T Nation

Elevated Hemoglobin and Hemocrit

Guys, I have been on TRT almost 2yrs, 45yoa,(1) shot wk, and my last check up doc says my levels are up and wants me to get a full workup now.

What happens now? Will this effect my dosage? Can I stay on TRT with elevated levels? I don’t want to go off after finally getting normal again.

Thanks for any guidance.

I have read that you can donate blood to reduce levels. Talk to the Doc.

I had to stop TRT 3 months ago for the same reason: hemaglobin and hematocrit were above normal range. I had also read about giving blood as a way to solve the problem, but I can’t donate blood since I take coumadin for atrial fibrilation and they will not accept my blood, nor the risk of excessive bleeding.

At the time, my total t was 2.4 times the high end of the normal range and free t was 3.0 times the high end. I read that supraphysiological t levels will elevate EPO, which is the reason for elevated hemaglobin and hematocrit. Now, if I was a competitive cyclist, that might not be so bad.

Anyway, I may go back to TRT at lower dosages after my blood work looks OK.

I am a competitive athlete, we will see in a month how my levels look. I just restarted on compound T creme. The shots were too incovenient and shot my Estro way up.

People at higher altitudes have higher levels. I expect that adding TRT takes more guys over the limit at higher altitudes.

Going for phlebotomy on Fri and CBC on Mon. We will see how high the levels are.

my dr. wanted my levels at 47,i was constantly at 53-57,so every week, i’d go to the hospital and they would draw 500 cc. yea my dr. wanted them to stay down but they wouldn’t. so he shut me off forcing me underground. now i also do “home blood draws” not recomended,

Saw the Doc today. All levels back to normal after (2) phlebotomies. States that the high levels are a side effect of TRT.
But he wants to do a bone marrow test.Is this part of protocal? Thanks

yes, all part of the game,painful as a mofo.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I have the same issue. I’ve got it down by going & giving blood every 3 months. This keeps my blood pressure & my levels in the good range.

[quote]thunder01 wrote:
I have the same issue. I’ve got it down by going & giving blood every 3 months. This keeps my blood pressure & my levels in the good range.[/quote]

If you do not keep that up, you may then have hematocrit over the limit and be cut off from donating.

He told me that the high levels were a side effect of the TRT. So this is his way of covering his ass? Do I really have to have the marrow test then?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

My doctor told me this can be a problem but I have not had it. The only problem or result of this higher RBC was that you could have trouble stop bleeding or clotting.

I did not extend the conversation beyond that because it does not show up in me.

I have been on this TRT for about two years now and have had no issues but a little backnce. (Which I hate but its tolerable). I think I am even sick less. No colds or anything.

I have varied the shot all over the place and have tried 1 to 1.5 CC’s (200 mg/ml) a couple times as high as 2.0 CC weekly to bi-weekly.

My doctor said it was OK for me to experiment a little. So naturally took that as a license to run.

I have found no great difference between bi-weekly and weekly as far as looks and strength. So I just stick to bi-weekly.

DOES Anyone else notice this???

This seem to keep my level about 800 nm/cc which is sufficient. Allowing me to continue what I am used to in the gym.

I don’t think I have had my estrogen checked so I will ask for that after reading this web site.

One more thing…Am I the only one that wants wrestle which Sharon VanderHorst…Giddy up

[quote]Brody wrote:
He told me that the high levels were a side effect of the TRT. So this is his way of covering his ass? Do I really have to have the marrow test then?[/quote]

Yes, it is. I have lots of docs in my family and stopped just short of becoming one myself, and I can promise you that he’s covering his wazoo. A seriously disappointing percentage of what docs have to do revolves around avoiding suits, and an equally disappointing percentage of what they believe would be in the patient’s best interests is denied by insurance.

As Bushy said, there’s nothing a biopsy would tell you that the microscope wouldn’t except to answer very specific questions about cancer that would manifest in other ways.

Do what you have to do to sleep well, but consider asking him if monitoring wouldn’t be a reasonable choice for a while.

Can’t a high hemocrit level be bad by itself? Viscosity of the blood and all?

damn right it’s bad.b/4 i get my blood draws, my resting h.r. will climb up to around 95-97 bpm. blood thickens up like 60 weight oil.