T Nation

Elevated BUN and creatinine

Ok, for the past 3 months I have been getting blood tests and the same thing comes up:

urea ~11.7 (normal range 3.0-8.9)
creatinine ~100 (normal range 45-85)

Protein intake has been at 1.5g/lb and for a few weeks HALF that to see if it would make a difference in my tests. I have not touched creatine in over 2 months.

I read Dear Mom and Dad article by J. Berardi saying that mildly elevated BUN and creatinine is expected in weight training individuals and I even showed it to my doc but he said it could not explain these values. Here’s the link:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/dear.htm

I am steroid free, for the most part, (I did 3 weeks of M1T) 3 weeks before my 1st blood test (so, that’s almost 4 months ago).

I really need some help.

If JB could get on to this, that would be even better.

I really don’t know if I can help you out or not. I work for an insurance company and we run blood test all the time. Here is what I have on BUN elevation: Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) is formed as an end product of protein metabolism. Elevated BUN indicates kidney disease.
Creatinine: Creatinine is a waste product of creatine from muscle which is excreated by the kidney. Creatinie is a more specific and sensitive indictor of kidney disease the is the BUN.
I hope this helps. What has your dr said about getting these levels back to normal?

BUN elevated by itself can often simply be a sign of dehydration, but when BUN and Creatinine are elevated to gether, it’s more worrisome. JB is correct, however, thet they can often be elvated in people who train with weights.

Get worked up by your doc. Go so far as an ultra sound or some other scan if necessary. If they don’t find anything, I wouldn’t let it bother me too much. Those levels aren’t ridiculously high.