Elbows in MMA

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I say elbows should stay, and that includes getting rid of the ridiculous ban against “12 to 6” elbows. The reasoning behind the ban is flawed and therefore so is the ban IMO.

I can understand the ban on stomps to the head of a downed opponent, that could be a lethal strike if landed flush. I do think that soccer kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponent should be re-introduced though. I mean, is a knee to the head of someone down on one knee really going to be all that much more dangerous than a knee to a person on both feet? [/quote]

Soccer kicks…knees on the ground sure as hell would give fighters a sense of urgency…lol.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I say elbows should stay, and that includes getting rid of the ridiculous ban against “12 to 6” elbows. The reasoning behind the ban is flawed and therefore so is the ban IMO.

I can understand the ban on stomps to the head of a downed opponent, that could be a lethal strike if landed flush. I do think that soccer kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponent should be re-introduced though. I mean, is a knee to the head of someone down on one knee really going to be all that much more dangerous than a knee to a person on both feet? [/quote]

Soccer kicks…knees on the ground sure as hell would give fighters a sense of urgency…lol. [/quote]

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

I just hate the bs of was his knee down or not. And guys getting caught in tight clinches and putting their knee down on purpose. Smart move on the part of a fighter to have the smarts to realize to do that doesnt mean I am gonna be a fan of it.

Ok I will give you no more stomping but those where awesome in the Pride days. Seeing grapplers getting stomped for pulling guard incorrectly or laying there inviting guys into guard was something as a striking fan I enjoyed seeing. The sport to me right now just favors grappling a little to much.

punchedbear wrote: The sport to me right now just favors grappling a little to much.

I totally agree, especially in the eyes of the judges, who seem to ignore someone who can defend from the bottom. Getting your ass stomped for 4:30 minutes in a stand up game, then scoring a takedown, should not win you the round.
But,in the current setup of MMA, the reality is,he who scores the most takedowns, whether they do damage or not, usually is awarded the decision. Fighters response to judges outlooks and decisions, and that outlook is taken into account on their overall fight strategies.

In the same vein, can we do away with calling the TKO due to ineffective wanking hammerfists? Ref shouldn’t step in for a pro fight (ammy is another matter) unless the guy getting hit is actually at risk of harm.

Nasty elbows in Marquardt’s SF title win.

^^Vid was removed…but there’s a gif in the OP post wink

I love the setup with more of a forearm smash to get Woodley’s head/chin up and the come with reverse elbow. Nasty indeed.

I like elbows.

Standing elbows are cool, but they’re pretty difficult to land in an MMA fight.

6-12 elbow rule needs to go. I also think the stigma against ending a fight by cuts needs to go.

I would consider “bashing elbows” to be forearm strikes and not elbows.

I see soccer kicks and the 3-point rule as being on a different level. They’re hella cool to watch, but as a competitor I’ll be honest that I’ve been in places where I was really glad they were not legal.

I’m surprised at the Zuffa/UFC references. The rules in play now (in the US) are rule sets approved by athletic commissions. And the 12-6 rule is the only rule I see realistically being taken away.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
I like elbows.

Standing elbows are cool, but they’re pretty difficult to land in an MMA fight.

[/quote]

There’s always room for elbows. No more difficult than any other technique,imo. Jabs seem to be pretty difficult to land in MMA as well…lol.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
^^Vid was removed…but there’s a gif in the OP post wink

I love the setup with more of a forearm smash to get Woodley’s head/chin up and the come with reverse elbow. Nasty indeed. [/quote]

LOL; don’t know how I missed that.

But yeah, maybe I don’t watch enough MMA outside of the UFC, but Bones is the first fighter I’ve seen throw that elbow like it’s a jab. The way that guy has evolved as a fighter is pretty remarkable.

12 to 6 will not be allowed. The unified rules will on get stricter, not looser. No sport, government, school, or organization has ever had less rules as time went on.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:
12 to 6 will not be allowed. The unified rules will on get stricter, not looser. No sport, government, school, or organization has ever had less rules as time went on. [/quote]

Actually, Fight Club has less rules now. They have relaxed their policy on talking about Fight Club.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:
12 to 6 will not be allowed. The unified rules will on get stricter, not looser. No sport, government, school, or organization has ever had less rules as time went on. [/quote]

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I don’t see it as getting less strict, but instead simply just changing. Right now the rules allow elbows, just not 12-6 elbows. All I’m talking about is just changing that rule to simply allow elbows.

The same thing with the kneeing a downed opponent in the head. I’m fine with that rule, though I’d prefer to get rid of it, but perhaps changing the definition of what a downed opponent is to maybe both knees, their butt, or flat on their back/stomach.

Pride had better rules and better fights. Maybe those rules should be adopted.

knees to the head should be re-administered. I think a good reference model is the OneFC ruleset. Knee strikes on the ground change the game a fairbit, with no additional danger.

I think if you’re going to ban something, take out vertical leg strikes on the head of a grounded opponent (stomps, a drop knee to the skull). That could cause serious damage.

Not that I know shit about MMA or its rules, or care for that matter, but stop signing a guy is a streetfighting tactic that shouldn’t be allowed in the ring.

That move takes things to a whole new level of brutality. Maybe it’s just my background in these sort of things, but you knee somebody in the head when he’s on one knee, or worse, both knees - in the ring or out of the ring - and I might come back later on when it’s all said and done to settle some things.

You let stop signing into your sport and it’s the quickest way to get the human cockfighting label brought back in as well.

I’ve been away so long I didn’t even know there was a ban on 6-12 elbows - my vote is elbows are a yes in all their forms, including cutting. Kicking or kneeing people in the head when they’re down, nope. Too creepy.

sigh Well…wanted to stick more on subject of elbows. But soccer kicks/stomps,downed opponent stuff is hot topic as well. I myself…really wouldn’t want to see them back. I kind of concur with Irish about label of “human cockfighting” being brought about again and stalling the mainstream appeal I suppose.

But more importantly…allowing strikes to downed opponent opens up issue of fighter longevity…higher potential for serious injuries(even more so than elbows),imo. I do recognize that it would keep a percentage of fights more “lively” but at what cost?? Not just for health of fighters…but the sport itself. I think keeping the ban gives a legitimacy that MMA needs to survive as a legit sport. Yeah,it sucks…but that’s the cost of being able to enjoy it in it’s current state.

My fault I brought up the stomps sorry BB.

Elbows are something I have been working on for a little bit and feel I still need to learn more angles to throw them from and disguise them. I used to really only wanna use then from clinching as a quick snap up but you can see fighters really using them well even as lead strikes. Which makes me wonder if there are more ways that are just not being utilized because very few are throwing them right now but that is increasing as things like what Marquardt did start becoming more regular.

[quote]punchedbear wrote:
My fault I brought up the stomps sorry BB.

Elbows are something I have been working on for a little bit and feel I still need to learn more angles to throw them from and disguise them. I used to really only wanna use then from clinching as a quick snap up but you can see fighters really using them well even as lead strikes. Which makes me wonder if there are more ways that are just not being utilized because very few are throwing them right now but that is increasing as things like what Marquardt did start becoming more regular.[/quote]

It’s all good…I had no problem chiming in on that subject. As far as elbows and angles…it’s just drilling it through slow-timing and understanding range. Just put it to practice…and keep it simple. Two common elbow combos that we drill are:

A step-in jab followed by reverse elbow. That can easily be disguised as jab-straight…granted you’re not telegraphing the elbow(notice ppl tend to “cock” the elbow…and leave themselves exposed while jabbing). Just make sure you get feel for the range(by moving your feet!) so that you’re not reaching/over-extending on the reverse elbow.

A jab-lead elbow. Basically its a jab followed by lead elbow set-up in similar mechanics of throwing a double jab OR jab-lead hook. Similar to the Jon Jones gif. Again…drill it to understand the range…and the footwork. It’s not a quick set-up…but easily disguises the elbow.

Drill as much as you can…AND slow. Still get time with someone who can hold pads properly for elbow strikes…but get more time drilling at a more methodical pace. Once you really get a feel for range…you’ll be able to get pretty comfortable timing the elbows without the leading jabs.