T Nation

Elbows Hurt from Chins and Pull-Ups

Ok, so I used to suck(still kinda do) at chins and pull-ups so i decided to buy one of those chin bars i can use at home. It proved to be a really good investment as i got better at chins and my back got thicker and wider. But then i ran into some trouble: my elbows started getting kinda sore, i ignored it at first but now its gotten slightly worse. What should i do? I don’t wanna lose out on the benefits of doing them but then again, i dont enjoy being in pain.

You just learned a lesson.

When it hurts, stop. Fix problem. Resume.

[quote]lumbahjack wrote:
Ok, so I used to suck(still kinda do) at chins and pull-ups so i decided to buy one of those chin bars i can use at home. It proved to be a really good investment as i got better at chins and my back got thicker and wider. But then i ran into some trouble: my elbows started getting kinda sore, i ignored it at first but now its gotten slightly worse. What should i do? I don’t wanna lose out on the benefits of doing them but then again, i dont enjoy being in pain.[/quote]

Stop doing them until your elbows don’t hurt
Start taking some fish oil. Today.
When they no longer hurt, you’ll need to find a grip that doesn’t hurt, switch to doing them on rings, or start doing pulldowns with some gentler attachment.
I find chinups with a grip slightly outside shoulder width much gentler than pullups.

How’s your shoulder mobility? Might want to google “dc broomstick stretch”

as mentioned in the article linked above - for some people, chins and pull ups ARE bad for elbows. This is definitely true for me with chins. I dont do them on a flat bar anymore.

The best solution: gymnastic rings (as suggested in the article)

try using an eva foam roller and / or a tennis ball to roll out ouchies in your biceps / triceps / forearm. somewhat surprisingly… tight muscles can sometimes result in elbow pain and / or a tendonitis feeling in the elbow.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]lumbahjack wrote:
Ok, so I used to suck(still kinda do) at chins and pull-ups so i decided to buy one of those chin bars i can use at home. It proved to be a really good investment as i got better at chins and my back got thicker and wider. But then i ran into some trouble: my elbows started getting kinda sore, i ignored it at first but now its gotten slightly worse. What should i do? I don’t wanna lose out on the benefits of doing them but then again, i dont enjoy being in pain.[/quote]

thanks a TON dude. I just realised where my problem is. I got overzealous(like a mega noob) and started doing them everyday from a bar. Before this i had even posted in ‘‘Injuries & Rehab’’ thinking that i could fix my elbows with bicep curls. Now i know better. Until i can get access to some rings i will most def cut down on them.
Cheers again.

[quote]JFG wrote:
You just learned a lesson.

When it hurts, stop. Fix problem. Resume.[/quote]

I definitely have learnt

[quote]kakno wrote:
Stop doing them until your elbows don’t hurt
Start taking some fish oil. Today.
When they no longer hurt, you’ll need to find a grip that doesn’t hurt, switch to doing them on rings, or start doing pulldowns with some gentler attachment.
I find chinups with a grip slightly outside shoulder width much gentler than pullups.

How’s your shoulder mobility? Might want to google “dc broomstick stretch”
[/quote]

My shoulder mobility is not bad. But the pain from chins did spread slightly to my left shoulder and had some trouble benching today so i stopped and im waiting for it to subside

Look into getting a couple of sessions of ART

Also look into using fish oil (or Flameout) if you aren’t already.