T Nation

Elbow and Wrist in Relation to Knees and Toes

Everyone says that keeping you knees in line with your toes keeps you knees healthy and works in favor of the bodies structures.

So my question is
How do the positions of the elbow and wrist/hand affect each other and what is position that hands down works in favor of the bodies structures?

I always thought that the healthiest position for the hand to be in relation to the elbow was to have your thumb be opposite of the direction your elbow is pointing in. Example. hammer curls, rope extensions, Neutral grip pullups and hammer grip db bench. And the worst being fully pronated due to the nature of the bones of the forearm.

JESUS CHRIST MAN

False!

Jesus Christ Lord and Saviour.

he can't save you from my insane questions

no one?

There's not really a best position for your arms unless you're talking about a specific lift. There are a lot of muscles in the arms, and the reason for that is to provide efficient movement at a huge variety of joint angles. And if you don't train using a wide variety of joint angles, you'll never have a balanced physique (looks OR strength).

So for example, you should train triceps at multiple shoulder, elbow, and wrist angles. Over the head, with wrists pronated: works the long head. At the midline of the body with the wrists pronated (skull crushers): works the long and lateral heads. At the midline or lower, with the wrist supinated (reverse grip crushers or pressdowns): works the medial head. Pronated grip with the elbows down (pressdowns) works the lateral head.

PS: The first sentence of the OP is not necessarily true. For Powerlifting-style squats, yes. But look at the knee, ankle, and hip geometry of the leg press (generally thought to be safer than squats by personal trainers everywhere).

No JayPierce, the body is a rudimentary machine, with extremely simple and specific mechanics... but unfortunately we lost the manual for how to use it years ago, so now nobody has any clue how to move their fucking arms.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MOVE MY ARMS WITHOUT BREAKING THEM!?

HELP!!

LOL!! Just, uhh... just try and be careful there, buddy, mmmkay?

I understand the position of the hand and upper arm changes what muscles are worked more but i see in some threads that people with shoulder problems like benching neutral grip db cause it doesn't cause them any pain or less then anything else. What you said about the leg press. You can have your feet wide narrow w.e you want and still have you knees in line with your toes. Even on non-powerlifting squats knees should never buckle. Meaning knees should follow a certain path right? After all technique is first then adding weight.

It's just a more comfortable position for the shoulder capsule when it comes to bearing weight. Keeping the elbows tucked in places torsional stress on the shoulder instead of shear stress.

I was really referring more to leg presses with the feet placed low on the plate. Emphasizes more quad because the knees drift in front of the knees. Knees should travel straight over the toes on lifts where they do drift forward (low leg press, close lunges, oly-style squats, etc...)

They should follow a certain path, but its not a straight one. Your feet dont move so attempting to keep your knees in line with your feet is a bad idea. Your knees should drift away from the middle of your body on the way down. Obviously the knees shouldnt buckle. But attention should be paid to push the knees outward while squatting. It helps to angle the feet somewhat to acoomplish this.

as far as your primary question goes. Its not nearly as important as where your elbows are in relation to your torso. And whether your scapulae are depressed/retracted or not. Neutral pronated or supinated grip just doesnt matter for what youre talking aobut. What it does affect is which muscles of the arms and back are going to be used predominiantly.