T Nation

Elevated Liver Enzymes?

My liver enzymes came back recently:

ALT 69
AST 43

Both are elevated. Everything else in my labs are normal. I don’t drink. I take some meds (which I have been taking for years continuously and these readings were not elevated in former lab work).

I’m otherwise healthy but seeing a Gastro for lower ab discomfort / pain in the colon; the reason they took labs). The gastro ordered another lab test for me.

He mentioned it might be due to my supplements since he mentioned supplements don’t have the same standard of scrutiny. I take 10 grams of creatine on training days, none on others. Take fish oil, glucosamine, multi vitamin, protein powder. I have been taking these for years and again, never had elevated liver enzymes. Love to hear anyone’s thoughts on what might be causing the elevated AST and ALT levels.

Lifting elevates them. Doesn’t mean it’s not something serious though.

Can some kind of hepatitis (hepatitis F, G, …) can be your liver having hard time with a lot of protein / creatine (happened to me once last year… stopped as soon as I took a halt in supplementation)…

Check it back in 3 / 4 weeks…

Beware of painkiller use too…

if you trained hard the day before the test that could easily have elevated it. if you did, maybe ask for a re-test and make sure you dont workout for 48 hours before the test.

[quote]tork94 wrote:
if you trained hard the day before the test that could easily have elevated it. if you did, maybe ask for a re-test and make sure you dont workout for 48 hours before the test.[/quote]

This.

Also, a deep tissue massage can elevate enzymes even more.

At least one rest day before testing at a minimum.