Elite XC = No Worries for UFC

CaliforniaLaw, When is your first fight? Good luck, Bro. PM as I would love to talk about your training. I just started training about 6 months ago.

As for the average person, you could not be more right. My sister called me freaking out she loved the fights that that she thought it was really cool that I was fighting. She had never really watched MMA before. It was corny, a bit voer the top and the main event sucked, but it was impactful for our sport. That is cool.

The reffing was shitty but thats an easy fix.

Certain fighters get favoritism but whats new?

Gina Carano is still hot… yawn

Kimbo didn’t appear that skilled… Well no shit… you need a MINIMUM of 3yrs training b4 having your first fight imo. Kimbo (even with the best trainers in the world) is inexperienced as fuck and is KOTC level.

But you know what?

He’d be the first one to say that he’s green and needs experience. He would be the first person to tell you that he’s not the best in the world… but he wants to be and will train his ass off to reach that point.

I’ve got nothin for respect for the guy.

Forget worries for the UFC. I’ve never cared about competition for the UFC–frankly, I’d like there to be more of a challenge so it would force the UFC to do more cross promotional fights.

But for this to be the first time MMA is not a primetime network, it makes me depressed. It makes me even more depressed to think about the fact that it got incredible ratings so we can expect more of the same.

And the two biggest fights–Carano and Kimbo–I thought the fights were two children fighting in slow motion. Their striking was sloppy, their ground game was even worse. No wonder boxers look at MMA and laugh…these are our fight cards.

Premiere fights should be intense and extremely skilled…people like GSP, Penn, Sherk, Franklin, or any number of top competitors from respectable orgs should be representing the sport out there. Hell, IFL has done a better job than this. But the caliber of fights I saw from this card was just embarrassing.

[quote]IKIMURA wrote:
I believe MMA is going the wrong direction, all this smack talk and pirotechnics is making me loose interest. Its starting to look like the “WWF”. Once the UFC starts using fireworks “I’M done”. Support your local clubs and events. My own experiences in MMA have been great and respectful.

I have always liked that after giving a beating or getting one we are still friends when done. The smack talk to me sucks and takes away from the honor of the opponent. [/quote]

Well, read above with what I just posted–I agree that MMA is in the wrong direction. That said…who cares if they use fireworks? It is an event–I like a lot of build up. Pride events had some of the craziest fanfare ever, and I loved it.

And I do support my local clubs and events, but if you want serious athletic talent, you need a high level that athletes can advance to (I think pankration could become an Olympic Sport again), you will need professional leagues. Otherwise there is just no future in it. If an athlete is not making enough money to cover training, medical costs, insurance, and a n acceptable standard of living, no matter how much they love the sport and competition, they will not be able to stay with it.

[quote]IKIMURA wrote:
Once the UFC starts using fireworks “I’M done”. [/quote]

So I guess you never saw a Saku fight entrance?

Or Pride.

I gotta chuckle when TUF newbs talk about the “destruction” or “change” of MMA.

I’m all for fireworks if it means a Genki Sudo type entrance is possible. I miss the old UFC ramp. There were a lot of fucked things in this card, but what wasn’t wrong was their production.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I’m all for fireworks if it means a Genki Sudo type entrance is possible. I miss the old UFC ramp. There were a lot of fucked things in this card, but what wasn’t wrong was their production.[/quote]

True, I was a little skeptical when I didn’t recognize the announcer (Gus Johnson?) but after a few matches I kind of warmed up to his style. He did a good job.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
IKIMURA wrote:
Once the UFC starts using fireworks “I’M done”.

So I guess you never saw a Saku fight entrance?

Or Pride.

I gotta chuckle when TUF newbs talk about the “destruction” or “change” of MMA.[/quote]

LOL seriously… don’t even go to pride… what about Tito’s old entrances?? Seriously some people talk out of their asses

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
LOL seriously… don’t even go to pride… what about Tito’s old entrances?? Seriously some people talk out of their asses[/quote]

And IKIMURA, who has been watching UFC since UFC 84, has a seizure: tito ortiz entrance - YouTube

See, I love the old UFC ramp. Who can forget crazy stuff like BJ Penn killing Uno and then jumping the fence and running up the ramp. That was awesome.

And I miss Genki Sudo. No one made an entrance like him.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
And I miss Genki Sudo. No one made an entrance like him.

Genki Sudo Entrance Montage - YouTube [/quote]

Who is that guy? Is he a pro wrassler?

He must suck. Otherwise he’d have a boring entrance.

What happened to Gono? They need to get him on the main card so I can see his entrances again. Makes me chuckle. He had one fight in the UFC. I thought he signed for more.

[quote]otoko wrote:
What happened to Gono? They need to get him on the main card so I can see his entrances again. Makes me chuckle. He had one fight in the UFC. I thought he signed for more. [/quote]

He was supposed to fight on the Anderson Silva-Hendo card, but injured his knee in training. Haven’t heard from him since, but he has a 3-fight deal with the UFC so he should be back.

http://www.790theticket.com/showaudioarchive.php?show=The+Dan+Le+Batard+Show+with+Stugotz#

Here’s a good interview with Bas Rutten (in the audio links on that page). Bas (who is Kimbo’s trainer) tells it like it is, and says that he thinks the fight was stopped too early, and that he believes the fight should have been stopped at the end of round 2 and given his fighter the loss. He says if he was Thompson’s trainer he would have filed a protest.

How does he believe it was stopped too early yet he wanted it stopped earlier. Kimbo looked like he could have taken those elbows all day. He just didn’t know how to get away from them and was saved by the bell.

He believes it was stopped too early in regards to Thompson being hit. Thompson was still on his feet and, though badly hurt, was still completely conscious as you could see from his angry reaction to the ref.

Kimbo, on the other hand, took something like 22 unanswered elbows. Even though the elbows were pathetically weak, 22 unanswered blows is something well worth stopping a fight for.

Remember, this is not the old days of MMA…sadly damage does not decide when to stop or who wins the fight. If that were true, then takedowns would not earn points.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
He says if he was Thompson’s trainer he would have filed a protest.[/quote]

Thompson has already started the process to appeal the decision.

http://sportstwo.com/forums/Interview-James-Thompson-t116599.html

I spent the $36 (including all the ticket master taxes) and went to this.

There was some good undercard matches and some very odd ones. Nick serra came out in a monkey mask and eventually gave up in the middle of the fight. They were standing up and he basically jumped backwards on the ground. The ref told him to get up, but he wouldn’t so they called the fight.

The worst part of the night was about 5 minutes before it went live they announced for everyone to move up to the empty seats. There was a mad rush from everywhere. So basically from the opening fight to the carano fight you had people showing up with other people sitting in there seats. There was constantly someone in front of you moving.

I believe the total attendance was around 8k

[quote]Azzurri wrote:
I spent the $36 (including all the ticket master taxes) and went to this.

There was some good undercard matches and some very odd ones. Nick serra came out in a monkey mask and eventually gave up in the middle of the fight. They were standing up and he basically jumped backwards on the ground. The ref told him to get up, but he wouldn’t so they called the fight.

The worst part of the night was about 5 minutes before it went live they announced for everyone to move up to the empty seats. There was a mad rush from everywhere. So basically from the opening fight to the carano fight you had people showing up with other people sitting in there seats. There was constantly someone in front of you moving.

I believe the total attendance was around 8k[/quote]

That is pretty interesting…I guess they wanted the arena to look fuller for the fans at home. Pretty stupid that people were still coming in and they had told others to fill in the seats. I hate when I get a seat with people who like to stand up and jump around or the idiot in back of you that spills beer all over you.