Emasculating Commercials

[quote]Skrom wrote:
Um…Jet Li is an actor. He was trained primarily in Wushu if I remember correctly. Wushu has a lot more in common with dancing than fighting.

Regarding “the bigger they are, the harder they fall”, three words: Short Man Syndrome. I just got back from sparring someone 20 pounds heavier and 5 inches taller, and even with a significant experience advantage it’s still difficult as hell. You try that shit and tell me that being big doesn’t make a huge difference.[/quote]

Good post. I personally haven’t seen two people with that much of a size difference where both were even minimally trained that size was not a huge advantage. I think it only works if the assumption is that all big guys can’t fight or don’t know how. I’m not sure who started that dumbass stereotype. I grew up in a relatively rough neighborhood. Most guys started lifting so they could defend themselves better, especially since most couldn’t afford some expensive martial arts class way across town. I have seen guys with no formal skills who would be near impossible to get down regardless of how skilled their opponent is. There is a lot to be said for pure rage, strength and leverage.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
The phrase “the bigger they are the harder they fall” was created for a reason.[/quote]

I believe the entire saying is “The bigger they are, the harder they fall, but they don’t fall as often.”

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Lately, I just wait for shit I like to come out on DVD…like CSI (I swear I have every episode ever released), Lost or Smallville. [/quote]

I’d almost swear you’ve been skulking around my living room…

Skrom wrote:
Um…Jet Li is an actor. He was trained primarily in Wushu if I remember correctly. Wushu has a lot more in common with dancing than fighting.

Regarding “the bigger they are, the harder they fall”, three words: Short Man Syndrome. I just got back from sparring someone 20 pounds heavier and 5 inches taller, and even with a significant experience advantage it’s still difficult as hell. You try that shit and tell me that being big doesn’t make a huge difference.

Good post. I personally haven’t seen two people with that much of a size difference where both were even minimally trained that size was not a huge advantage. I think it only works if the assumption is that all big guys can’t fight or don’t know how. I’m not sure who started that dumbass stereotype. I grew up in a relatively rough neighborhood. Most guys started lifting so they could defend themselves better, especially since most couldn’t afford some expensive martial arts class way across town. I have seen guys with no formal skills who would be near impossible to get down regardless of how skilled their opponent is. There is a lot to be said for pure rage, strength and leverage.[/quote]

Good post. I would add intelligence to that list. Or rather maybe the presence of mind to control and channel the rage to a tactical advantage depending on the dynamic flow of the exchange. Lots of words there, but basically using your head and outthinking the other guy.

Sorry its Monday.

[quote]Skrom wrote:

Regarding “the bigger they are, the harder they fall”, three words: Short Man Syndrome. I just got back from sparring someone 20 pounds heavier and 5 inches taller, and even with a significant experience advantage it’s still difficult as hell. You try that shit and tell me that being big doesn’t make a huge difference.[/quote]

2 good points.

Jet Li is more of a dancer. Most moves he uses are so silly. They need to hook him to wires so he doesn’t fall down. To pretend he can fight like that is stupid.

Big guys are tough. After 18 years of rugby I can say it is usually more painful and physically taxing to tackle a big guy than it is to tackle a small guy. And big guys usually hit harder than the small guys too even though there are some hard hitting small guys, they still don’t compare to the hard hitting big guys.

[quote]Billmelater138 wrote:
bigflamer wrote:
Tommy Gavin from rescue me. That’s how a man should operate.

agreed. actually, pretty much the whole male cast of that show, besides proby.[/quote]

So when is the new season starting anyway!?!?!?!

I have seen guys with no formal skills who would be near impossible to get down regardless of how skilled their opponent is. There is a lot to be said for pure rage, strength and leverage.[/quote]

Hulk smash puny man!

Hey hey…as a sort of related peeve with commercials (and a subtler for of emmasculation), commercials that have the kids running the lives of the parents…There’s a billboard ad up here in Ottawa that features two screaming kids in the backseat of a car with the caption “www.nearestrestauranttheywant.com” over it(or something like that). The message seems to be give your kid what they want the louder they scream, as opposed to “www.pulloveranddisciplinethekids.com”. Direct male emmasculation, no, but it does play in to the powerless/clueless parent figure model.

Oh, and if you want a show with tiny feminine men, check out ABC Family’s “Beautiful People”…sheesh, it makes the OC look like the UFC…

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Skrom wrote:

Regarding “the bigger they are, the harder they fall”, three words: Short Man Syndrome. I just got back from sparring someone 20 pounds heavier and 5 inches taller, and even with a significant experience advantage it’s still difficult as hell. You try that shit and tell me that being big doesn’t make a huge difference.

Good post. I personally haven’t seen two people with that much of a size difference where both were even minimally trained that size was not a huge advantage. I think it only works if the assumption is that all big guys can’t fight or don’t know how. I’m not sure who started that dumbass stereotype. I grew up in a relatively rough neighborhood. Most guys started lifting so they could defend themselves better, especially since most couldn’t afford some expensive martial arts class way across town. I have seen guys with no formal skills who would be near impossible to get down regardless of how skilled their opponent is. There is a lot to be said for pure rage, strength and leverage.

Good post. I would add intelligence to that list. Or rather maybe the presence of mind to control and channel the rage to a tactical advantage depending on the dynamic flow of the exchange. Lots of words there, but basically using your head and outthinking the other guy.

Sorry its Monday. [/quote]

And I would think that in a self-defence situation, the smaller but more skilful guy would, by using the deadlier techniques not allowed in a sparring situation, be able to even out the size disadvantage against a bigger but less skilled guy.

Funny I should read this thread today for the first time after being sent a review of Harvey Mansfield’s new book “Manliness”.

Has anyone picked this up yet? I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts on it. Actually, I am curious if anyone has read any of the books by the person doing a review in the Weekly Standard, Christina Hoff Summers. She wrote a book called “The War Against Boys” which also looks pretty interesting. A quote from that book:

“This book tells the story of how it has become fashionable to attribute pathology to millions of healthy male children. It is a story of how we are turning against boys and forgetting a simple truth: that the energy, competitiveness, and corporal daring of normal, decent males is responsible for much of what is right in the world. No one denies that boys’ aggressive tendencies must be checked and channeled in constructive ways. Boys need discipline, respect, and moral guidance. Boys need love and tolerant understanding. They do not need to be pathologized.”

I’m thinking of picking them both up, reading them and posting some reviews and such.

Kuz

[quote]Winger11 wrote:
Hey hey…as a sort of related peeve with commercials (and a subtler for of emmasculation), commercials that have the kids running the lives of the parents…There’s a billboard ad up here in Ottawa that features two screaming kids in the backseat of a car with the caption “www.nearestrestauranttheywant.com” over it(or something like that). The message seems to be give your kid what they want the louder they scream, as opposed to “www.pulloveranddisciplinethekids.com”. Direct male emmasculation, no, but it does play in to the powerless/clueless parent figure model.

Oh, and if you want a show with tiny feminine men, check out ABC Family’s “Beautiful People”…sheesh, it makes the OC look like the UFC…[/quote]

That is a good point right there. My parents have been coaches at all levels from elementary school to high school, so they’ve dealt with tons of kids over the past 15 years or so. One thing they (and I) have always been amazed with is how a lot of the kids (especially more recently) practically run the family; order the parents around; etc. It’s amazing how many parents will get into stupid little bickering arguments with their kids.

As a kid, I don’t think I ever straight up told my parents “NO” to their face. Sure I covered things up and lied sometimes (all kids do), but I couldn’t imagine just openly defying my parents like you see so many kids doing. While I’m DEFINITLY not advocating child abuse (of any kind), I think part of the reason you see kids acting like fucking psychos nowadays is because parents can’t punish their kids physically any more.

I probably only got smacked three or four times in my life, but that was enough to keep me in line. I think it was more that I knew my dad didn’t mess around- not like so many parents nowadays who cater to their kids so much. I’m only 18, so this isn’t some old-timer speaking. Maybe I just feel this way because my dad was definitly a fucking T-man all the way. He dropped out of high school (bad decision), but since then he’s busted his ass every day doing flat roofs in the inner city, carrying 100lb rolls of roofing tar up ladders in 90 degree temperatures so I can go to one of the best schools in the country.

[/end rant]

[quote]Y2Ray wrote:
And I would think that in a self-defence situation, the smaller but more skilful guy would, by using the deadlier techniques not allowed in a sparring situation, be able to even out the size disadvantage against a bigger but less skilled guy.
[/quote]

Oh god, can we PLEASE not drag Bruce Lee’s eye gouges and groin kicks out again!

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Y2Ray wrote:

Oh god, can we PLEASE not drag Bruce Lee’s eye gouges and groin kicks out again![/quote]

LOL @ “deadly techniques”. Like the 300lbs tank fighting the shrimp simply wants to shake hands and not kill his ass with his own “deadly techniques”.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Y2Ray wrote:

Oh god, can we PLEASE not drag Bruce Lee’s eye gouges and groin kicks out again![/quote]

No shit. Some of these guys don’t understand big guys are fully capable of this stuff too.

Back when I was a kid it was called fighting dirty. Now it is deadlier techniques only available to highly skilled guys.

My four year old hit me in the balls and poked me in the eyes when we were rough-housing this weekend. It does not take all that much skill.

I agree men take a lot of shit on TV now days. I think it translates to real life too. I’m not a small guy and I rarely if ever have a guy with any common-sense mouth off to me in person, but I have had women get stupid to my face before. I had a woman actually take a swing at me!

My wife and I were out one evening in a crowded club. We had 2 chairs at the bar. We got up to dance and we had left our jackets, and belongings to indicate that the seats were occupied. When we returned we found a couple had moved our stuff and taken our seats. I told them we had been sitting there and we’d like our seats back.

The male half of the couple promptly got up and started to leave but the woman got mouthy and told us if we got up we abandoned all rights to the chairs. Words were exchanged and I made a comment about her kissing her mother with that dirty mouth, when she took a swing at me. I grabbed her arm to block the punch and then she tried to put a knee in my groin.

At this point I got pissed and I spun her around, locked her arm behind her back and told her if she ever did that again that I’d forget she was a woman and hit her back. I then handed her off to the guy she was with. He looked at me as if to say, “Please don’t kill me, because she’s stupid”. Security stepped in and we were all asked to leave. As I walked away she was yelling at him to kick my ass. He quite sensibly told her to shut the fuck up and leave.

A.B.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
Y2Ray wrote:

Oh god, can we PLEASE not drag Bruce Lee’s eye gouges and groin kicks out again!

No shit. Some of these guys don’t understand big guys are fully capable of this stuff too.

Back when I was a kid it was called fighting dirty. Now it is deadlier techniques only available to highly skilled guys.

My four year old hit me in the balls and poked me in the eyes when we were rough-housing this weekend. It does not take all that much skill.[/quote]

I agree it’s fighting dirty, my 27 pound 2 year old can drop me with an exciting flail of his little limbs by acciedent. But on the other hand if I’m fixing to get my ass kicked you can bet your ass if I have the oppurtunity to nut cop you or give you a frontal labotomy with my finger I’m going to do it.

Bullpup

jtrinsey wrote:
Y2Ray wrote:

LOL @ “deadly techniques”. Like the 300lbs tank fighting the shrimp simply wants to shake hands and not kill his ass with his own “deadly techniques”.[/quote]

I think some of the smaller and “deadlier” guys seem to forget the rather simple technique any big guy can use… like grabbing him and squeezing the ever-living crap out of him until his eyes pop outta his head.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
Y2Ray wrote:

LOL @ “deadly techniques”. Like the 300lbs tank fighting the shrimp simply wants to shake hands and not kill his ass with his own “deadly techniques”.

I think some of the smaller and “deadlier” guys seem to forget the rather simple technique any big guy can use… like grabbing him and squeezing the ever-living crap out of him until his eyes pop outta his head.[/quote]

Yeah, my cousin is 6’5" 370# ex semi-pro football player who works at a reform school in Philly. Interestingly enough, he’s one of the only teachers that hasn’t been assualted yet. Maybe it’s because his students know that he knows the deadly technique of “throwing a motherfucker across a room.”

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

My four year old hit me in the balls and poked me in the eyes when we were rough-housing this weekend. It does not take all that much skill.[/quote]

LOL!

My son was a few months old and I went to kiss him on his forehead when he was lying on the ground. He shoved that finger so fast up my nose and pulled it out without any blood on it.

I was bleeding and he was just happy! You’re right! doesn’t take much!

Obviously you’ve never seen Rambo 3. Some big Russian guy tried that on Rambo and he got himself fucking exploded.

[quote]Kuz wrote:

I think some of the smaller and “deadlier” guys seem to forget the rather simple technique any big guy can use… like grabbing him and squeezing the ever-living crap out of him until his eyes pop outta his head.[/quote]