Election Day Thread

Unfortunately, the Bay Area (and I think San Diego? But even San Diego is hardly blue), seems to think that it represents the entirety of CA.

1 Like

Thatā€™s whatā€™s so hilariously ironic about this.

I wonder how many people gave Texas shit for actually talking about secession after '08, only to talk about seceding themselves after '16.

Itā€™s asinine.

2 Likes

Right.

When it comes to policy, I am hesitant towards doing anything that effectively takes ā€œsomethingā€ away from someone else.

Why?

Because someone else can easily use that as precedent to do the same thing to something that I have.

Itā€™s scary.

But Iā€™m finally starting to realize that arguing on the basis of principles is something that neither party really supports, so I donā€™t know what to do.

And on that I wholeheartedly agree with you. My biggest frustration with liberalism is itā€™s lost the basic principles of freedoms and rights in which it was built. The absolute pillar of democracy is free speech and debate. That has to involve a basic respect for ideological adversaries for it to work. Otherwise, you end up with riots and shouting much like we are watching. I hate this. I miss good natured political sparring.

1 Like

IMHO: A lot of what we are seeing is a large segment of our society has no experience at losing. Most of these people were 12 years old when Obama was elected. They have never known anything but his administration. I would wager most have never had to deal with any practical life problems, hell, our America even gives out awards for losing a little league game. Even thou we been at war for 15 years, most have never had to deal with the harsh reality of life, sometimes all you need is to be able to live. So, they lost, then next time: vote. Attacking police and damaging someones personal property because you lost is stupid and childish. This must be the first time they were ever denied anything. I am a bigger fool than I thought, I actually believe in my duty to my country, these people dont believe in anything but their own self gratification.

4 Likes

Your sentence was perfectly clear. Now Iā€™m saying you canā€™t back up your assertion with anything other than a brain fart.

Go feel scared and complain about it to someone who gives a fuck you crybaby.

Live coverage of pdx. The mayor is an asshat and had a press meeting today, stating itā€™s a trajedy that a small few would resort to violence and overshadow such an important national conversation. I believe 27 were arrested yesterday.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.kgw.com/amp/news/local/trump-protests-planned-for-fourth-straight-night/351192552?client=safari

Edit: do not worry. They are fully prepared to pay up for the damagesā€¦ via a go fund me account.

Omg lol, Iā€™m keeping this

2 Likes

Just watched the Bill Maher show, one of the people on the show called Trump winning the election a moral 9/11 attack. Just LOL

Some kids tried to protest in one of the high schools here in townā€¦

Continue arguing on principles. Just because they donā€™t support it doesnā€™t mean itā€™s wrong. In essence that just shows how truly important it is that principled arguments do not vanish.

1 Like

Agree. I was having a discussion on this matter a number of days ago, and I posited the following:

The foundation of classical liberalism is that it presupposes a regularā€“if not dailyā€“exposure to adversity, pain, and oppression as a reminder of the importance of these freedoms and rights. Real oppression, not bullshit. As we have become more materialistic and as our lives have increasingly become comfortable and lazy (in historical terms) we have lost the perspective needed to maintain the importance of those rights as dominant over others. No hunting for food unless you want to, no quartering of troops in your home, etc. The same phenomenon that allows one to choose the luxury of veganism also simultaneously predisposes the same person to forget

A: Why they have that luxury
B: Why it is important to allow other people freedoms that conflict with theirs and
C: Why the assumption of good faith is important.

3 Likes

I told you that you misinterpreted my assertion.

And you effectively respond by saying that I donā€™t even know what I typed.

Ok.

In fairness youā€™ve typed quite a bit that you are claiming is being misinterpreted. To give but one example, your quoting Martin Niemƶllerā€™s famous statement regarding not speaking up when the Nazis came for the Jews absolutely invoked Hitler in a statement about Trump. For those of us who are far to aware of where we were and where we are, itā€™s an example of hyperbole that has been used far too often and has caused people to grow weary of it. At the very least, Itā€™s not a good rhetorical move, and I find it much more akin to crying wolf.

2 Likes

Actually I think traffic is still worse. Someone had enough of that and pulled a gun on protesters because of it.

That is pretty much spot on. As I have long said Hillary Clinton was such a bad candidate that even Donald Trump would beat her.

1 Like

I agree good post Aragorn

Its pretty obvious to myself and at least a few others that you are being disingenuous by conflating the republican party with white nationalists, then pretending that you didnā€™t.

Thatā€™s all for that. Moving onā€¦

It takes a Brit to see WTF is wrong with American political discourse, but a few of us have been kicking rocks for years over this. Listen through the first part of this rant and make sure you hear the entire thing. No direct link to the video but itā€™s on his FB page.

1 Like