Elite Weightlifters

Ok, but ligamants can grow thicker and hence withstand more stress. Does that mean that they are not stronger? If you want to get technical, lets define what we mean by ‘stronger’. This discussion starts to resemble those on supertraining list, where one has to back up every statement with refference and people argue over fine points of definitions.

So density of conective tissue and muscle equals real lifting power?

i really wish i had managin the training of weightlifters in front of me but its hundreds of miles away at home, while im here in college. I distinctly remember the 100 pound class bein a LOT taller than 5’6". golgi tendon inhibition is non sequitor as it was said that tendons and ligaments dont get stronger and they do

It also has to be remembered that there is not a direct 1-to-1 correlation between muscle size and muscle strength. There are plenty of individuals who train for hypertrophy only and have really mediocre lifting and functional strength. And anyone who watches the World’s Strongest Man competitions has seen the early rounds, where there is always at least one or two pure bodybuilders, with arms that are MUCH larger than the other competitors, who always end up getting eliminated quite quickly. I think being involved with bodybuilding, and the emphasis on lifting for cosmetic muscle, combined with cultural mindsets, we develop the assumption that big=strong…but go to any farming or mining community and you’ll find a lot of people that are MUCH stronger than their physiques would lead us to believe.

the comments about genetics regarding these elite-level guys remains generally true, though – these guys, in addition to working incredibly hard and having phenomenal will-power, are just plain ol’ gifted, as well.

200 not 100