Elbow Arthritis

I’m a long time brown belt in BJJ and I have had to modify my game quite a bit.

The elbow us not a weight bearing joint so it does not wear down after arthritis sets in like knees, hips,etc so as long as what you’re doing doesn’t cause any pain then I think must of us have years of lifting left. Certainly long enough for mefical advancements.

Ever watch that adventure race type show that Steve Austin hosts? Look at the way Austin’s arms hang at the elbows. That dude has some significant elbow issues but he obviously still trains.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its’ good to hear how some of you have been doing. I’m sure that it is still a little different in every case. My whole thing is more of on the the fitness side, so I kind of remain in the gym and for the most part is a 4 day split and if I go o the 5th day its just like traps, calves and cardio. I split each muscle into two days, and reps in the 15 but closer to 20 rep range. I think for me I have good days and bad days, or good periods and then bad periods. Like sometimes it can be more swollen overall and in more pain, and like I notice if I take 3 days off with the weekend, by Monday it is feeling much better and swelling goes down. So, just in typing this maybe I’m coming to realize that even what I’m doing may be pushing it. But for sure a huge thing for me has been PT work on the muscle fascia (aka scarred tissue), I’m sure you may notice that it seems more meaty and overall thicker, not just from the bone. Well at least for me it was, and I saw a PT who specialized in that, breaking that down, releasing scar tissue, lowering overall pain on that arm (side note - the PT work is some of the most painful stuff I’ve ever felt as they’re pressing in but worth it), since my main complaints were pain when doing detailed movements, like washing or picking things up needing to use my wrists and arms in natural movements.

Overall it can get a little aggravated, but if I’m careful, do my crochet ball to smooth along the clumped up scar tissue and fascia lines every once in a while, and give some rest during the week, its in overall pretty good shape, so I’m pretty hopeful.

Also, I do at home stretches, massaging the area and wall stretches.

And ROM is much better than it was before my surgery in 2013.

(And sorry not crochet ball, more like lacrosse ball, ones made for myofascial release).

My first physical therapist was way too conservative right after my surgery and because of that the joint capsule was already contracting again before I started any ROM therapy. I should have been holding a small weight for traction the day after the surgery.

My bone had remodeled but the surgeon said I had a major improvement in the ROM by the end of the surgery.

Had a ski fall over a year ago and it impinged my ulnar nerve as well as limited my elbow ROM with limited flexion and extension.

Tried conservative treatment including physical therapy, cortisone injections, and aspiration to remove fluid in the joint.

That gave me some improved ROM, but not full flexion or extension.

So yesterday, I had an elbow arthroscopy done to remove loose bodies, capsular release, release the ulnar nerve tension, and overall cleanup of the elbow joint.

The surgeon says he got full extension after the surgery while I was still under the anesthesia.

I feel as if my ROM is still limited the same it was prior to the surgery with little improvement. It is 24 hours now post surgery and I am supposed to start therapy tomorrow.

I haven’t been able to do overhead presses, bench presses, pullup/chinup properly since my injury last year. My goal was to be able to do these exercises again as a result of the surgery, but I’m doubtful.

Is there any hope for an improved outcome?

Thank you! @JRT6

1 Like

First physical therapy needs to be very aggressive. I had open incision surgery which necessitated cutting part of bicep tendon so my original PT wouldn’t let me hold light weight at extension the day after the surgery which is common practice.

Second, while my range of motion did not improve (and a constant job of keeping it from getting worse). I can lift whatever I want as long as range of motion isn’t a requirement. So I can do most things except some exercises involving the rack position of the front squat. Double overhand grip with my arm not prying on my thighs are mandatory on dead lifts. It took a while but I can safely hold 500lbs and my elbow enjoys the traction.

I still do BJJ with some techniques being modified.