Elevator Mechanic?

Who does or knows someone who does this? I’m looking at getting into this trade and am wondering what advice you guys could give me.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
…am wondering what advice you guys could give me.[/quote]

Don’t screw up? You only get one shot at getting it right?

That is a career?

It has its ups and downs

Yea, quite a complex one at that. It’s a four year apprentice and you learn everything from hydraulics, electrical, finish work, it’s really everything. You can even work on early 20th century lifts, it’s highly lucrative too. The union guys here are making over $50/hour after they pay their dues pension etc. Most ticketed guys are clearing 100k on a 40 hr work week.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Yea, quite a complex one at that. It’s a four year apprentice and you learn everything from hydraulics, electrical, finish work, it’s really everything. You can even work on early 20th century lifts, it’s highly lucrative too. The union guys here are making over $50/hour after they pay their dues pension etc. Most ticketed guys are clearing 100k on a 40 hr work week.[/quote]

Well sumabitch

no advice I work on people, good luck.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Yea, quite a complex one at that. It’s a four year apprentice and you learn everything from hydraulics, electrical, finish work, it’s really everything. You can even work on early 20th century lifts, it’s highly lucrative too. The union guys here are making over $50/hour after they pay their dues pension etc. Most ticketed guys are clearing 100k on a 40 hr work week.[/quote]
Couldn’t you ask the union guys for advice? I mean, they told you the general pay rate, right?

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Couldn’t you ask the union guys for advice? I mean, they told you the general pay rate, right?[/quote]

I have one of my fathers friends works in the union, and I just recently met an apprentice. But I like to scour the shit out of everything looking for info when it comes to stuff like this.

What is a “Union”?

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
What is a “Union”? [/quote]

It’s kinda like an onion. Just smellier.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
What is a “Union”? [/quote]

Awesome for elevator contractors in ontario. :smiley:

What do you know about the union, X-Factor?

Like How many people do they have to replace due to retirement, projected demand for workers in coming years, construction of new high rises, etc.

Also, do you have any uncles that are in good standing? They are a big help. Probably better than actually having any skill or work ethics.

You gotta find this stuff out before you get your heart (or entrance/aptitude test fees) set on it.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
What do you know about the union, X-Factor?

Like How many people do they have to replace due to retirement, projected demand for workers in coming years, construction of new high rises, etc.

Also, do you have any uncles that are in good standing? They are a big help. Probably better than actually having any skill or work ethics.

You gotta find this stuff out before you get your heart (or entrance/aptitude test fees) set on it.

[/quote]

Great questions, the growth until 2014 is expected to be good. Most of these guys do not leave the trade and there are a lot of baby boomers.

We are having tonnes of high rise development in the GTA, lots of condo living, as it seems people are leaning that way here.

My dads friend has been in good standing forever, spoke with him today and all he said is it’s really tough to get in and that he could give me the unions contacts, thats about it. He seemed rushed though. Although he was on a work phone so perhaps he didn’t want to say anything about work on it for some reason. He did say “this isn’t a good line to talk on”.

Anyways. I’m really gunning for this. Does anyone have any idea what trades are actually in demand these days?

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
It has its ups and downs[/quote]

Dammit, you beat me to it! :slight_smile:

OK, how about this:

Getting into this field can really open some doors for you. Plus, it’s the kind of career where you can rise quickly to the top, provided you get in on the ground floor.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what trades are actually in demand these days?[/quote]

Yes. Welding. Between infrastructure breaking down and needing replaced, pipelines going in like I don’t know what, and industrial fabrication picking up, you can’t go wrong with it.

3G certs in flux core and 7018 for unlimited structural/seismic frames will get your foot in the door just about anywhere, but for better money you need to be able to do 6G (pipe), preferably downhill.

Are you a welder? In canada I’ve heard of guys in fort mcmurray making 320/hr. However the property costs are now 300k for a 1 trailer lot. Kind of nuts.

we gonna need people who are good at keeping the sea out with the seas rising and all. go to amsterdam and learn that seems like a pretty good idea to me…

sorry i’m before coffee. haven’t found half my words yet.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Are you a welder? In canada I’ve heard of guys in fort mcmurray making 320/hr. However the property costs are now 300k for a 1 trailer lot. Kind of nuts.[/quote]

Yes. I currently work building and repairing barges. That $320/hr. thing does sound kind of crazy, but it could be true. I’m not in Canada, but it almost goes without saying that no one gets filthy stinking rich working in any trade, but depending on skill level you can do pretty well. Filthy and stinking for sure though.

Most in house or shop welders can reasonably expect 30-50K/year. Pipeline and service work is better, and if you have your own rig or fab shop, you can do pretty darn good.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Are you a welder? In canada I’ve heard of guys in fort mcmurray making 320/hr. However the property costs are now 300k for a 1 trailer lot. Kind of nuts.[/quote]

Yes. I currently work building and repairing barges. That $320/hr. thing does sound kind of crazy, but it could be true. I’m not in Canada, but it almost goes without saying that no one gets filthy stinking rich working in any trade, but depending on skill level you can do pretty well. Filthy and stinking for sure though.

Most in house or shop welders can reasonably expect 30-50K/year. Pipeline and service work is better, and if you have your own rig or fab shop, you can do pretty darn good.

[/quote]

Yea that was for the oil sands in Alberta. They supposedly do like 3/2 and get flights back home on days off. Pretty nutty sounding.