Elbows Past Back on Rows?

When you do BB or DB rows, do u bring ur arm to the side of ur torso or do you bring is past the back, so like the elbow goes past.

wherever the contraction is best for you my friend, i have a 6’8’’ wingspan so i go past my back

once the back muscles are fully contracted which usually happens when your arms are at about even with side of body, but everyone has different body proportions

I remember an article saying that the wrists shouldn’t pass the shirt in the front or else hyperextension is a risk. Obviously, it will be different for varying arms lengths, but that’s a start.

I used to go all the way back. Turns out if you pull your elbows back all the way, your shoulder tends to go foreward, which is bad. Also, I tend to feel it more in my back when I only pull till my shoulders are in line with my back (otherwise I’m finishing the motion with my biceps and shoulders).

Just make sure you’re retracting your scapula.

All you have to do is use a lighter way and “feel out” your lats. Wherever your back/elbows end up you stay there.

For example, I feel BB rows hit my lats better when I’m completely horizontal and my elbows go past my back.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Just make sure you’re retracting your scapula. [/quote]

to do that I just need to pinch my shoulder blades together right?

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I used to go all the way back. Turns out if you pull your elbows back all the way, your shoulder tends to go foreward, which is bad. Also, I tend to feel it more in my back when I only pull till my shoulders are in line with my back (otherwise I’m finishing the motion with my biceps and shoulders).[/quote]

Good post.

Look at #1 in this article and you will have an answer to your question:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/5_common_technique_mistakes&cr=performanceTraining