T Nation

Elite XC = No Worries for UFC

We were laughing about Baroni’s entry. I’m still laughing. All that flash and just got demolished.

It was like they dropped a cage in the middle of a strip club. The dancing girls and entry music was weak at best.

The reffing was absurd. Seriously. I cannot recall the last time I saw a fight stopped while both fighters were still on their feet. They were scared to death of a blood bath and stopped it at the first sign of blood.

Also, why the hell didn’t they drain Thompsons ear before the fight? He looked like he had a fucking water balloon stapled to his head. That was just ridiculous.

LAwlor and Smith was a lot of fun up until that broad hiked up her panties and stopped it.

[quote]mrcold wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Overall I was impressed with the show. I was happy they didn’t go over the top with the production.

Are you serious? I felt like it removed the good fighting aspect of most MMA, and replaced it with the pyrotechnics and flamboyant gayness of WWE…net result, a steaming pile of monkey shit.
[/quote]

I thought the lighting and delivery was about right. A few of the cornier aspects were not new for the national broadcast, such as:

1. dancers - EliteXC always has them;
  2. Baroni’s entrance - That’s the New York Badass for ya, not much else to say;
  3. Trash talk - It’s part of sport (think BJ, Tito, etc…)
  4. Rappers rather than music- This is common in boxing, so not new.

The only 2 other issues I had were the quick stoppages (likely due to a fear of a real beatdown) and as mentioned Shaw talking to the fighters before interviews, but I figure this could be due to CBS concerns with swearing and/or mentioning sponsors.

I don’t know how people are comparing it to WWE. Maybe the reason I like the presentation is because I preferred the Pride shows to the UFC shows.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

But no, I am pretty positive that EliteXC will wind up failing. They invested too much in Kimbo, only to have him struggle horribly against a guy he should flat out killed. Not to mention, anyone familiar with boxing has known for a long time that no one has anything good to say about Gary Shaw and the way he does business.[/quote]

That’s unfortunate. I never heard of Shaw before he started EliteXC so I’ll take your word for it.

I liked what he was doing as far as a business model. It was nice to see fighters move around from promotion to promotion, such as the lending of The Crow and Bobalu to Hardcore FC (before they went under) or the co-promotions with Strikeforce.

Kimbo fight fixed?

He was taking patty cakes when in crucifix. You same guys were complaining about the Lauzon-Florian and Arlovski-O’Brien stoppages. (Hell, in the Arlovski fight, O’Brien couldn’t even get up on his own and many of you still complained about that stoppage.)

Those punches and elbows were NOT doing damage. Thus, the only reason to stop the fight would be due to positional dominance.

What is it, guys: Are stoppages due to positional dominance bogus or not?

Pick a rule that applies to EVERYONE, though; not just guys you happen not to like.

The stand up from side control was bogus. But didn’t the same thing happen in Gonzaga’s fight with Cro Cop? I didn’t hear the huge outcry then.

The guy has had 4 professional fights and barely a year of ground training. And you throw a fit when he’s not fighting like Fedor.

I personally wish the ref would have let Slice KO Thompson into Jardineland. But some refs care about fighter safety and want to stop fights before a fighter suffers a full-blown concussion.

I seriously doubt Kimbo could’ve thrown another combination right after the one that ‘finished’ the fight for at least another 20 seconds…he was completely gassed at that point and both fighters were running on fumes.

I don’t think either of them had much snap on their punches at that point. Thompson was still coherent and pressing the fight, I wish he would’ve taken the ref down and pounded him out.

The ref fucked up, and given the obvious favoritism exhibited previously (the stand up from side-control, I’m pretty sure that didn’t happen in Couture-Gonzaga, if it did I must have been taking a piss or something cause I missed it,) I can only assume that he was in there with an agenda to secure Kimbo’s victory.

I was relatively indifferent to the outcome of the fight, I was just hoping for something exciting to happen, but the way the whole thing went down left me disgusted with the entire affair.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
The ref fucked up, and given the obvious favoritism exhibited previously (the stand up from side-control, I’m pretty sure that didn’t happen in Couture-Gonzaga, if it did I must have been taking a piss or something cause I missed it,) I can only assume that he was in there with an agenda to secure Kimbo’s victory. [/quote]

Typo. Meant Cro Cop.

It was fairly entertaining overall except this had to be the first MMA event that I have watched that didnt involve grappling… is it an elitexc thing or just the fighters?

I just think that most of these fighters would have been eaten alive by alot of the true grapplers that I have seen in the sport…
Where was the brazilian jj?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
slimjim wrote:
The ref fucked up, and given the obvious favoritism exhibited previously (the stand up from side-control, I’m pretty sure that didn’t happen in Couture-Gonzaga, if it did I must have been taking a piss or something cause I missed it,) I can only assume that he was in there with an agenda to secure Kimbo’s victory.

Typo. Meant Cro Cop.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, but then I did have a problem with that standup as well…though Herb Dean allowed Gonzaga more time than Thompson got(a couple minutes at least)…I looked at the time, Thompson got around 20 seconds upon passing to side control before the ref stood them up.

The crowd at the event had me so confused at points. Like something would happen during(inset one of the good fights here) that had my interest piqued, action flowing well; then the crowd just starts letting out some monstrous boos. Oh man the fight didn’t end in 30 seconds, better let the birds out!

On the topics most are discussing, I can’t fathom how the Lawler/Smith fight got stopped at that point. Even if the doctor thought he couldn’t go on AT THAT MOMENT it had been like 1 minute, what happened to the other 4? Without even arguing about his health and how the doctor had to make a call or whatever, he still had 4 more fucking minutes to gather himself, so dumb.

I loved Villasenor kicking the crap out of Baroni. Not only do I like Villasenor, I despise trash-talking douchebags who are more mouth than power. It was a classic beat-down.

Lawler/Smith: Bullshit. That was a war and shoudl have been allowed to continue.

Kimbo/Thompson: When is a fight called when they are both standing up?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
slimjim wrote:

Typo. Meant Cro Cop.[/quote]

I thought that was a bad stand-up, too. That fact, of course, was quickly overshadowed when Gonzaga kicked Cro Cop into next week.

Well, despite the fights not being that great, some bad stoppages and the promotion’s biggest star exposed, Elite XC won the most important cateogry of the night: RATINGS.

The show drew around 3 million viewers, with 4.7 million tuning in for Kimbo’s fight (not counting the overrun). That’s not a huge success, but it is a very good number and the show scored big in the coveted 18-49 demos, beating everything else on TV.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
slimjim wrote:

Typo. Meant Cro Cop.

I thought that was a bad stand-up, too. That fact, of course, was quickly overshadowed when Gonzaga kicked Cro Cop into next week.[/quote]

I think my exact quote was “Yeah man, that stand up was bullsss…HOLY **^&#*&#&(^!”

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Well, despite the fights not being that great, some bad stoppages and the promotion’s biggest star exposed, Elite XC won the most important cateogry of the night: RATINGS.

The show drew around 3 million viewers, with 4.7 million tuning in for Kimbo’s fight (not counting the overrun). That’s not a huge success, but it is a very good number and the show scored big in the coveted 18-49 demos, beating everything else on TV.[/quote]

I recall them saying they were hoping for 3-4 million. That’s at the low end, so I wonder what CBS’ real expectations were? Does this get EliteXC a second show, or are they gone the way of the XFL!

I agree that the reffing was bad.

I figured that Kimbo Slice would not be very good with only a year of training. I don’t know how exposed Kimbo can be knowing his level of training and experience.

How old is he? If he is already in his mid or late thirties I don’t really see him becoming a top ten HW.

Compared to the average person he has alot more talent. Fighting and athletic. He works hard and says all the right things.

I still kind of don’t get the hype though. He is big and strong, has some natural talent for hitting people. Though I heard some comparisons to Mike Tyson. I don’t know who thinks that, kids maybe who only have seen Tyson highlights on youtube. Makes me feel old since I grew up watching Tyson. Kimbo doesn’t have that kind of punching power. Kimbo is big so I expect his hands to be relatively heavy but not anything on Tyson’s level. Or the talent.

Speaking of Tyson, if he wants to make some money he just has seen how he can makes loads of it. I doubt Tyson wants to train but even at an advanced age with shot legs and declining hand speed he would still be better than Kimbo after a year of mma training by virtue of his superior boxing skill and his power, since power is the last thing to go.

heh, any fight involving Tyson would probably have to be held outside of the continental US…I’d recommend Hawaii as we won’t have a sanctioning body until 09

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

The show drew around 3 million viewers, with 4.7 million tuning in for Kimbo’s fight (not counting the overrun). That’s not a huge success, but it is a very good number and the show scored big in the coveted 18-49 demos, beating everything else on TV.

I recall them saying they were hoping for 3-4 million. That’s at the low end, so I wonder what CBS’ real expectations were? Does this get EliteXC a second show, or are they gone the way of the XFL![/quote]

I think they will definitely get a 2nd show. They were going to do one in Aug., but have pushed it back b/c they didn’t think they’d have enough talent ready for that show.

Look for something in Oct. or Nov. is my guess.

Elite XC was terrible, felt more like WWE then a real sport. Kimbo is going to get demolished when he fights somebody good.

I don’t think any fights were fixed…unless they were fixed to suck and waste everyone’s time, in which case they were fixed perfectly.

Huge ratings success.

How many people at the office who had NEVER seen an MMA show were talking about it and hyped about it?

I train MMA and will soon have my first fight but my friends NEVER had an interest at all in MMA. Still… All night Saturday I had to endure text messages about how hot women’s MMA is, and how Kimbo Slice is the greatest fighter ever.

Look, you guys are “hardcore fans.” That’s cool. But don’t mistake your reality for actual reality.

Just because you think something sucks does not mean it was a mainstream failure. “We take a handful of sand from the endless landscape of awareness and call that handful of sand the world.”