T Nation

Elbow Tendonitis and Collarbone Strain

So ive had elbow tendonitis for like half a year now, even with a many month hiatus from lifting. ive tried ice and fishoil, ibuprofen…i have a foam roller anything i can do??

also where my collar bone connects to the center of my body, i was during Chad Waterbury’s 100 pushup 50 pullup thing (where the elbow tendonitis and this injury occured) and i was doing a pullup when a sharp pain shot through this area of my collarbone, and it felt like a rip or something, now when i lift my arm up theres this clicking/bubbling noise that i can fell/hear and it gets sore and i worked through it but im afraid to put high loads during chin ups/bench. help?

this picture, where the collar bone meets the breast bone, that joint/tendon whatever it is, is the problem.

Have you seen a doctor? Try to see a sports medicine ortho. I had elbow tendonitus for several months and went and got a cortisone shot, all good now.

[quote] Matt wrote:
Have you seen a doctor? Try to see a sports medicine ortho. I had elbow tendonitus for several months and went and got a cortisone shot, all good now.[/quote]

Second the advice to see the sports doctor.

Matt- be careful with your lifting right now.

As to your collarbone. I know little about this, but it sounds rather like you sprained your AC joint. Where in the pull-up did the pain start? I do know that you should stop anything that stresses your shoulder (like pullups or bench press) until you have this sorted out.

It wouldn’t be the AC (Acromioclavicular) Joint. It would be the SC (Sternoclavicular) joint. The OP probably irritated the SC ligament during the lifting movements. Could be due to tight pec major/minor.

Also, how do you know you just have elbow tendonitis? If the pain remains even after that much time off, there may be something more going on. Where exactly is the elbow pain located? Have you done anything to try and fix the underlying problem or did you just rest it and not do much else?

Cortisone shots may help certain conditions, but even then it won’t fix the underlying problem. It will resolve the current inflammation issue, but won’t fix what was causing the inflammation to begin with. Multiple cortisone shots can lead to a highly increased risk of tendon injury down the road too.

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
It wouldn’t be the AC (Acromioclavicular) Joint. It would be the SC (Sternoclavicular) joint. The OP probably irritated the SC ligament during the lifting movements. Could be due to tight pec major/minor.
[/quote]

x2.

I’ve got the same problem. I reckon I got it from benching heavy loads with a very bad technique for years (shoulder protracted during whole movement), so, from chronic abuse as opposed to an acute event (an acute force applying to the collarbone would’ve rather broken the collarbone instead of injuring the SC joint). I’ve also had a very tight pec minor and subclavius on that side.

It’s kinda rare, I’ve been told, and in some cases this laxity can be fixed by applying proliferation therapy. Unfortunately, it didn’t work in my case.
FWIW: unless you plan to go very heavy on horizontal pressing, this injury shouldn’t get worse. At least, it didn’t in my case and the doc told me the same.

I’d work on fixing potential postural problems to allow for better alignment of the shoulder girdle. And, of course: consult multiple docs.

As an aside, since I don’t know if it means anything: interestingly, since I’ve got this injury, OH presses performed before the neck feel much worse than OH pressing behind the neck.