Elderly Strength Training?

My 60 year old mother called me and she asked if I would get her started on a weight training program. I would feel guilty if I pointed her in the direction of a big chain fitness personal trainer. I told her I would be her training for a few months. I am well read (thanks to this website) on training, but have no clue where to start training someone as out of shape and …old as she is.

Ohh, Her doctors want her to start working out, and they say she has no special conditions besides being out of shape for a long time.

It’s great that she has no special conditions. That’s often a severely limiting factor.

Honestly, I’ve never been in your position, so I can only guess here. I would advise a very simple program with a very light volume, making sure to include stuff she enjoys (thinking deadlifts, bench press, and rows, all for 3 sets, 10reps at a challenging weight) and plenty of walking. At the same time, I would advise she make one or two solid dietary changes, like making sure to eat a breakfast of eggs (because they’ve got protein) and making sure to have a sandwich with meat for lunch.

I mean, small changes. Mostly because she probably doesn’t want to become ‘ripped’, ‘cut’, or even ‘big’. She’s aiming for ‘healthy’.

Good luck, post how it goes.

[quote]nomilkforsanta wrote:
My 60 year old mother called me and she asked if I would get her started on a weight training program. I would feel guilty if I pointed her in the direction of a big chain fitness personal trainer. I told her I would be her training for a few months. I am well read (thanks to this website) on training, but have no clue where to start training someone as out of shape and …old as she is.

Ohh, Her doctors want her to start working out, and they say she has no special conditions besides being out of shape for a long time. [/quote]

Congrats to her for starting a program. But dude, 60 isn’t “elderly”. Sheesh. If she’s just deconditioned, it doesn’t really matter if she’s 60, 40, or 20. She’s a beginner, so the same basic rules apply.

Assuming she has a clean bill of health (no blood pressure, asthma, joint issues, etc.), I agree with Otep that you should include things she’s interested while still making sure it’s actually effective. But that’s a big key. She has to have a reason to enjoy being at the gym. Even if it’s just looking forward to a few sets on her favorite machine… anything.

Lollygagging along through a step aerobics class (or whatever) might seem appealing to her for whatever reason, but you need to make sure she’s hitting the iron 2-3 times a week. If she needs convincing, let her know about the bone density benefits of moderately-heavy lifting.

Just make sure you don’t give her too much, too quickly. And do whatever you can to avoid excessive soreness. Some static stretching post-workout helps a lot, as does a post-workout shake. She might not be ready for Surge (yet), but she’ll probably agree to chocolate milk with a scoop of protein powder should be.

Old people have more fragile joints, so you might wanna give her less volume than usual.

The take home point is keep the weights challenging for strength gains. People into their 90s are able to build muscle if the weights are challenging.

Use ramped weights up to 1 heavy set. That will build conditioning and strength but will minimize the wear and tear on the joints. Use progressively heavier weights but progress relatively slowly so ligaments can keep up with muscle growth. Starting light and working whole body frequently will minimize DOMS and she will be more likely to stick with it.

Bands.

Start with some band work if joints are stiff and/or little strength.

My mum (simalar age) deadlifts with 4kg dumbbells in a ‘pump’ class for some silly number of reps. She won’t listen to me. She was very proud since she moved up from 2kg.

Awesome if your mum will listens to you.

Training the elderly and out of condition people can be very challenging and quite scary, but as mentioned earlier the same basic rules apply.

This said there is some helpful concepts that you should apply.

1. Preparation is all important, know all your goals, weaknesses, limitations and get a check up from a doctor
  2. Create a solid work base, to limit risks of injury, and heart problems start your client with a walking program and a solid diet for a few weeks, and introduce basic stretches and moving joints around their full range of motion
  3. When introducing resitance work, start small slowly build range of motion with light weights. Remember quality of motion is the primary goal.
  4. Once this is established it will be possible to try more advanced weights exercises and heavier loads

My guess is she will be pleasantly suprised with small achievements. Always try to build on what she has.

Long Live The Bodyscience

Yeah I’ll echo the above and just add to remember that what seems like a ‘light’ starting weight to you, may feel heavy for her. Just start as light as she needs it and teach her good technique first off. Increase the weight gradually so she doesn’t suffer too much soreness.

If she has never done anything like weights before it will all be new and strange for her, so listen and try and be patient (I taught my mother for a while and it was a real exercise in my patience level! Ultimately sometimes people respond best to someone who is not family).

Try and make it as fun as you can, so she will want to continue and explain that a little muscle soreness is natural and will pass if she continues to train regularly.

Good luck

Oh and make sure she does an adequate warm up as her joints, tendons and ligaments won’t be as mobile as someone younger.

[quote]Lift and Eat wrote:
(I taught my mother for a while and it was a real exercise in my patience level! Ultimately sometimes people respond best to someone who is not family).
[/quote]

Nobody ever believes anyone in their own family knows anything at all.