T Nation

Elitefts Lose Out

To shed light on the plight of UK fitness heads- I started a proposed order of Starting Strength from elitefts, at a cost of $24.95. The shipping? $84

We don’t have it easy for sure. Expensive food, supplements and accessories aside… There are quite a few commercial gyms in London, but the state of them is just so bad.

If anything they’ve gotten too “advanced”, I’ve never seen a gym in other places in Europe I’ve travelled or lived that has only plate stack machines, no dumbbells, no olympic weights, etc…

That is virtually all the gyms in my area. Not to mention gyms with 80 pound monthly fees (160 + dollars p/m) and 100 pounds in joining fees.

It’s absolutely no wonder to me that young kids are around 150 lbs at MOST when they go into adulthood and have the majority of their muscle from soccer.

Genesis gym is very good, and reasonably priced, but it means a 70 minute commute to go and another 70 minutes to come back for me.

elitefts has appalling shipping costs. Get it from amazon, either UK or USA amazon. comes fast, cheap shipping. elitefts is just about the worst shipping to UK I have ever seen.

You can also get it from the authors directly

I recommend Practical Programming too. These two books should be on everyone’s bookshelves.

In terms of supplements, I’ve been ordering direct from Black Star Labs (ICE particularly). Their service has been great & the shipping’s not too bad - a tub of ICE costs me about £35 inc shipping which (although expensive) is a damn sight cheaper than anywhere else I’ve seen.

Gyms are awful though as you say. The only gym around near me that has even a squat rack is David Lloyd (health club) and that’s £70/month. You can forget a power rack… although they have found the best part of 10 grand for 2 Power Plates (vibration platforms)! Where’s the justice?!

And as you all know - Biotest products here are prohibitively expensive, & usually have all the old names/packaging too.

1/2 of there stuff is made over in Europe so I would think you could order it directly from the manufacturer. The 1/2 is not realistic but I mean their suits, wraps, ect.

Haha besides it�??s an Ohio company what do you expect? That and we are trying to keep the advantage of excellent training equipment all to ourselves :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
We don’t have it easy for sure. Expensive food, supplements and accessories aside… There are quite a few commercial gyms in London, but the state of them is just so bad.

If anything they’ve gotten too “advanced”, I’ve never seen a gym in other places in Europe I’ve travelled or lived that has only plate stack machines, no dumbbells, no olympic weights, etc…

That is virtually all the gyms in my area. Not to mention gyms with 80 pound monthly fees (160 + dollars p/m) and 100 pounds in joining fees.

It’s absolutely no wonder to me that young kids are around 150 lbs at MOST when they go into adulthood and have the majority of their muscle from soccer.

Genesis gym is very good, and reasonably priced, but it means a 70 minute commute to go and another 70 minutes to come back for me.[/quote]

Holy shmokes!

I found a Fusion gym (Surrey Quays) for 40squids a month, no joining fee (I dont even see the amount come off my account every month - makes me wonder if they’re actually charging me).

Anyway most of them are average and like you explained - all machines - but there is one 15 minutes from me on foot that has an athletics track with it and is 90% freeweight. Just throwing that out there if anyone has a Fusion nearby to check it out. (UK only)

[quote]Fordaldo wrote:
In terms of supplements, I’ve been ordering direct from Black Star Labs (ICE particularly). Their service has been great & the shipping’s not too bad - a tub of ICE costs me about £35 inc shipping which (although expensive) is a damn sight cheaper than anywhere else I’ve seen.

Gyms are awful though as you say. The only gym around near me that has even a squat rack is David Lloyd (health club) and that’s £70/month. You can forget a power rack… although they have found the best part of 10 grand for 2 Power Plates (vibration platforms)! Where’s the justice?!

And as you all know - Biotest products here are prohibitively expensive, & usually have all the old names/packaging too.[/quote]

I go to Fitness First (a chain gym) and although most of the people there are wasting their time I have yet to walk into one that didn’t have Olympic Barbells, a Squat Rack, somewhere to do free weight Bench Presses and a Pullup/Dip station. Maybe you should see if there are any of those near you, the membership was about £50 when I joined but I pay just under £40 now.

As for Biotest products get them from the site (make a bulk order), when you see how much you end up paying (including shipping and customs) it will still be around 1/2 the price you would pay over here, you even get it in about 3 days.

[quote]IQ wrote:
Fordaldo wrote:

And as you all know - Biotest products here are prohibitively expensive, & usually have all the old names/packaging too.

I go to Fitness First (a chain gym) and although most of the people there are wasting their time I have yet to walk into one that didn’t have Olympic Barbells, a Squat Rack, somewhere to do free weight Bench Presses and a Pullup/Dip station. Maybe you should see if there are any of those near you, the membership was about £50 when I joined but I pay just under £40 now.

As for Biotest products get them from the site (make a bulk order), when you see how much you end up paying (including shipping and customs) it will still be around 1/2 the price you would pay over here, you even get it in about 3 days.[/quote]

This is exactly the same as me. I pay 35 pounds per month and the good thing is that you can use any fitnessfirst gym in the UK for free. This is useful for me as I travel a lot.

A tip for anyone thinking of joining Fitness First in the UK, join outside of London and then use London gyms if you live there. Signing up in London will most likey cost you double the fee per month. Its what I did!

I also buy from Biotest from this site and I buy in bulk, and after tax and delivery, its substantially worth it.