good you didn’t listen to me and competed anyway.