Eleiko Weights

I saw the Eleiko Weights on the live spill and was wondering about prices etc.

Who wants to pay $1050 dollars for a 20kg barbell?

Or $400 for a 25kg plate.

Wtf? Are they gold plated?

When you use the bar, you’ll understand.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
When you use the bar, you’ll understand. [/quote]

Ah ok, so it gives u head while u squat it?

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Ah ok, so it gives u head while u squat it?[/quote]

Mine does. It even has the goddamned common courtesy to give me a reach-around as well.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
When you use the bar, you’ll understand. [/quote]

Ah ok, so it gives u head while u squat it?[/quote]

No thats just stupid…

The girl eleiko sends out gives you head obviously.

I’m curious now too.

What makes them worth that much? (I’m not being facetious…I really want to know.)

I must admit I’d love to lift with those Olympic weights. All those colors. I mean it. They’d be great to have.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’m curious now too.

What makes them worth that much? (I’m not being facetious…I really want to know.)

I must admit I’d love to lift with those Olympic weights. All those colors. I mean it. They’d be great to have.[/quote]

The quality of the steel, how well it spins, how long it will last and the brand. Its like nike or adidas put a brand on a shoe and the price goes up.

Isn’t it so expensive because in case of an apocalypse, you can just cold-hammer the bar into various swords and battleaxes?
I for one am pumped for madmax world. Let’s give it a (nuclear) shot!

Since it’s 20 Kg, surely my kinder bar will morph into something like this baby:
http://www.obviouswinner.com/obvwin/tag/berserk-sword
Can’t wait!

Honestly:
I assume it’s about providing exact weights that can be used for competition?

Otherwise, 400 bucks for a 25kg plate is just insane.

Btw, a pricey bar I can understand, it’s used with every lift, shouldn’t break, has to bend juust right etc

You get what you pay for. You are paying for both Quality and the NAME. But think about it before you buy if you don’t plan on beating the hell out of the bar with near max weight or slamming it to the ground then you can go cheaper.

[quote]four60 wrote:
You get what you pay for. You are paying for both Quality and the NAME. But think about it before you buy if you don’t plan on beating the hell out of the bar with near max weight or slamming it to the ground then you can go cheaper.[/quote]

I think you meant beyond max weight.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
You get what you pay for. You are paying for both Quality and the NAME. But think about it before you buy if you don’t plan on beating the hell out of the bar with near max weight or slamming it to the ground then you can go cheaper.[/quote]

I think you meant beyond max weight.[/quote]

No I meant Near max weight. If the bar can hold 1000lbs and you do one deadlift (example I know its still alot of weight) you still may not need the best of the best bar. But if you are training with 700+ lbs of squats or cleans (yeah I know alot of weight) and tje bar is bending with each rep. I can cause more damage over time.

Or I could be wrong :slight_smile:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

No I meant Near max weight. If the bar can hold 1000lbs and you do one deadlift (example I know its still alot of weight) you still may not need the best of the best bar. But if you are training with 700+ lbs of squats or cleans (yeah I know alot of weight) and tje bar is bending with each rep. I can cause more damage over time.

Or I could be wrong :-)[/quote]

Sounds logical to me.

I can imagine the balance of the bar, and the bend etc being superd, but still the $400 dollar plate is just insane i think.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

Sounds logical to me.

I can imagine the balance of the bar, and the bend etc being superd, but still the $400 dollar plate is just insane i think.

[/quote]

A lot of it with the plates is captive audience. To hold IPF national and international meets, you have to use certain ‘approved’ brands that pay the IPF fees. If memory serves, when we had master worlds last fall, our meet director had to purchase them.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

Sounds logical to me.

[/quote]

A lot of it with the plates is captive audience. To hold IPF national and international meets, you have to use certain ‘approved’ brands that pay the IPF fees. If memory serves, when we had master worlds last fall, our meet director had to purchase them.[/quote]

I also guess it does not hurt to train with the same equipment you will compete with.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

I don’t think it does work like that TBH. A bar will bend thousands of time with a specific load and it will never cause damage, much in the same way you can stretch a piece of elastic over and over, BUT, if you stretch it beyond it’s capability then it will be irreparably damaged.

Elieko bars are superb and will last a lifetime with minimal maintenance. Our club has at least a couple that are 20-years old and have been used 4x week for probably millions of reps, as have some of the plates. If I was to buy a bar for weightlifting it would definitely be an Elieko, whether new or second hand (it would DEFINITELY be second hand) :smiley:

[quote]Weighty1 wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

I don’t think it does work like that TBH. A bar will bend thousands of time with a specific load and it will never cause damage, much in the same way you can stretch a piece of elastic over and over, BUT, if you stretch it beyond it’s capability then it will be irreparably damaged.

Elieko bars are superb and will last a lifetime with minimal maintenance. Our club has at least a couple that are 20-years old and have been used 4x week for probably millions of reps, as have some of the plates. If I was to buy a bar for weightlifting it would definitely be an Elieko, whether new or second hand (it would DEFINITELY be second hand) :smiley:
[/quote]

I’ve seen cheap bars bend and stay that way and if you are moving fast the bar starts to flap like wings. Mostly with Squats.

All the bars in my one year old gym are bent. And I’ve never seen anyone use more than the 485 I’ve used for rack pulls. Over time, Eleiko bars might pay off.

I’m too cheap to ever pay that much for plates though.

With Eleiko you’re paying for the quality AND the guarantee that every bar is perfect and will last for years. Let’s say you end up using it for 20 years. That’s just $50 per year. Not bad.

Every single bar in my gym is bent, and I’ve almost never seen them loaded with more than 5 plates*. Even 3 plates and above is only done by very few people in there. Most of those bars are barely usable by now.

We’ll hopefully get some Pendlay bars soon - not quite as good as Eleiko, but apparently pretty damn close, lifetime warranty and 1/3 of the price.

B.

• As soon as I wrote this one of my friends posted a video of a 6 plate squat he did earlier today in our gym :wink:

1:35, that’s why. Now shut up about it.

I suck and the bars at my club suck WORSE. My max dead is at 455# and you should see how this wet piece of spaghetti shit bends ; ( the worst part is the fact it is not over 6 months old and will probably not be replaced for at least three more years the way the club functions ; ( Three years hopefully will see a 600# deadlift raw @ 198# : )