Embarrassing Moments In Lifting

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Dumbbell Bench Pressing many years ago with 120’s. Dropped them after the set and one bounced forward and broke the mirror in the commercial gym. [/quote]

When I first got to college, there was a broken mirror in the gym along a long wall of mirrors. It took the gym like two years to free up money in their budget to replace the mirror. Two weeks later, I was doing lying tricep extensions with an EZ bar, and when I set the bar down, it slowly and dramatically rolled towards the brand new mirror, breaking it in the exact same spot. I whistled and casually walked away, and the mirror is still broken.

Fun fact: I worked at the gym, and my boss was so incredibly pissed off that someone broke the mirror that I never told him it was me. That’s courage, brothers.

Damnit, I dont have anything good to add. I’m a complete putz and super injury prone but somehow in the gym I’ve never even had a minor injury.

I also might fart more in the gym than anywhere else. Maybe theres a connection there?

I almost started hyperventilating after a heavy set of leg press. The entire gym was looking at me, and a personal trainer on the other side of the floor shouted to ask if I was alright.

I’ve farted doing leg presses, squats, deadlifts and romanian deadlifts. I’ve also tried doing a squat with one side having an extra 25lb plate on it. Haha, that was awkward.

A bit more recently, I was with my training partner and he wasn’t able to get his head into the workout so I shouted at him, “Come on, Brendan!!” His retort: “Don’t you come on me!” Everyone in our near vicinity, ourselves included, started laughing. Ah good times…

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
FaRTED mid max effort DL[/quote]

I like you more and more all the time.

[quote]Molikeye wrote:
I almost started hyperventilating after a heavy set of leg press. The entire gym was looking at me, and a personal trainer on the other side of the floor shouted to ask if I was alright.

I’ve farted doing leg presses, squats, deadlifts and romanian deadlifts. I’ve also tried doing a squat with one side having an extra 25lb plate on it. Haha, that was awkward.

A bit more recently, I was with my training partner and he wasn’t able to get his head into the workout so I shouted at him, “Come on, Brendan!!” His retort: “Don’t you come on me!” Everyone in our near vicinity, ourselves included, started laughing. Ah good times…[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Man this thread is hilarious, and x1,000,000 on the farting. Not a squat session goes by that I don’t rip a few.

[quote]Dr J wrote:

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

I like you more and more all the time.[/quote]

Well that is just the sweetest darn thing…

I bent a bar.

Not embarrassing but I was lifting in this little piece of shit gym and there was a line to use the bars. I was done doing my set of rows with 405 and got so pumped about the PR that I just dropped the bar into the bench I was taking the bar from. It bended just like a paper clip into a boomerang shape.

I felt a bit embarrassed because all those fucking people were waiting to use that bar and I ruined it for everyone

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
I bent a bar.

Not embarrassing but I was lifting in this little piece of shit gym and there was a line to use the bars. I was done doing my set of rows with 405 and got so pumped about the PR that I just dropped the bar into the bench I was taking the bar from. It bended just like a paper clip into a boomerang shape.

I felt a bit embarrassed because all those fucking people were waiting to use that bar and I ruined it for everyone
[/quote]
tattoo this on your Godzil- I mean back

Dropped a hex type dumbell on my head (controlled decent but still mostly dropped it on my head) doing 1 arm snatches one time. Distracted during workout. Blood is annoying to clean up/ deal with.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Three years ago I didn’t sit the bar all the way on the hooks and when I pulled the bar down to set up again the whole thing came down. It was at home and I was alone but I bent the pin and it’s still tough to move it.

I happened to be taping for depth and form and got the whole stupidity on video.

This isn’t training but was a big fail at World’s last year: deadlift fail - YouTube

I have tons of them… In my avatar I’m competing at Provincial’s and on my second squat, my hips shifted forward and I went down on my face and the bar hit the floor behind me. Happily, I got my best total ever at that meet.

Most of my embarrassing moments are in front of everyone, on a platform.[/quote]

Kinda off-topic, but is the guy in your avatar picture to YOUR left catching the bar named Steve? If so I go to the same gym as him and he’s given me some tips on getting into powerlifting, nice guy.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Three years ago I didn’t sit the bar all the way on the hooks and when I pulled the bar down to set up again the whole thing came down. It was at home and I was alone but I bent the pin and it’s still tough to move it.

I happened to be taping for depth and form and got the whole stupidity on video.

This isn’t training but was a big fail at World’s last year: deadlift fail - YouTube

I have tons of them… In my avatar I’m competing at Provincial’s and on my second squat, my hips shifted forward and I went down on my face and the bar hit the floor behind me. Happily, I got my best total ever at that meet.

Most of my embarrassing moments are in front of everyone, on a platform.[/quote]

Kinda off-topic, but is the guy in your avatar picture to YOUR left catching the bar named Steve? If so I go to the same gym as him and he’s given me some tips on getting into powerlifting, nice guy.[/quote]

If you’re out of London, you’re likely right. He’s spotted me more than once at meets.

was doing some touch and go deadlift with some old straps…the straps teared off and i was send flying backwards…never used strps since then

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

I’ve farted many times during lifts, particularly squats. One time I felt a little poop coming out during deadlifts. I decided to call it a day.

The worst was probably my most recent press PR. The weight stalled about halfway up, so I used a little bit of leg drive trying to finish the rep. I came up on my toes, and I lost my balance as I rocked back on my feet. Ended up falling backwards and the bar dropped on to the safety bars I had set up. The worst part was that there was a bar sitting on the floor behind me on the platform that is connected to the rack, and I landed right on it, hitting it with my middle back.

I came back and got the lift on my second try.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

I’m embarassed if I don’t fart on DL’s. I like to give the air system in my gym a workout too.

In squats, that “push of air” helps me get “out of the hole”–sorry I had a poor upbringing.

Wow I never realized that farting was part of the powerlifting religion. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone fart at the gym before. :frowning:

Another check on the CON list of my gym!!!

Finished a set of incline chest with 20kg dumbbells. Forgot there was 18’s beside the bench for my drop sets and managed to catch my middle finger between two weights when setting them down. Subsequent stream of obscenities brought the gym bunny from behind the desk into the weights room where she caught me running about flapping my hand like a girl. X-Ray showed that I’d split the bone down the middle at the tip of my finger, hurt like a mofo.

Also nearly nocked myself out couple of weeks ago getting pumped for a max effort bench. Forgot where the bar was and slammed my head straight into it, my mates spotting pissed themselves laughing!

This is around the first time I started to lift in weight training back in High School. We were testing 1RM on the bench, and I literally had 3 people spotting me + the entire class surrounding the bench because we were all getting the same test done. I don’t even remember the weight but I bet it wasn’t anymore than like 155lbs. Well I got the bar off the pins, then gravity took over the rest. The bar fell and hit me RIGHT on my chin, I look up and low and behold, the fucking spotters were looking away somewhere else. Luckily it was a couple of centimeters higher or I would of knocked out my whole bottom row of teeth. I walked away with a nice black and blue on my chin, pissed that no one was paying attention! Still it was funny though even to me.

[quote]jldume wrote:
This is around the first time I started to lift in weight training back in High School. We were testing 1RM on the bench, and I literally had 3 people spotting me + the entire class surrounding the bench because we were all getting the same test done. I don’t even remember the weight but I bet it wasn’t anymore than like 155lbs. Well I got the bar off the pins, then gravity took over the rest. The bar fell and hit me RIGHT on my chin, I look up and low and behold, the fucking spotters were looking away somewhere else. Luckily it was a couple of centimeters higher or I would of knocked out my whole bottom row of teeth. I walked away with a nice black and blue on my chin, pissed that no one was paying attention! Still it was funny though even to me.[/quote]
LOL

was too lazy to unload the cambered bar to put it up on the pins… So I power cleaned it up and the bar smacked my teeth leaving my gums gushing blood all night. That night me and my current lady had our second date… Nothing like a bloody kiss to test her reaction.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
I got trapped under a floor press for a while…uhg. I rolled the bar down and got it squshing my leg for a while. Eventually I was able to wiggle myself outta there.
[/quote]

To add a tip for this, try putting an aerobic stepper thing on either side of the rack, under the plates. If you fail you can just drop it over your face with a couple inches to spare.