T Nation

Emasculating Commercials

[quote]Northcott wrote:
No wonder why shows like CSI draw in more men – the men on the show are actual characters, not idiotic stereotypes.[/quote]

I miss NYPD Blue and Sipowitz… While not the best physical specimen as far as shape went, that character had balls and integrity.

I watched Terry Tate: Office Lineback clips over and over last night. Forgot how amazing they really were.

and i quote:

“you know you can’t bring that weakass stuff up in this humpy bumpy! you killed the joe, you make some mo!!!”
- “Terrible” Terry Tate, after he just ransacked an accountant for not making more coffee.

to view said amazing clips, I should provide a link, so here is:

http://www.milkandcookies.com/keywords/terrytate/

[quote]ATOMemphis wrote:
to view said amazing clips, I should provide a link, so here is:

http://www.milkandcookies.com/keywords/terrytate/ [/quote]

Holy shit! I just watched the first one “Sensitivity Training”, that was great!

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

[quote]Northcott wrote:
slimjim wrote:
I can’t stand “something about Raymod” for exactly this reason. My ex-girlfriend used to watch that show and it would send me into fits of rage when he would have to apologize for something that was clearly her fault…as soon as I broke up with her[the ex] that show was out of my life for good.

Sweet Kung-Fu Jesus but that show sends me into paroxysms of rage! Bad enough that he’s such a miserable, whining, incompetent loser, but on top of having him apologize for things that are her freakin’ fault, they then compound it by having him be such an overblown failure (how does someone that spineless manage to write an opinion column?!?) that she can’t help but look good in comparison.

They wonder why women of that age range are the chief viewers of these shows? Because the male figures on these shows are goddamned worthless! Miserable, craven, whining, whipping boys. The closest thing to a “man” on a sitcom was Joey… and he had the IQ of wood shavings.

No wonder why shows like CSI draw in more men – the men on the show are actual characters, not idiotic stereotypes.

Our culture has somehow managed to go from one idiotic, self-defeating, blindly sexist paradigm to another. This, ladies and gentlemen, is just one more reason why we shouldn’t give a damn when we’re told that our lifestyle choice doesn’t fit the ideal of the “average” person. [/quote]

[quote]vroom wrote:
Okay, it’s almost to the point that we’ve had enough commercials that set men up to be silly and stupid wimps.

The one that is pushing me over the edge has this guy screaming like a girl, and the staff all come running. A lady is asked if she is okay, but the guy says it was him, as he’d been looking all over town for the movie he just found…

FUCK OFF.

I want to see some commercials where a manly guy stomps the hell out of something and proceeds to tell everyone else to shut up and fuck off while he has a steak and a beer before he wipes the blood off his fists so he doesn’t ruin the textbook he’s perusing on quantum physics.

Any advertising executives out there listening can suck my balls. I’m boycotting your pussified products and stores![/quote]

I saw one last night with a pinball bouncing around the inside of Kotex.

Here is Axe showing guys that could get beat up by 10 year old girls. I suppose that is their target audience. Plus, they show women weight lifters/body builders as freaks.

http://orderoftheserpentine.com/

Check the videos.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Okay, it’s almost to the point that we’ve had enough commercials that set men up to be silly and stupid wimps.

The one that is pushing me over the edge has this guy screaming like a girl, and the staff all come running. A lady is asked if she is okay, but the guy says it was him, as he’d been looking all over town for the movie he just found…

FUCK OFF.

I want to see some commercials where a manly guy stomps the hell out of something and proceeds to tell everyone else to shut up and fuck off while he has a steak and a beer before he wipes the blood off his fists so he doesn’t ruin the textbook he’s perusing on quantum physics.

Any advertising executives out there listening can suck my balls. I’m boycotting your pussified products and stores![/quote]

You’re not a fan of comedy? It’s funny because it’s so ridiculous.

[quote]ATOMemphis wrote:
I watched Terry Tate: Office Lineback clips over and over last night. Forgot how amazing they really were.

and i quote:

“you know you can’t bring that weakass stuff up in this humpy bumpy! you killed the joe, you make some mo!!!”
- “Terrible” Terry Tate, after he just ransacked an accountant for not making more coffee.[/quote]

They need more! THOSE were some of the funniest commericals around!

[quote]vroom wrote:
Okay, it’s almost to the point that we’ve had enough commercials that set men up to be silly and stupid wimps.

The one that is pushing me over the edge has this guy screaming like a girl, and the staff all come running. A lady is asked if she is okay, but the guy says it was him, as he’d been looking all over town for the movie he just found…

FUCK OFF.

I want to see some commercials where a manly guy stomps the hell out of something and proceeds to tell everyone else to shut up and fuck off while he has a steak and a beer before he wipes the blood off his fists so he doesn’t ruin the textbook he’s perusing on quantum physics.

Any advertising executives out there listening can suck my balls. I’m boycotting your pussified products and stores![/quote]

great post man, good were the times when men were men and women accepted it.

Off topic(kind of):

Iron John,

who is that in your avatar? If that is a legit bottoms-up press, that is insane. Looks like a 200 pound kettlebell.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
great post man, good were the times when men were men and women accepted it.[/quote]

When was that? :slight_smile: Women have -always- tried to change men.

I agree that the TTT (Terrible Terry Tate) commercials were awesome - I wish they still made them. But I don’t see why you guys get all worked up over male actors/characters that don’t fit the T-Man, tough guy persona. The fact is, most men don’t. It doesn’t make the characters any less enjoyable in my opinion. Most sitcom characters are parodies anyway. That’s the whole point.

Do you despise men in real life who aren’t like this? If so, you are doing yourselves a disservice. There are a lot of decent people on this earth who don’t fit this mold (most clergy come to mind).

If you want tough guys, you have to watch cop dramas,documentaries or sports (of course). Oh, let’s not forget porno:)

I like “Raymond” and “Seinfeld” and a few other shows that have the kinds of male characters you guys are ripping on. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I caution all of you for being so judgmental when you get up in arms over the way people judge you for having muscular physiques.

DB

Despite being surrounded by a show lightyears beyond the realm of feasibility, Jack Bauer from “24” is a good example of a non-pussified tv guy.

DB,

Some good points.

Personally, I have nothing against normal people, but there is a lot of media “punishment” taking place these days.

Where is the happy medium?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Where is the happy medium?[/quote]

It’s on HBO. Any network that could simultaneously bring you The Soprano’s and Sex and the City has the entire spectrum figured out. Even if those shows are ended or ending.

Network TV is for metrosexuals.

I agree completely. Another example…minivan commercial where the guy can’t figure out how to fold up the baby stroller.

In my book, the TV ads with the wimpiest males that make we feel like hurling my last meal, every time I see one, are the eHarmony.com ads.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
I agree completely. Another example…minivan commercial where the guy can’t figure out how to fold up the baby stroller. [/quote]

Yeah. I remember saying, “wtf” to my wife the first time I saw that. Clearly, that ad was meant for women.

When married men get together, we discuss having sex with women. When married women get together, they bash their men. What’s up with that?

DB

[quote]kubikiri wrote:
Despite being surrounded by a show lightyears beyond the realm of feasibility, Jack Bauer from “24” is a good example of a non-pussified tv guy.[/quote]

Jack Bauer’s character is probably the best one on TV if you ask me. Mackie’s is definitely masculine, but he’s got some nasty qualities (cheating on wife repeatedly, killing cops, etc.) that don’t fit an ideal male role. Plus, he’s never killed any Serbian terrorists by punching them in the heart.