Elbows in MMA

Damn…are mma fighters finally learning that elbows do more than cut?? I…kid…kid. But I do think guys short-change themselves just looking to cut a guy…a solid elbow to the earhole and/or temple is ruthless. Weidman clipped Munoz with a nice one…now we have Marquardt leading with elbows in Tekken-style demolishing of Tyrone Woodley.

Also,who among us really wants elbows removed from MMA? If…so is it strictly because of fight-ending cuts…or some other reason?? This could also be a chance to discuss the technique itself. Thoughts??

I think elbows are more brutal than punches.
You can generate as much power, if not more, at closer range, and with little to no risk of injurying yourself.
You can also do this while keeping your guard up.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
I think elbows are more brutal than punches.
You can generate as much power, if not more, at closer range, and with little to no risk of injurying yourself.
You can also do this while keeping your guard up.
[/quote]

Oh yeah…the torque on a proper reverse elbow is nasty. But I do feel…that I get more torque with my lead elbow for some odd reason.

Chris Weidman stole my signature move! Moving in with an overhand elbow when someone throws a wild punch is my favorite counter to drill (too bad elbows are too effective to allow in sparring). I should claim credit Steven Seagal style.

And I like how in MMA these days, only a handful of fighters are willing to experiment with new moves. I wish there were more creative, adventerous fighters out there. But almost everyone is set in their ways until someone proves that new stuff can be effective too :frowning:

My two thoughts and personal opinion on using elbows:

1. They should always be allowed in MMA fights, not only for the traditional aspect of MT, but, for their potential for lethality in ending a fight, such as we have just seen in the UFC and Strikeforce. Take away the elbows from a MMA fighter, is like taking away a good jab from a boxer.

2. Since MMA blends a lot of different styles and techniques, it promotes the sport as “it’s as real as it gets”. Well, you take away elbows from a “real” situation, and you are denying yourself of one of the most effective, simple, and powerful close range techniques. Beautiful in it’s simplicity, it can be taught to everyone from the suburbanite to the professional fighter, plus, it has the benefit of belonging to one of those rare techinques, that can actually be used in full battle rattle(armor, weapons, etc). My opinion, if elbows are not allowed in MMA, instructors will drop them from other classes as well, since (sadly) a lot of training facilities, only teach what is popular on PPV.

(Of course, I am not talking about any instructor or trainer on this forum.:slight_smile:

BB: I am with you, my lead is my better than my reverse.

Totally forgot about this short “hellbow” from TUF on FX. I’m surprised Ogle’s head didn’t spin around.

[quote]idaho wrote:
Well, you take away elbows from a “real” situation, and you are denying yourself of one of the most effective, simple, and powerful close range techniques. Beautiful in it’s simplicity, it can be taught to everyone from the suburbanite to the professional fighter, plus, it has the benefit of belonging to one of those rare techinques, that can actually be used in full battle rattle(armor, weapons, etc). My opinion, if elbows are not allowed in MMA, instructors will drop them from other classes as well, since (sadly) a lot of training facilities, only teach what is popular on PPV.
[/quote]

Yes…very important points about their value in self-defense. Elbows(from various angles) work very well in tight quarters…and from high guard…whatever self-defense method a person trains…S.P.E.A.R…etc…Krav Maga…Combatives…Crazy Monkey…whatever.

Yes…could be the difference in how I throw my lead. I kind of drop-step and torque into my lead…feels like I “get my ass behind it more.” It’s not as fast as just pivoting off lead foot…but it makes for good face-smashing power.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
MUTHA FUCKAAS :smiley:

Don’t forget Anderson Silva’s upward reverse elbow on Frykland… highlight reel

[quote]idaho wrote:
2. Since MMA blends a lot of different styles and techniques, it promotes the sport as “it’s as real as it gets”. Well, you take away elbows from a “real” situation, and you are denying yourself of one of the most effective, simple, and powerful close range techniques. Beautiful in it’s simplicity, it can be taught to everyone from the suburbanite to the professional fighter, plus, it has the benefit of belonging to one of those rare techinques, that can actually be used in full battle rattle(armor, weapons, etc). My opinion, if elbows are not allowed in MMA, instructors will drop them from other classes as well, since (sadly) a lot of training facilities, only teach what is popular on PPV.

[/quote]
That’s why they should also allow kicking from the guard when the guy on top is “grounded.”

The elbow is the most dangerous weapon you have to hit someone with. Removing them would be stupid.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Also,who among us really wants elbows removed from MMA? If…so is it strictly because of fight-ending cuts…or some other reason?? This could also be a chance to discuss the technique itself. Thoughts??[/quote]

Nah nah. We can’t pussify MMA. More elbows please.

They definitely inflict more damage and they are a pretty effective, more powerful way to stop a fight. They’re exciting to watch and it’s about time they get used more often. Funny enough, I don’t mind the standing elbow strikes. I usually cringe at the ones of the side of the head, especially during gnp.

Keep the elbows. MMA is as close to realistic as it can be when it comes to fighting. If we start thinking about removing them, then we may as well start watching soccer, where a bunch a millionaire pussies jog back and forth after a ball and then tumble down and cry like brittle bitches as soon they get tackled.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Keep the elbows. MMA is as close to realistic as it can be when it comes to fighting. If we start
thinking about removing them, then we may as well start watching soccer, where a bunch a millionaire pussies jog back and forth after a ball and then tumble down and cry like brittle bitches as soon they get tackled.
[/quote]

Ever tell you I love you?

I have no issue with the guys that try to cut their opponent with elbows. Its part of the game. I am a not a fan of this its unsportsmanlike. Its a freaking fight go hit the other guy. I get why some things are disallowed but elbows are one of the things that should be in there.

Also bring back knees and stomps. Soccer kicks where awesome in the Pride days.

I can see soccer kicks being disallowed in the ufc for a predominatley American market. I would personally like to see them, but I understand why Zuffa would keep them out.

Elbows should stay as they “appear” less vicious than the latter. They are indeed brutal and I dont think their potential has been anywhere close to realized in the UFC.

Great for self defense as an equalizer.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
I can see soccer kicks being disallowed in the ufc for a predominatley American market. I would personally like to see them, but I understand why Zuffa would keep them out.

Elbows should stay as they “appear” less vicious than the latter. They are indeed brutal and I dont think their potential has been anywhere close to realized in the UFC.

Great for self defense as an equalizer.[/quote]

I don’t think it was the “market” that kept them out so much as the athletic commissions. If you want to fight anywhere but an indian reservation you pretty much have to adopt whatever rules the state tells you to; the “unified rules of MMA” are just a set of rules that CA, NV, NJ, and a few other states are willing to accept.

I’ll accept no soccer kicks if NY will approve professional MMA. Would love to go to a fight at MSG.

I say elbows should stay, and that includes getting rid of the ridiculous ban against “12 to 6” elbows. The reasoning behind the ban is flawed and therefore so is the ban IMO.

I can understand the ban on stomps to the head of a downed opponent, that could be a lethal strike if landed flush. I do think that soccer kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponent should be re-introduced though. I mean, is a knee to the head of someone down on one knee really going to be all that much more dangerous than a knee to a person on both feet?

My only problem with elbows is if they had equal force what’s the difference between that and a bare fisted strike. I think if there were no gloves, elbows would not gain traction. The only reason they haven’t been used is that generating adequate force hasn’t been perfected. With Bones bringing to light how deadly they can be, and adding the jumping eventually a trainer will find a way to make them better. I think the hardest strike is using the back muscles more than the front.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
My only problem with elbows is if they had equal force what’s the difference between that and a bare fisted strike. [/quote]

A solid elbow to the head won’t break your elbow, a solid punch might break your hand.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
My only problem with elbows is if they had equal force what’s the difference between that and a bare fisted strike. [/quote]

A solid elbow to the head won’t break your elbow, a solid punch might break your hand.[/quote]

TRUE. Elbow is probably the most dense-hard part of the body you can use without risking injuring. GRANTED you’re connecting properly. A few years back in an amateur muay thai match (elbow strikes allowed with pads)…I accidently struck with side of elbow(where there wasn’t much padding)instead of the point. It shot serious pain up my arm…and my hand went dead…lol.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
My only problem with elbows is if they had equal force what’s the difference between that and a bare fisted strike. I think if there were no gloves, elbows would not gain traction. The only reason they haven’t been used is that generating adequate force hasn’t been perfected. With Bones bringing to light how deadly they can be, and adding the jumping eventually a trainer will find a way to make them better. I think the hardest strike is using the back muscles more than the front. [/quote]

Yeah…the elbow can take what the bare hand cannot. I don’t think Jones is the fighter that really brought them to light…outside of the risky/flashy spinning elbows. Only recently did he showcase the potential of elbows applied in stand-up(Rashad fight). My favorite lead type elbow at that.

As for “perfecting” them…I could see generating adequate force being an issue as far as technique is concerned. But I think the bigger issue is that guys/gals struggle at grasping the range/timing of using an elbow. Again…I’m speaking mainly in space…keep that in mind. BUT even when guys are against the cage…there is a degree of usage that isn’t applied properly,imo.

This…is why you don’t play patty-cake with someone with significant height/reach advantage. I mentioned this before…but this is not a “quick” elbow…but easily disguised…IF you understand range…and timing. This is type of lead elbow that can be disguised with a step-in jab. Especially…as “fake” double jab.