Elbow Friendly Triceps Builders

My main training focus in the past has been on trying to build a 1.5 x bodyweight bench however I managed to get tennis elbow which has had a negative point on my training ie I’ve had to have a few weeks off.

At the moment I’m gradually trying to get back in to training and thought it might be a good idea to try some training n a higher rep range and maybe even build a little muscle in the process. As such I would like to try and build my triceps but I think things like extensions may aggravate my tennis elbow, due to limited time i was wondering which would give me the most bang for buck so to speak between close grip bench and dips for triceps developement?

Band pushdowns. Very little strain on the elbow, lots of burn on the triceps. Especially if you try to pull the band apart while you push it down.

I can’t speak to your question on dips vs CGBP, but I’ll also add that getting some elbow sleeves went a long way in helping my elbow pain. I wear the slingshot blue cuffs whenever I press or deadlift. They stretch out a bunch, but still do a good job keeping things warm and compressed.

Id also recommend some elbow sleeves, they will keep your elbows healthy and warm and will alleviate most pain and give you time to heal. And for me I like to do a lot of close grip sets 1x a week and do weighted dips on my overhead pressing day. I have tiny biceps but 20" arms so I think they might work for me

Like I told you months ago in your log, I think you should just have focused on building your regular bench, and press, nothing else.

[quote]knokkelezoute73 wrote:
Like I told you months ago in your log, I think you should just have focused on building your regular bench, and press, nothing else.[/quote]

I guess so but I found all the singles ended up burning me out hence me switching however in hindsight you made a good point about not doing any assistance.

I’ll look into getting some sleeves and will maybe give the band work a shot…thanks for the replies.

board/floor presses
dips
tricep kickbacks
reverse-band bench press
tricep pulldowns (with cables or bands)

at least that’s from my experience. I’ve personally found that overhead extensions, CGBP’s, and skullcrushes put a lot of stress on the elbow joint

Your daily dose of broscience. You’re welcome :wink:

PJR pullovers and dips are both excellent.
Rope pushdowns can work well if you stand a few steps back from the cable. The reason for this is it changes the strength curve so you feel it more in the belly of the muscle rather than at the attachment near the elbow.
I found using a bar hurt my elbow but a rope was fine.

Overhaed rope extension didn’t hurt my elbow at all either and does give the long head a good stretch. Not sure how effective a muscle builder it is but it is a good finisher I guess for some pump work.
I seem to think doing some pump work for triceps can help with elbow health. Could be bullshit but it works for me.

I found most elbow extension exercises bothered mine. It wasn’t until I did sets of ~30reps to failure that I was able to continue working them consistently and recover from the heavies. I prefer very controlled pushdowns that way…

Using the reactive slingshot might be a good choice for you.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Id also recommend some elbow sleeves, they will keep your elbows healthy and warm and will alleviate most pain and give you time to heal. And for me I like to do a lot of close grip sets 1x a week and do weighted dips on my overhead pressing day. I have tiny biceps but 20" arms so I think they might work for me [/quote]

hey man id be curious to know what kind of weight you are putting up on close grip and dips, and if you do any accessory tricep work whatsoever

thanks, 20 inches is fucking huge and a goal for me

[quote]Captain Wheels wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:
Id also recommend some elbow sleeves, they will keep your elbows healthy and warm and will alleviate most pain and give you time to heal. And for me I like to do a lot of close grip sets 1x a week and do weighted dips on my overhead pressing day. I have tiny biceps but 20" arms so I think they might work for me [/quote]

hey man id be curious to know what kind of weight you are putting up on close grip and dips, and if you do any accessory tricep work whatsoever

thanks, 20 inches is fucking huge and a goal for me[/quote]

So I already bench with a relative close grip due to shoulder problems, but I will do closer grip after my work sets. I like to use higher reps, recently I did 225x22 close grip with full range of motion, and have worked up to 295x12 with the same grip.
On that same bench day I will do tricep pushdowns with the split rope because I feel like it keeps my elbows healthier.

Later in the week I’ll do a high rep overhead pressing day, then move to weighted dips. I’ll usually do around 40-50@bw then add plates. I don’t usually go over 90lbs+. I weigh about 275 now so that seems to be enough haha. Occasionally if I don’t feel like doing OHP ill do another lighter bench day with more paused work. And for accessory do Spoto presses and 2-3board press.

I don’t do what most would consider a traditional bodybuilding style of accessory that often, since im a powerlifter.

[quote]cparker wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:

So I already bench with a relative close grip due to shoulder problems, but I will do closer grip after my work sets. I like to use higher reps, recently I did 225x22 close grip with full range of motion, and have worked up to 295x12 with the same grip.
On that same bench day I will do tricep pushdowns with the split rope because I feel like it keeps my elbows healthier.

Later in the week I’ll do a high rep overhead pressing day, then move to weighted dips. I’ll usually do around 40-50@bw then add plates. I don’t usually go over 90lbs+. I weigh about 275 now so that seems to be enough haha. Occasionally if I don’t feel like doing OHP ill do another lighter bench day with more paused work. And for accessory do Spoto presses and 2-3board press.

I don’t do what most would consider a traditional bodybuilding style of accessory that often, since im a powerlifter.
[/quote]

those are some sick numbers, also interesting that you use such high reps

youve provided me with some long term goals to keep in mind, thanks

[quote]cparker wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:

[/quote]

those are some sick numbers, also interesting that you use such high reps

youve provided me with some long term goals to keep in mind, thanks
[/quote]
Well my main lifts are done at lower rep higher intensity. Then my accessory is in the high rep range but still a variation of the movement I did that day. I’d recommend you look at your program and see whats working for you and whats wasted effort, and don’t cycle through different modes of assistance give things time to develop

High rep rope or band extensions, like 30+
A couple sets Iike that should warm your elbows up and help your tennis elbow. I get that from time to time and it helps immensely. Laying off the big pressing for a week while doing that also helped.

I had tennis elbow back in the day, I got one of those compression sleeves and took it easy for about a week and it never came back. I got it from overtraining early on.

I started warming up for triceps work with a few very light sets of rope pushdowns after reading an article by JM. Can even do skullcrushers and OH DB extension, which always gave me problems before.

Scott/gironda extensions 5x20/light weight, dont lockout and focus on the stretch position

bands and fat gripz also a nasty combination…

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Scott/gironda extensions 5x20/light weight, dont lockout and focus on the stretch position

bands and fat gripz also a nasty combination…

2nd this. Even without bands I love fat gripz for close grip

blood flow restriction training might be worth a shot. My elbows can be a little temperamental, particularly when I’m trying to emphasise the long head (overhead stuff, PJRs) so I use BFR which means the tiny little weights I use give me a training effect without chewing up my elbows. BFRs been a godsend in that regard.