T Nation

Elite Pro Users, ZMA

For those out there that use Elite Pro or a similar high end mineral support supplement, how have you felt about the results?

Do you take the recommended dose just before bed? Do you take it only on days when you’ve had an intense workout?

I see no reason to spend a little more and go for the high end version, as opposed to ZMA, unless results have been unimpressive or simply the same.

I haven’t taken ZMA in a while but I do take Elitepro, the full dose. I take it everyday. To be honest, I got lucid/crazy dreams with ZMA, but I haven’t had any of that effect with Elitepro… In my experience, both products give you a pretty deep/refreshing sleep, but ZMA works better with making you fall asleep faster.

Anyways, I guess when I run out of Elitepro, I’ll test out ZMA again.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
I haven’t taken ZMA in a while but I do take Elitepro, the full dose. I take it everyday. To be honest, I got lucid/crazy dreams with ZMA, but I haven’t had any of that effect with Elitepro… In my experience, both products give you a pretty deep/refreshing sleep, but ZMA works better with making you fall asleep faster.

Anyways, I guess when I run out of Elitepro, I’ll test out ZMA again.[/quote]

I just ordered some EP today. Seven pills seems like a lot, you ever do any half doses?

and I assume your just taking it before bed on an empty stomach?

Hey i’ve used both. Right now using elite pro. ZMA is a bit better for sleep (IMO), i’ve felt like EP has been a bit better for recovery (but i have no proof of this). The only thing ZMA has that EP doesn’t is vitamin B so i take my EP with a b75 complex and that helps me sleep pretty good. I only take the full dose on training days (4 a week?) and a half dose on non training days… but i am also a low bodyweight, i imagine for heavier people the full dose is fine.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Anyways, I guess when I run out of Elitepro, I’ll test out ZMA again.[/quote]

I just ordered some EP today. Seven pills seems like a lot, you ever do any half doses?

and I assume your just taking it before bed on an empty stomach?[/quote]
I take 7 pills just because I want all of the magnesium. It’s really not a lot, very easy to swallow. And yes, before bed, not really an empty stomach but it’s not full either, lol.

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
Hey i’ve used both. Right now using elite pro. ZMA is a bit better for sleep (IMO), i’ve felt like EP has been a bit better for recovery (but i have no proof of this). The only thing ZMA has that EP doesn’t is vitamin B so i take my EP with a b75 complex and that helps me sleep pretty good. I only take the full dose on training days (4 a week?) and a half dose on non training days… but i am also a low bodyweight, i imagine for heavier people the full dose is fine. [/quote]
That’s a good point, Elitepro seems very good for recovery, moreso than ZMA… I’m guessing it’s the addition of the other minerals they included.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Hey i’ve used both. Right now using elite pro. ZMA is a bit better for sleep (IMO), i’ve felt like EP has been a bit better for recovery (but i have no proof of this). The only thing ZMA has that EP doesn’t is vitamin B so i take my EP with a b75 complex and that helps me sleep pretty good. I only take the full dose on training days (4 a week?) and a half dose on non training days… but i am also a low bodyweight, i imagine for heavier people the full dose is fine. [/quote]
That’s a good point, Elitepro seems very good for recovery, moreso than ZMA… I’m guessing it’s the addition of the other minerals they included.[/quote]

Just ordered up a bottle. I’m probably going to take full doses on training days and half doses on recovery days.

Any other tips or suggestions when taking this? aside from before bed.

I take the Elite Pro (started last Spring), and while I’m not looking for a sleep aid persay, I do notice better overall recovery during contest dieting when I’m really run down. The idea of popping 7 pills each night was rather daunting initially, but if that’s the dose that’s needed for best effects, I’ll deal.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I take the Elite Pro (started last Spring), and while I’m not looking for a sleep aid persay, I do notice better overall recovery during contest dieting when I’m really run down. The idea of popping 7 pills each night was rather daunting initially, but if that’s the dose that’s needed for best effects, I’ll deal.

S[/quote]

Sounds great, thanks for the info Stu.

Do you take it every night? or go on and off?

Admittedly there are nights when I forget, especially lately with my new work schedule which has me getting home quite a bit later, and as such, I’m getting home from the gym even later. I used to have a solid meal around 7:30/8:00, and then a met drive shake before bed, with a few flameouts and the elite pro. Now I have my solid meal at around 9:00, and sometimes nothing else foodwise after. As such, I TRY to remember to throw down the fish oils and minerals right before bed, but sometimes I’m just half conscious on the couch and don’t make it back into the kitchen.

When I’m in full contest prep mode though, I never forget. Attention to recovery is what’s allowed me to keep pounding away, and doing as well as I have the last few years.

S

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

That’s a good point, Elitepro seems very good for recovery, moreso than ZMA… I’m guessing it’s the addition of the other minerals they included.[/quote]

Just ordered up a bottle. I’m probably going to take full doses on training days and half doses on recovery days.

Any other tips or suggestions when taking this? aside from before bed.[/quote]

they say to take it on an empty stomach, but they are fat soluble minerals so i usually take it with my omega 3 sup, and usually about 3000-5000 iu’s of vit D. (plus the B75 complex). I don’t know if this is the best method or not! (but in regards to the vitamin D i haven’t been sick since is started taking vit D in abundance, and its been almost 2 years!!!).

I’ve noticed much better quality sleep using ELITEPRO Mineral vs. ZMA (Biotest’s). I also really like the fact that you can take ELITEPRO with food and not have to worry about absorption.

From the article:

“Because of the Albion chelation process, it doesn’t matter if you take ELITEPRO minerals with food or without food. Likewise, you can take them with or without other nutrients ? it doesn’t matter, the neutral charge of the chelated minerals prevents any cross-reactivity.”

I hate having to worry about popping ZMA on an empty stomach, and then timing my pre-bed meal for an hour after taking it. My days during classes are always so random with homework/projects/reports that I never know when I’m going to be eating.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

they say to take it on an empty stomach, but they are fat soluble minerals so i usually take it with my omega 3 sup, and usually about 3000-5000 iu’s of vit D. (plus the B75 complex). I don’t know if this is the best method or not! (but in regards to the vitamin D i haven’t been sick since is started taking vit D in abundance, and its been almost 2 years!!!).
[/quote]

Read my above comment. You don’t need to take ELITEPRO Minerals on an empty stomach.

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]

Read my above comment. You don’t need to take ELITEPRO Minerals on an empty stomach.[/quote]

If you don’t have to take it on an empty stomach, I assume you could take it anytime throughout the day, or even divided up into multiple doses?

[quote]benos4752 wrote:

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[/quote]

Read my above comment. You don’t need to take ELITEPRO Minerals on an empty stomach.[/quote]

If you don’t have to take it on an empty stomach, I assume you could take it anytime throughout the day, or even divided up into multiple doses?[/quote]

Magnesium will make you sleepy, so you probably don’t want to take it any other time than before bed.

I used to be a huge fan of ZMA till it started to do the opposite of what it was intended to do. Deep restful sleep became hours of vivid horror movie scenes. I think I was getting enough B6 through my diet and taking more before bed fucked me up. I now take ELITEPRO with some added Zinc and sleep has been awesome!

I absolutely notice a difference in recovery and sleep quality with ELITEPRO vs. without it. Awesome supplement, highly recommended. Flameout, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, and ELITEPRO Mineral Support are hands down must have supplements imo provided your diet is not lacking any other nutrients that should be supplemented.

As far as sleep goes, ZMA provides better for me.

Howver, there’s more to ELITEPRO, don’t forget the importance of selenium as well.

[quote]Hazzyhazz24 wrote:
I used to be a huge fan of ZMA till it started to do the opposite of what it was intended to do. Deep restful sleep became hours of vivid horror movie scenes. I think I was getting enough B6 through my diet and taking more before bed fucked me up. I now take ELITEPRO with some added Zinc and sleep has been awesome!

I absolutely notice a difference in recovery and sleep quality with ELITEPRO vs. without it. Awesome supplement, highly recommended. Flameout, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, and ELITEPRO Mineral Support are hands down must have supplements imo provided your diet is not lacking any other nutrients that should be supplemented. [/quote]

Great to hear.

I agree with Ashy that my biggest “Pro” for EP is that I no longer have to worry about food timing pre-bed.

I was always trying to make sure I took my ZMA at precisely 9:00, so that I could eat at 10:00, or whatever it was. If I missed it, I had to push back bedtime, or just deal with it.

Now I just take the EP with my Flameout and Probiotic, wash it down with flaxseed and cinnamon, and eat my turkey and cheese… within an hour I am falling asleep on the couch and nearly pass out in bed.

[quote]Dont Want None wrote:
I agree with Ashy that my biggest “Pro” for EP is that I no longer have to worry about food timing pre-bed.

I was always trying to make sure I took my ZMA at precisely 9:00, so that I could eat at 10:00, or whatever it was. If I missed it, I had to push back bedtime, or just deal with it.

Now I just take the EP with my Flameout and Probiotic, wash it down with flaxseed and cinnamon, and eat my turkey and cheese… within an hour I am falling asleep on the couch and nearly pass out in bed.[/quote]

Just got mine and started taking it about 30 minutes after dinner on my training days. We’ll see how it goes.