T Nation

Elbow Pain, But Not When Lifting

My elbows hurt when I do simple things like button my coat etc. But when I’m lifting they don’t really hurt that much at all. How can you bench etc. with no pain and have sharp joint pains all the time thereafter?

once the blood is pumped to the joints the pain is masked by inflated sub connectors in the capilarries thus makes the pain not noticable.

I experience the same difficulty. I try to ice my elbows after workouts and after work. I am just starting a greater workout on my forearms to see if it is a lack of strength in them is causing the discomfort. I will keep you posted to ant changes.

It could be arthritis. I know my joints feel better when I’m working out. Maybe it is the increased blood flow that helps.

having the very same problem - doing same like streamline - work on forearms & i also included building up the triceps as well - seems to help somewhat - pain is much less now - i can even grip a book by the spine finally!

[quote]dougefresh wrote:
once the blood is pumped to the joints the pain is masked by inflated sub connectors in the capilarries thus makes the pain not noticable.[/quote]

That is one of the best explanation I’ve ever heard for this. I even understood it. Welcome aboard.

I’ve found that warm up work and ART on a daily basis is helping to alleviate similar symptoms. During which time I stuck with pulling actions - deads, chins, rack pulls, rows etc. Curling action aggrivates mine.

Also, give the arms a week off from curl type activites whilst your doing the ART stuff. Then try easing back into it carefully.

Working for me - so far (fingers crossed)

I got joint pain in my elbow and one of my knees.
Last year I started taking Omega 3, 6, 9 oil in a capsule (1000mg a day) and the joint pain is gone!

I recently stopped taking the oil in December and the joint pain came back!

As soon as I started taking it again every day, joint pain is gone! Not just during workouts, all the time.

I am 43 years old. I do not have arthritis. Try it. It might help.

Some diets require 3000mg of this oil every day. It must be beneficial for a number of reasons including fat loss.

Good Luck

[quote]ctownsend wrote:
I got joint pain in my elbow and one of my knees.
Last year I started taking Omega 3, 6, 9 oil in a capsule (1000mg a day) and the joint pain is gone!

I recently stopped taking the oil in December and the joint pain came back!

As soon as I started taking it again every day, joint pain is gone! Not just during workouts, all the time.

I am 43 years old. I do not have arthritis. Try it. It might help.

Some diets require 3000mg of this oil every day. It must be beneficial for a number of reasons including fat loss.

Good Luck[/quote]

Will Flax oil worj the same as Fish Oil?

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
ctownsend wrote:

Will Flax oil worj the same as Fish Oil?
[/quote]

no

Sounds like you have tennis elbow. I have the same thing and it doesn’t really hurt when I’m benching or doing any kind of pressing movement. But it does hurt if I try and do some pulling movements like upright rows. Kills if I use my bad arm to drink coffee. I’ve been icing it as much as possible and it has been relieving the pain. No totally, but significantly.

I have elbow pain on the inside of my elbow from pull ups.

I stopped pu and I’m starting strengthening my forearms: lever bar, wrist curls. I may even buy a wrist roller for $15 from wal mart and add that.

Any other forearm excercises you are doing?

[quote]FSTYLE1 wrote:
I have elbow pain on the inside of my elbow from pull ups.

I stopped pu and I’m starting strengthening my forearms: lever bar, wrist curls. I may even buy a wrist roller for $15 from wal mart and add that.

Any other forearm excercises you are doing?[/quote]

Not exactly sure what the Wal-Mart doohickey is, but I bought a 1" dowel and some thin rope, and that works great.

where did you buy the dowel. home depot does not have them

Every Home Depot I’ve been to sells them. Check in the lumber section.

I did. No dowels @ hd.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.