T Nation

Elite XC Gone

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7396&zoneid=2

Thoughts?

I never like to see an MMA organization close its doors, as that’s one less avenue for fighters to make a living. Pro Elite and Elite XC were doomed by terrible management.

What fighers will UFC bring in??
Shields? (yes)
Lawler? (they should)
Diaz? (unlikely but I’d like to see it)
KIMBO??? (no chance in you know what)

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7396&zoneid=2

Thoughts?

I never like to see an MMA organization close its doors, as that’s one less avenue for fighters to make a living. Pro Elite and Elite XC were doomed by terrible management.

What fighers will UFC bring in??
Shields? (yes)
Lawler? (they should)
Diaz? (unlikely but I’d like to see it)
KIMBO??? (no chance in you know what)[/quote]

Well its hard to say because there is still a market for them outside the UFC…add in the fact of how “stacked” a couple of the UFC weight divisions are right now. Also,factor in the fighters from the WEC’s defunct weight divisions. Its just hard to call…I think this shakes up things alot.

Alvarez still has DREAM…where I also see Diaz going along with him(granted Diaz settles contract problems). Also,where does this leave Carano/Santos??..as Elite XC gave a big platform for women’s MMA…but there’s still Strikeforce for them.

Now as for Shields and Lawler…I can see them getting inked for the UFC. Dana White talks shit…but I see him trying to ink contract for Kimbo. Even if he has lost some of his “luster,” he is still a big money draw.

I see Affliction picking up a lot of the guys…particularly the heavyweight fighters. I also see Affliction/Golden Boy trying to ink some kind of deal with CBS for maybe free Fight Nights like Spike TV…but still putting out PPV with Showtime or HBO for bigger venue events.

Dana White talks shit…but I see him trying to ink contract for Kimbo. Even if he has lost some of his “luster,” he is still a big money draw. Things are gonna be mighty interesting in next few months.

Elite was run like a circus and needed to die for the sake of MMA. Would Affliction pick up the women fighters?

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Dana White talks shit…but I see him trying to ink contract for Kimbo. Even if he has lost some of his “luster,” he is still a big money draw. Things are gonna be mighty interesting in next few months.[/quote]

If Randy Couture wins the big match next month, Kimbo vs. Lesnar perhaps? With both of them coming off losses, it could be sold as a “loser leaves MMA” match or something like that.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Elite was run like a circus and needed to die for the sake of MMA. Would Affliction pick up the women fighters?

Big_Boss wrote:
Dana White talks shit…but I see him trying to ink contract for Kimbo. Even if he has lost some of his “luster,” he is still a big money draw. Things are gonna be mighty interesting in next few months.

If Randy Couture wins the big match next month, Kimbo vs. Lesnar perhaps? With both of them coming off losses, it could be sold as a “loser leaves MMA” match or something like that.

[/quote]

I like that idea but honestly i think kimbo does not have the strength an technique to do this fight without taking some serious injuries…

Affliction will pick up some of these guys, but Affliction will die after their next card anyways so it would be temporary.

Yeah Donat62 is right. i hate it, but hes right. Maybe the t-shirts get affordable then…

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
[/quote]

No point in doing something like that. Regardless of your feelings for Brock Lesner, the fact remains that he is an actual skilled fighter.

Yes, he’s capitolizing on his size, strength and wrestling ability (Lay and Pray), but he’s still young in his skill sets. He is also a dominating force by sheer natural talent and size and would completely obliterate Kimbo Slice.

That being said, go Randy!!!

[quote]eitelmj wrote:
He is also a dominating force by sheer natural talent and size and would completely obliterate Kimbo Slice.

[/quote]

Lol, that’s actually the real reason why I want to see the fight, to see Brock maul Kimbo. My previous idea was simply a way UFC could sell it.

[quote]dnbjoe wrote:
Yeah Donat62 is right. i hate it, but hes right. Maybe the t-shirts get affordable then…[/quote]

One would think the profits from their $80 shirts alone would be enough to fund the MMA promotion for centuries.

I guess this means we very well might see Nick Diaz back in the UFC. Or the WEC. Nick versus Condit would be fun.

My buddy’s first thought was Kimbo to next season of TUF for the draw. Though the Brock v Kimbo idea sounds like a hoot and a holler.

I’d feed Kimbo to Shane Carwin…I actually think Carwin would murder Brock.

Woe is me.

They’ve got a couple of fighters worth bringing over. I, honestly, don’t think Affliction has much staying power either.

[quote]Yakn Joe wrote:
Woe is me.

They’ve got a couple of fighters worth bringing over. I, honestly, don’t think Affliction has much staying power either.[/quote]

Considering they paid Sylvia $800,000 to get prison raped by Fedor…who was only…“ONLY”…paid $300,000. They need math lessons or they will tank next.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I’d feed Kimbo to Shane Carwin…I actually think Carwin would murder Brock.[/quote]

I was ticked we didn’t get to see Carwin’s fight over the weekend. If he needs some air time, as not a lot of people know about him. Dude is a stud.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Yakn Joe wrote:
Woe is me.

They’ve got a couple of fighters worth bringing over. I, honestly, don’t think Affliction has much staying power either.

Considering they paid Sylvia $800,000 to get prison raped by Fedor…who was only…“ONLY”…paid $300,000. They need math lessons or they will tank next.[/quote]

YOu’ve got to be kidding me. Those were the purses? And Fedor got less than Sylvia?

Yep. I’d say Affliction will be gone shortly.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
I’d feed Kimbo to Shane Carwin…I actually think Carwin would murder Brock.

I was ticked we didn’t get to see Carwin’s fight over the weekend. If he needs some air time, as not a lot of people know about him. Dude is a stud.[/quote]

Tell me about it…people that talk about how huge and athletic Lesnar is…have not seen Shane Carwin…hell he even needs bigger gloves than Brock.

ALSO…guess who is helping Randy Couture prepare for his fight with Lesnar??

Carwin would be that person. He should be prepared for the fight. I think Lesnar walks around about 25 lbs heavier than Carwin does, though. Carwin does wear ridiculously large gloves…something like 5XL.

And, if I’m not mistaken, he was a D2 wrestler instead of D1. That’s about as close to Lesnar as you’ll find in the Heavyweight division for a training partner.

[quote]Yakn Joe wrote:

Tell me about it…people that talk about how huge and athletic Lesnar is…have not seen Shane Carwin…hell he even needs bigger gloves than Brock.

ALSO…guess who is helping Randy Couture prepare for his fight with Lesnar??

Carwin would be that person. He should be prepared for the fight. I think Lesnar walks around about 25 lbs heavier than Carwin does, though. Carwin does wear ridiculously large gloves…something like 5XL.
[/quote]

I don’t know…I remember Carwin actually used to fight at 285lbs. Not sure if he still walks around at that or not. I do know he has to cut weight just like Brock.

He needs more exposure…its been a pain in the ass trying to find out whats going on with his training and such.

I saw an MMA forum talking about a hypothetical fight between the two. That could be an interesting fight.