Elliot Hulse's Lean Hybrid Muscle Training

I don’t know how many of you watch elliot on youtube. He is very resourceful and has an interesting concept. Where you focus on strength AND hypertrophy in you work outs. Now i know you not all may agree with this, however this sounds like it could be very beneficial for athletes. check out this video…

What are your thoughts on the whole " starting a lift with 3x3 ( or something of that nature) then proceeding with 3x12+ ?

My thoughts are that this is what many strength athletes do. It works really well.

[quote]CrushKillDestroy wrote:
My thoughts are that this is what many strength athletes do. It works really well. [/quote]

do you agree on the building of strength and hypertrophy?

ie…
B) Back squat 3-3-3-10-12-12
A) Deadlifts 3-3-3-8-10-12

i may incorporate this scheme in the future

[quote]jake_richardson wrote:
[/quote]

I know of no people that advocate against this. In general, to get bigger and stronger, you have to ensure you spend time training getting bigger and getting stronger.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[/quote]

I know of no people that advocate against this. In general, to get bigger and stronger, you have to ensure you spend time training getting bigger and getting stronger.[/quote]

Whaaaat?!

And here was me thinking that I was being revolutionary by doing 531 sets for strength and hypertrophy work after in the same workout :(.

This is exactly the approach that I have settled into after a year and a half of lifting. I am making more progress than ever with this.

For me it just makes sense to first go heavy and activate the nervous system and as many muscle fibers as possible. After you do your 3 sets of 3, drop weight significantly and go for some pump sets, maybe 2 sets of 8 or 10.

And EAT.

Maybe it is working because I’m a noob and for advanced lifters this will not work as well.

After you look at enough programs you start to notice they’re all basically the same thing. Especially the ones that are actually proven to work for your average natty, raw lifter. Work up to some intensity on the main lift and do backdown volume and do bodybuilding accessory stuff.

1 Like

[quote]csulli wrote:
After you look at enough programs you start to notice they’re all basically the same thing. Especially the ones that are actually proven to work for your average natty, raw lifter. Work up to some intensity on the main lift and do backdown volume and do bodybuilding accessory stuff.[/quote]

I agree, do you think this rep and set scheme is a good or bad idea?

Man, Hulse’s voice and mannerisms are really effeminate. Nothing wrong with that, but he specifically annoys the shit outta me. Like a strength training biracial Richard Simmons.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Man, Hulse’s voice and mannerisms are really effeminate. Nothing wrong with that, but he specifically annoys the shit outta me. Like a strength training biracial Richard Simmons. [/quote]

Your just mad cause he stronger then you;)

My thoughts are that this is what many strength athletes do. It works really well. [/quote]

ie…

i may incorporate this scheme in the future [/quote]

Yes, as has been agreed with by everyone else I advocate this.

The specific set and rep structures will differ, for example I personally don’t like deadlifts for sets of more than 5.

But yes, lift heavy then lift lots.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Man, Hulse’s voice and mannerisms are really effeminate. Nothing wrong with that, but he specifically annoys the shit outta me. Like a strength training biracial Richard Simmons. [/quote]

His lack of intelligence and knowledge is much worse.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

His lack of intelligence and knowledge is much worse. [/quote]
I dunno dude he doesn’t strike me as a dumb guy (or effeminate). Also he got pretty fucking strong. He’s weird sure, but I don’t see a reason to hate on him.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

I dunno dude he doesn’t strike me as a dumb guy (or effeminate). Also he got pretty fucking strong. He’s weird sure, but I don’t see a reason to hate on him.[/quote]

He has far more experience then most people. Plus he’s done it all, from strong man to olympic lifting…

I just started lean hybrid this past week and like it so far. The only draw back for me is Wednesdays meal, there is no meal. I have a hard time fasting for 6 hours let alone 24. And I don’t think it would be very beneficial to starve yourself if muscle gain is your goal. Right now I’m tinkering around with the diet and using John Meadows principles along with Plazma!

[quote]overdrive570 wrote:
I just started lean hybrid this past week and like it so far. The only draw back for me is Wednesdays meal, there is no meal. I have a hard time fasting for 6 hours let alone 24. And I don’t think it would be very beneficial to starve yourself if muscle gain is your goal. Right now I’m tinkering around with the diet and using John Meadows principles along with Plazma![/quote]

how do you like Plazma

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Why do you accuse him a lack of intelligence and knowledge?

ie…

First I want to write I completely agree with csulli’s post. You’ll see the same elements in programs because they work. But just to clear things up, Hulse was talking about lifting for strength and hypertrophy within the same workout, not for a single exercise.

I got to review Lean Hybrid Muscle Reloaded a while ago, and I can say you won’t see a 3-3-3-10-12-12 anywhere. In his LHM program, you’ll see 3x3 for a power or Olympic movement at the beginning of the session, and then 3x8-12 for a different exercise. For example, you’d start with a BB Clean and Press for 3x3, and then later on you’d perform a rows for 3x8-12.

There’s a lot of single-goal programs that use the same loading intensity for all movements, but plenty of fitness professionals mix them within phases of a longer program, in weeks, or in sessions like LHM. If you look at Christian Thibaudeau’s “6 Weeks to Superhero” he identifies the purpose of each set/rep parameter. The load types will give you an idea of what’s going on with LHM if you have it.

[quote]fncj wrote:

ie…

First I want to write I completely agree with csulli’s post. You’ll see the same elements in programs because they work. But just to clear things up, Hulse was talking about lifting for strength and hypertrophy within the same workout, not for a single exercise.

I got to review Lean Hybrid Muscle Reloaded a while ago, and I can say you won’t see a 3-3-3-10-12-12 anywhere. In his LHM program, you’ll see 3x3 for a power or Olympic movement at the beginning of the session, and then 3x8-12 for a different exercise. For example, you’d start with a BB Clean and Press for 3x3, and then later on you’d perform a rows for 3x8-12.

There’s a lot of single-goal programs that use the same loading intensity for all movements, but plenty of fitness professionals mix them within phases of a longer program, in weeks, or in sessions like LHM. If you look at Christian Thibaudeau’s “6 Weeks to Superhero” he identifies the purpose of each set/rep parameter. The load types will give you an idea of what’s going on with LHM if you have it.[/quote]

I completely agree with you, and csulli, heres my take on the LHM (Not the one from the program but how i would do it)
Day 1
A) Power Clean and Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5 (one clean and then 5 squats per set)
C1) Stiff Leg dead lifts 10-10-10
C2) Leg extensions 10-10-10
D) Ab circut

Day 2
A) Power Clean and Press 5-5-5-5-5 (each rep is 1 clean and 1 press)
B) Bench Press 5-5-5-10-10-12
C) Dumbbell incline Press 10-8-8-6
D) Dips 10-10-10-10
E) Pushdowns 12-12-10-8
F) Lateral Raises 10-10-10

Day 3
B) High Pull 10-8-6-4
C) Row Variation 10-10-8-8
D) Lat Pulldowns 10-10-8-8
E)Face Pull 10-10-10
F) Curl 12-10-10-8

I completely agree with you, and csulli, heres my take on the LHM (Not the one from the program but how i would do it)
Day 1
A) Power Clean and Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5 (one clean and then 5 squats per set)
C1) Stiff Leg dead lifts 10-10-10
C2) Leg extensions 10-10-10
D) Ab circut

Day 2
A) Power Clean and Press 5-5-5-5-5 (each rep is 1 clean and 1 press)
B) Bench Press 5-5-5-10-10-12
C) Dumbbell incline Press 10-8-8-6
D) Dips 10-10-10-10
E) Pushdowns 12-12-10-8
F) Lateral Raises 10-10-10

Day 3
B) High Pull 10-8-6-4
C) Row Variation 10-10-8-8
D) Lat Pulldowns 10-10-8-8
E)Face Pull 10-10-10
F) Curl 12-10-10-8 [/quote]

Okay. I’ve gotten out of the habit of critiquing other people’s self-written programs. Someone else may offer their advice and fix any problems they see.

The one tip I will give is to split the movements with major changes in loading intensity.

Instead of:

Use:
B) Back Squat (Maximal Strength) - 3-3-3
C) Back Squat (Hypertrophy) - 10-12-12

The reason is, though they’re the same exercise, they have very different loading parameters and probably progression schemes. This will also let you know which strength quality is progressing or stalling later on.