T Nation

Elite Pro Users, ZMA

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Dont Want None wrote:
I agree with Ashy that my biggest “Pro” for EP is that I no longer have to worry about food timing pre-bed.

I was always trying to make sure I took my ZMA at precisely 9:00, so that I could eat at 10:00, or whatever it was. If I missed it, I had to push back bedtime, or just deal with it.

Now I just take the EP with my Flameout and Probiotic, wash it down with flaxseed and cinnamon, and eat my turkey and cheese… within an hour I am falling asleep on the couch and nearly pass out in bed.[/quote]

Just got mine and started taking it about 30 minutes after dinner on my training days. We’ll see how it goes.[/quote]

Been taking EP for about a week now with good results. Sleep is slightly improved and recovery is slightly faster.

One question I have though, is it possible that EP could make me warmer/hotter while I sleep? There have been a couple nights now where I’ve woken up and been noticeably hotter than usual.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Dont Want None wrote:
I agree with Ashy that my biggest “Pro” for EP is that I no longer have to worry about food timing pre-bed.

I was always trying to make sure I took my ZMA at precisely 9:00, so that I could eat at 10:00, or whatever it was. If I missed it, I had to push back bedtime, or just deal with it.

Now I just take the EP with my Flameout and Probiotic, wash it down with flaxseed and cinnamon, and eat my turkey and cheese… within an hour I am falling asleep on the couch and nearly pass out in bed.[/quote]

Just got mine and started taking it about 30 minutes after dinner on my training days. We’ll see how it goes.[/quote]

Been taking EP for about a week now with good results. Sleep is slightly improved and recovery is slightly faster.

One question I have though, is it possible that EP could make me warmer/hotter while I sleep? There have been a couple nights now where I’ve woken up and been noticeably hotter than usual.[/quote]

would love to know bout this… im not taking EP but i have started taking ZMA (1 week in) and have noticed feeling hot and someitme actually sweating while sleeping. its not severe enough to disturb my sleep but it something i started noticing.

no idea… I’ve been taking it so long I can’t even remember what sleep without it feels, lol. Definitely do not wake up during sleep, though.

I can’t compare to not taking it, but I do tend to run pretty hot at night.

I would assume, an increase in minerals that support hormones, would increase your body temp. Just a guess.

This thread has convinced me to add ElitePro to my next order. No more ZMA…

I definitely prefer Elitepro to ZMA. Used ZMA for a long time, but I’m a recent convert to Elitepro. I agree with ashy that it’s much more convenient to be able to take the Elitepro without sweating the empty stomach. I get awesome sleep with Elitepro… I think it’s actually better than the sleep I get with ZMA. Recovery seems better as well.

I take the full dose every time, and do so before bed. Makes me a bit drowsy, so I wouldn’t take it any other time. Kind of gives me fucked up dreams, but I have pretty vivid and asinine dreams anyway so I don’t count it as a negative lol.

As far as heat goes, I don’t notice much of anything. I run hot anyway though. And relative to the crazy heat spikes from Indigo, I probably wouldn’t notice a minor increase in temperature.

i had crazy dreams on ZMA. one time about cat zombies.

[quote]patrick4588 wrote:
i had crazy dreams on ZMA. one time about cat zombies.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure i had this dream too. What do they put in that stuff?

[quote]facko wrote:
This thread has convinced me to add ElitePro to my next order. No more ZMA…[/quote]

I think it’s a very smart move.

and Biotest should send me a cut.

but seriously, I do think it makes me run much hotter while sleeping so keeping the windows wide open would be smart.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:
This thread has convinced me to add ElitePro to my next order. No more ZMA…[/quote]

I think it’s a very smart move.

and Biotest should send me a cut.

but seriously, I do think it makes me run much hotter while sleeping so keeping the windows wide open would be smart.[/quote]

yes i’ve noticed that as well.

Been using ELITEPRO for a couple weeks now, switching between taking full doses on training nights and half doses on non-training nights. As far as sleep and recovery goes, it’s been extremely beneficial and lives up to the benefits described by users and by Biotest’s article.

One side effect that I have noticed, and can directly link to ELITEPRO, is dry skin. Obviously not something that’s terrible or life threatening, but just something to be aware of for those who use it. If I go 3-7 days in a row taking full doses, my face and my hands get very very dry.

Been taking ZMA for about 3 weeks now. It was great at first. Was getting a full nights rest in 6-7 hours. Then after a week, it seemed to take more and more sleep. And now when I wake up, I feel groggy and drowsy as hell. Even after 8-9 hours of sleep. I’d take caffeine but it seems to have no affect anymore since taking the ZMA. I can kind of feel it affecting my body, but it no longer makes me mentally alert or awake. It’s weird as hell.

ELitepro certainly has my interest. However, I take ZMA primarily for the increased testosterone/recovery/increased REM sleep and sedative effect. One thing that has me hesitant on trying out ELitepro is that the Zinc does not come from monomethionine and aspartate, as ZMA does, but a different origin.

Anyone taking Z-12 with ElitePro? Just curious of any side effects or any feedback for that matter.

I take ElitePro on training days and ZMA on off days. Both are good. I’ve took Z12 and ElitePro and didn’t notice anything. Z12 works great for my gf not so much for me.

I’ve begun taking ZMA again after having simply supplemented with zinc for the last few years. There was a special offer at the supp store around the corner from me and I thought, “hell, why not?”.

I’d forgotten how deeply I am able to sleep after ingesting this stuff, though I also seemed to have forgotten that I am also one of those individuals who wakes up rather early when using ZMA, albeit without any noticeable detrimental side-effects. Additionally, I’d forgotten that magnesium citrate can act as a mild laxative.

Just a couple of questions for those in the know: have any of you tried using smaller doses of ZMA than the recommended 30/450/10.5 mg? Were you able to notice any differences at, for example, 20/300/7 mg?

Also, what are in fact the most bioavailable forms of zinc and magnesium? I’m tempted to go for a DIY-version of ZMA after finishing this bottle and might give chelated zinc a shot. I’ve read conflicting opinions, however, about if this indeed is noticeably more bioavailable than methionine or gluconate. Same goes for the various kinds of magnesium.

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Additionally, I’d forgotten that magnesium citrate can act as a mild laxative.
[/quote]

This right here, along with the improved recovery were enough to convert me from ZMA to ElitePro. Instead of waking up with an urgent need to drop a 2, I wake up rested and have no intestinal scenarios as a result of the ElitePro.

I know most everyone is different as far as their tolerance to magnesium supplements, but as someone who’s pretty sensitive to it, I have no reservations using ElitePro. Good stuff.

I like both. But what I have noticed that I sleep un-interupted for about 5 hrs then I wake up and can’t fall back to sleep. But I’m really grateful for those 5 hrs. I’ve always had issues sleeping more than 1-2 hrs at a time.