T Nation

EliteFTS Rack Shipping

I just ordered a rack from EliteFTS and have a question for anyone who has done the same.

I (now) understand it will be coming via semi-truck, was this completely inconvenient? Will I have to take off work to wait for the driver? Did the driver help unload the rack? If not, any idea how much a standard rack weighs?

Thanks!

I have an EliteFTS rack. The trucking company should call you to set up a delivery time, so you may or may not have to take off work.

It comes on a palate, and the driver and I had no problem unloading it.

Congrats on the rack!

Thanks SBT!

So I suppose it’s not going to be in a box or something, just all the parts there on a palate (or preconstructed?). The email from EliteFTS says that the driver doesn’t have to help remove it from the truck, and although I doubt this will happen, if the driver was a feeble old man in your case do you think you could have managed to get it out of the semi on your own?

[quote]jpuck wrote:
Thanks SBT!

So I suppose it’s not going to be in a box or something, just all the parts there on a palate (or preconstructed?). The email from EliteFTS says that the driver doesn’t have to help remove it from the truck, and although I doubt this will happen, if the driver was a feeble old man in your case do you think you could have managed to get it out of the semi on your own?[/quote]

It is usually the policy of trucking companies that the driver is responsible for getting it to the back of the truck, and from that point it is up to you. You should probably get a hold of the company to find out what time it will be delivered, and I’d have a friend there to help if I were you.

[quote]jpuck wrote:
Thanks SBT!

So I suppose it’s not going to be in a box or something, just all the parts there on a palate (or preconstructed?). The email from EliteFTS says that the driver doesn’t have to help remove it from the truck, and although I doubt this will happen, if the driver was a feeble old man in your case do you think you could have managed to get it out of the semi on your own?[/quote]

I think the driver helped me get mine off the truck. It is no big deal though. You will be surprised at how light the rack actually is… Plus it is in pieces so if the guy on the truck is not willing to help you can make him sit there while you take it down piece by piece. The biggest hassle for me was getting rid of the giant wood pallet when the job was done. That thing sat in my garage for a good year or so.

Tedro> Thanks for the advice and insight, I’ll have to make a friend though! I’m new to NC and just bought a house. I look forward to posting some videos of my squat/dl and having you perhaps chime in on my form – I recognize your handle as pretty much the best form advice I’ve seen on the forum.

bad_mo_fo> Yeah I was thinking it shouldn’t be THAT heavy. Good to hear it comes in parts, that can be my backup plan. I’ll take the palate to the local dump, the people I bought the house from left a garage full of shit that I’ve had to haul off – still trying to get rid of the mice infestation in there they left though. How hard was it to put together?

It was real easy to put together. I brought all the parts down to my basement and had it together in probably a little over an hour. And that was with no help and I suck at putting stuff like that together.

[quote]jpuck wrote:
Tedro> Thanks for the advice and insight, I’ll have to make a friend though! I’m new to NC and just bought a house. [/quote]

Shoot me an PM and I can give you a hand with the unloading and setting up if you like. When are you expecting it. Is it coming from SC?

I’ve had a half dozen deliveries of heavy gym equipment in the past year or so (including 2 shipments from elite) and never had a problem getting the driver to help me carry the stuff inside. The policy as it’s been told to me is generally they get the shipment off the truck and on the ground. From that point on it’s technically up to you, which means of course you have to be there for the delivery. but being nice to the driver and offering 20 bucks or so if he’s hesitant to help has always worked for me.

also make sure you have some wrenches handy when they show up as it usually a lot easier to unbolt the equipment from the palate and then carry it inside. Plus the palates usually won’t fit through a standard doorway anyway.

Sorry to HiJack but jpuck/SBT, what type of rack did you get? are you happy with it?

I’m thinking of getting a rack and just want to know your thoughts on them…

Thanks

tcsimon> Thanks for the offer! I might just have to take you up on that. I just ordered the rack a couple days ago and don’t expect it until July. If I think I’ll need a hand I’ll send a message your way. Maybe I could pick your brain that day on makeshift platform and box too…

MidDistanceMac> I’ve been contemplating buying a rack since February. I bought a house in May so I had a long time to research it all. I went with an EliteFTS rack mainly because I’ll be lifting alone most of the time. I want something that I can miss heavy squats and bench presses in. So, I wanted it to be able to handle dropping a weight up to a foot onto the pins AND I want something with 1" spacing for bench press. I don’t want to be at the mercy of the hole spacing for bench press safety, I want to be able to miss with a ME weight and bring it toward my neck from a couple inches with no fear of decapitation.

Plus, I’m in this for the long haul. I’ve been working out bodybuilder style in gyms for over 10 years (with so-so results) and have learned it’s all about compound lifts. I’ll never go back to a gym if I have a rack and this one will last me forever.

If you want something a lot cheaper and are working out with a good spotter try NYBarbell. They use TDS racks which I think are the same thing from Dick’s sporting goods and they’re available on ebay all the time for pretty cheap too.

robo1> Thanks, sounds like I was worrying for nothin. I think I’m just trying to find a reason for buyer’s remorse, $865 is almost all of my tax rebate check.

Where in NC are you? I’m in charlotte and would happily help some one if that means i get to see a EliteFTS rack in person. Shoot me a PM.