T Nation

Elbow Pain

So lately I've been having some mild elbow pain going on. I did a quick search and found this article: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/13_tips_for_mighty_elbows_amp_wrists

Some of the suggestions are to cut out extension work for a while, and to do some high rep band work.

What I was wondering is if I should cut out direct tricep work altogether for a week or so, or if doing exercises like close-grip bench press while working in high-rep sets of band pressdowns is ok?

Thanks!

I don't really know what to tell you, but I can tell you that fish oil did miracles for my elbow. I had pain for several months from pitching and had even been using some stuff a doctor had given me, and it just wasn't going away. I saw somebody in the T-cell mention something about megadosing fish oil (20-30 grams), and 3-4 days later it started feeling better than it had in months.

There's a simple test that will answer your question -- does a close-grip bench press cause pain in your elbow? If so, don't do them for a couple weeks. Learning to work around injuries is an important part of the game. Always train hard, but listen to what your body is telling you.

It's funny you mention the fish oil, because I usually do supplement with fish oil, but I haven't had the chance to buy a new bottle for a week or so, and it's within that time frame that I've started to notice the pain. I hadn't even considered it as a possible reason to be honest, but it definitely could be part of the problem. Thanks!

Alright, I'll try it out! I think I will hold back on the skull-crushers for a while though, just until things are feeling healthy again. Thanks for the advice.

I had a similar problem for the last month - pain in my right elbow. I dropped whatever hurt, and worked the crap out of what didn't. I eliminated most benching and direct tricep work - just focused on doing overhead presses and push-ups. Take your fish oil, and lay off the isolation work for now. You can ease back into it when everything feels healed.

background?? i had the same problem, and it solved when i allowed my body to rest, i was using heavy loads (above 90% of 1RM), so i just lowered the weights, had some fish oil and stoped doing exercises like Skull crushers or close grip BP for 3 weeks.

hope it helps