Eleiko Weights

I like to think if I ever owned my own facility I would get Eleiko… especially after seeing Poliquin’s videos on them. I’m sure there are a ton of practically invincible high quality bars out there though. I think the plates would be a hard premium to justify… just having oly plates makes you better then 95% of places to train it would seem.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
You get what you pay for. You are paying for both Quality and the NAME. But think about it before you buy if you don’t plan on beating the hell out of the bar with near max weight or slamming it to the ground then you can go cheaper.[/quote]

I think you meant beyond max weight.[/quote]

No I meant Near max weight. If the bar can hold 1000lbs and you do one deadlift (example I know its still alot of weight) you still may not need the best of the best bar. But if you are training with 700+ lbs of squats or cleans (yeah I know alot of weight) and tje bar is bending with each rep. I can cause more damage over time.

Or I could be wrong :-)[/quote]

Sounds logical to me.

I can imagine the balance of the bar, and the bend etc being superd, but still the $400 dollar plate is just insane i think.

[/quote]

A lot of it with the plates is captive audience. To hold IPF national and international meets, you have to use certain ‘approved’ brands that pay the IPF fees. If memory serves, when we had master worlds last fall, our meet director had to purchase them.[/quote]

Yea but thats powerlifting, you guys do everything arse ways.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Ah ok, so it gives u head while u squat it?[/quote]

Mine does. It even has the goddamned common courtesy to give me a reach-around as well.[/quote]

So you have too cocks?..cause that sir would be pretty sweet.

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
I suck and the bars at my club suck WORSE. My max dead is at 455# and you should see how this wet piece of spaghetti shit bends[/quote]
Bars that bend a lot allow you to deadlift more.

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
I suck and the bars at my club suck WORSE. My max dead is at 455# and you should see how this wet piece of spaghetti shit bends[/quote]
Bars that bend a lot allow you to deadlift more.[/quote]

Bars that bend alot are TERRIBLE for deadlifting. Bar whip is ideal for movements that require a rebound, like the clean or a snatch, but terrible starting from the floor.

Deadlift bars are amongst the stiffest of all. You want enough bend that the bar starts a little higher, but not enough so that the weight takes ages to get moving.

i suck at weightlifting…

but used to get to train with a competition eleiko bar and it was WONDERFUL. spins so good. i think you need to do oly lifting to appreciate the spin on the comp olympic bars… and the nice feel of the knurl. i know this sounds weird… but the women’s eleiko bar doesn’t have a center knurl. what does that mean? it means my neck rash that i get from cleaning bars with center knurls actually got the chance to heal up. i think it depends a bit on what kind of lifter you are… but i get this thing of merging with the bar… oly lifting involves the lifter-barbell system… nothing makes for shittier lifting than a shitty bar :frowning:

[quote]want2getlean wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
Bars that bend a lot allow you to deadlift more.[/quote]

Bars that bend alot are TERRIBLE for deadlifting. Bar whip is ideal for movements that require a rebound, like the clean or a snatch, but terrible starting from the floor.

Deadlift bars are amongst the stiffest of all. You want enough bend that the bar starts a little higher, but not enough so that the weight takes ages to get moving.[/quote]

bars that bend alot are TERRIBLE for deadlifting - because you can’t deadlift with a bar that bends. if you load lots of plates on a bendy bar you aren’t lifting the whole barbell-weight system from a DEAD stop at all - you are lifting the two inner weights, then the next two weights, then the next two weights… incrementally. you can INCREMENTALLY lift a lot more than you can DEAD lift. that is why COMPETITION DEADLIFT bars SHOULD be stiff as fuck and the plates should be small and heavy, too (to PREVENT the weights from lifting off the floor 2 at a time).

there is no baby bear ‘not to stiff not too bendy’ on this one. not if you want it to be a DEAD lift.

Nobody WANTS to spend that much money on a barbell… But some people APPRECIATE the difference. Like how some people are more sensitive to coffee and alcohol and art etc than others… You do get something for the extra money spent in the Eleiko case. Time will tell re: the value of alternatives, though, I guess…

If i win that mega millions…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

So you have too cocks?..cause that sir would be pretty sweet.[/quote]

LOL, guess I wasn’t really thinking about logistics when I made that statement. Certainly would be cool though!

Back on topic - does anyone belong to a gym that has Eleiko equipment? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single one of their plates or bars in person.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

LOL, guess I wasn’t really thinking about logistics when I made that statement. Certainly would be cool though!

Back on topic - does anyone belong to a gym that has Eleiko equipment? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single one of their plates or bars in person.[/quote]

I’m fortunate enough to train in a strength & conditioning facility which is used by a Rabodirect 12 rugby team. They are fully stocked with Eleiko weights and I have to agree that the bars are a pleasure to use.

Might sound weird but they feel heavier than your bog standard bar that you would find in a commercial gym

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Back on topic - does anyone belong to a gym that has Eleiko equipment? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single one of their plates or bars in person.[/quote]

My gym has some of their plates, but only a few, I think they’re 10 kg bumpers.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
1:35, that’s why. Now shut up about it.

Hot fuck I just watched a 5 minute video about steel bars.

Stupid thing is I liked it.

[quote]alexus wrote:
bars that bend alot are TERRIBLE for deadlifting - because you can’t deadlift with a bar that bends. if you load lots of plates on a bendy bar you aren’t lifting the whole barbell-weight system from a DEAD stop at all - you are lifting the two inner weights, then the next two weights, then the next two weights… incrementally. you can INCREMENTALLY lift a lot more than you can DEAD lift. that is why COMPETITION DEADLIFT bars SHOULD be stiff as fuck and the plates should be small and heavy, too (to PREVENT the weights from lifting off the floor 2 at a time).

there is no baby bear ‘not to stiff not too bendy’ on this one. not if you want it to be a DEAD lift.
[/quote]

That’s not true at all…have you ever heard of “pulling the slack out of the bar”? Works much better on a bar with some bend. And the way you describe lifting a loaded bar (2 plates at a time? WTF?) makes me think you’ve never deadlifted before.

Deadlift bars are longer from collar to collar & thinner in diameter to encourage bend in the bar. Not as much as an olympic bar, true, but definitely not stiff with no give.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I’m fortunate enough to train in a strength & conditioning facility which is used by a Rabodirect 12 rugby team. They are fully stocked with Eleiko weights and I have to agree that the bars are a pleasure to use.

Might sound weird but they feel heavier than your bog standard bar that you would find in a commercial gym
[/quote]

In Glasgow? Do they have bumpers and platforms?

When I was there I couldn’t find a place to lift that had bumpers. But I was staying with family that had no internet or even a phone book and they weren’t much help… “Weights? I think your cousin doogie has one o’ they wii-fits in his flat…”

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
1:35, that’s why. Now shut up about it.

Hot fuck I just watched a 5 minute video about steel bars.

Stupid thing is I liked it.[/quote]

1:35 gave me an erection.

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:

[quote]alexus wrote:

[/quote]

That’s not true at all…have you ever heard of “pulling the slack out of the bar”? Works much better on a bar with some bend. And the way you describe lifting a loaded bar (2 plates at a time? WTF?) makes me think you’ve never deadlifted before.

Deadlift bars are longer from collar to collar & thinner in diameter to encourage bend in the bar. Not as much as an olympic bar, true, but definitely not stiff with no give.
[/quote]

reference??

i’ve seen people load up the eleiko olympic bar with fat bumpers and lift the bar incrementally where the plates visibly leave the ground two at a time.

i was told to watch people lift the weights two at a time by an international level olympic lifter, actually (who was of course pissy that people would do that with the sacred fucking barbell).

i don’t give a rats ass whether or not you think i’ve deadlifted before… because that really isn’t relevant to the truth / falsity of what i’m saying…

__

i have of course heard people talk about pulling the slack out of the bar. i thought that was about them appreciating that the significant majority of people don’t get to train with the best / optimal bar for the task.

if you have a link to knowledgeable people saying otherwise i’d love to see it…

deadlift bar vs bar that is stiff with no give. is there a bar that is designed to be stiffer with less give than a deadlift bar? what is that bar designed to be used for?

if you think that other vid was sexy check out this one…

[quote]alexus wrote:

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:

[quote]alexus wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

reference??
[/quote]

Deadlift bars are very stiff, they have very little give. Their is an elekio deadlift bar in my gym and i’ve seen the powerlifters load the bar to 300kg and very little slag in the bar.