T Nation

Elbow Position During Bench

So i just read a short article about elbow position during bench press.The question was wether it was better to flare them out or tuck them into the sides.I naturally have always flared them out not on purpose but thats just how they were.

i have seen people keep them in and they were allways pressing more then me.Well the article said to keep them tucked in tight because when there out it puts more stress on youre shoulder hence potator cuff injuries.Now I am gonna try to retrain myself to bench that way but i think its gonna be tough.

I keep my elbows in during close grip for tris but cant help them from going out during heavy bench.I grip the bar with my pointer fingers wrapped around the ring with thumbs wrapped.it seems like i am gonna half to force my elbows in and that will take away from my pressing power,Right.I will post how it goes after i do chest this week.

Think about benching as a whole body movement, not a pec excersise. Firing every muscle available is neccisary to make gains break PR’s. Bringing your elbows in closer to your will allow use more shoulder and tri’s in the press.

Some great sites to look at are westside-barbell.com, and dr.squat.com

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

EC explains “correct” bench form in tip #3.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
So i just read a short article about elbow position during bench press.The question was wether it was better to flare them out or tuck them into the sides.I naturally have always flared them out not on purpose but thats just how they were.

i have seen people keep them in and they were allways pressing more then me.Well the article said to keep them tucked in tight because when there out it puts more stress on youre shoulder hence potator cuff injuries.Now I am gonna try to retrain myself to bench that way but i think its gonna be tough.

I keep my elbows in during close grip for tris but cant help them from going out during heavy bench.I grip the bar with my pointer fingers wrapped around the ring with thumbs wrapped.it seems like i am gonna half to force my elbows in and that will take away from my pressing power,Right.I will post how it goes after i do chest this week.[/quote]

Don’t be so worried bout keeping your elbows all the way in. If you pull them too far in, you’ll basically be doing a tricep extension and your weights will suffer. A good general rule is to have them at about a 45 degree angle.

Not flared out all the way like some bodybuilders, but not glued to your sides. A happy medium. You want them at an angle that can take advantage of all your muscles-shoulders, pecs, and triceps-without over-emphasizing any one area.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Now I am gonna try to retrain myself to bench that way but i think its gonna be tough.
[/quote]

It will seem weird at first but then it will be second nature. I had to retrain myself and although it was awkward at first it was well worth it. Just one of many things keeping my shoulders healthy. Like someone else said, my elbows are positioned at about 45 degrees.

[quote]ultimatethor wrote:
horsepuss wrote:

I keep my elbows in during close grip for tris but cant help them from going out during heavy bench.I grip the bar with my pointer fingers wrapped around the ring with thumbs wrapped.it seems like i am gonna half to force my elbows in and that will take away from my pressing power,Right.I will post how it goes after i do chest this week.

Don’t be so worried bout keeping your elbows all the way in. If you pull them too far in, you’ll basically be doing a tricep extension and your weights will suffer. A good general rule is to have them at about a 45 degree angle.

Not flared out all the way like some bodybuilders, but not glued to your sides. A happy medium. You want them at an angle that can take advantage of all your muscles-shoulders, pecs, and triceps-without over-emphasizing any one area.[/quote]

Great advice. I taught myself to bench this way a couple of years ago, and my poundages have gone up (slightly) while my shoulders are better off. My elbows flare out a bit more on heavier sets, but I think that’s natural.

[quote]

Not flared out all the way like some bodybuilders, but not glued to your sides. A happy medium. You want them at an angle that can take advantage of all your muscles-shoulders, pecs, and triceps-without over-emphasizing any one area.[/quote]

True words, heed the advice.