T Nation

Elastic Bands Training (BB not PL)

found some packaging elastic bands (same shape of training bands,30cm/1ft long ) in my w/h and decided to use it with incline bench,
I used more bands than plates,not sure about percentages…
120lb plates and 6 elastic bands per side, it was first time (maybe the last,LOL) with bands I did some attempts to find right blend bands/plates…
well,after just 1 (one) working set my chest was toasted…I rested 3 m and did a set of decline press, just start the warm-up and realized that with that weight (150lb) I just can hit 8 reps…
am I ill or bands are taxing like hell??
or bands are just for PL/performances training?

did any boarders used bands? if yes what kind of % (bands + plates)has been used?

Probably a little too much band resistance. But I agree they can absolutely toast a muscle group. Might be worth using them for the last exercise of a particular muscle group. I tried Banded Bench onetime on an arms day and had trouble performing any pressing for triceps afterwards, I was so fatigued in chest and shoulders!

Id be careful with bands that are not designed for training in mind. Its possible that they may stretch and stress and possibly break in the middle of a set. This would be disasterous! Shell out a bit of money for peace of mind. Plus with proper bands you can use the charts on Elitefts to workout roughly how much tension you are using.

Meadows uses them alot for BBing look into his shit.

yep,you right;very probably too much bands tension,today did CGB(oard)P for tris and reduced the number of bands to 3 per side and loaded more the bar,went good(maybe),anyway bought via ebay some band from EC as shipping from USA it’s ridiculous! also I will have a look to Coach Meadows articles…anyway a total different feel training with rubber LOL

I sometimes use reverse. Great for shoulder health.

There have been two articles in the last three weeks about band training.

Bands and Chains for Bodybuilding by John Meadows:

Bands for Size and Strength by Matt Kroc:

thanx!!

ok,(real) bands arrived safely,attached to the top of rack and used it for reverse incline benching and it was a pleasure to use,the feeling is like using a smith machine,no pressure on shoulders joints,a lot of pressure at the top, used also for CGBoard press (tris); used it doubled,about 50% load bands,50% iron,3x6,feelt good,used for rotator cuff work,facepulls,band apart,bands pullover,
as finishers I used it for one arm side raises (delts),12/14 REPS and for pushdowns for tris…
it’s fun and hard,enother good thing that I saved a lot of money because using the bands (except reverse bench) I use less plates (pardon,DVD disks LOL)…

[quote]buzza wrote:
ok,(real) bands arrived safely,attached to the top of rack and used it for reverse incline benching and it was a pleasure to use,the feeling is like using a smith machine,no pressure on shoulders joints,a lot of pressure at the top, used also for CGBoard press (tris); used it doubled,about 50% load bands,50% iron,3x6,feelt good,used for rotator cuff work,facepulls,band apart,bands pullover,
as finishers I used it for one arm side raises (delts),12/14 REPS and for pushdowns for tris…
it’s fun and hard,enother good thing that I saved a lot of money because using the bands (except reverse bench) I use less plates (pardon,DVD disks LOL)…[/quote]

Try them for more backwork. Great for contraction at the top. Really gets your MMC firing too I find. And yes Face Pulls with them are awesome!

[quote]bignate wrote:
Meadows uses them alot for BBing look into his shit.[/quote]
yes I was going to post this. Dave Tate’s log on EliteFTS has a bunch of workouts with bands (on a pec-deck, for example) that were written by John Meadows himself.

A complex from Thibaudeau that I absolutely love (did it an hour ago, in fact):

A1. Close-grip bench press w/ reverse bands (average band) - 4 x 6
rest 30s
A2. Regular-grip bench press w/ reverse bands (average band) - 4 x max
rest 30s
A3. Wide-grip bench press w/ reverse bands (average band) - 4 x max
rest ~2m

Absolutely toasted.

thanx fellas,much appreciated,i will try it out,one things for sure; bands plus iron is pure (toasted) fun LOL

just to say that i’m using bands also for pulling muscles (back,hammies),they really get top contractions,bought enother set of bands (heavy) so now I get a lot of options (1 medium,1 medium doubled,2 medium not doubled and so on…),doing “bands pullovers”,high rows (Gironda rows?),low rows (like Stu wrote,way better on lats than bb/db rows,),seated leg curl…of course I’m still doing rack-pulls (not banded) at the end of back sessions,hope to gain some more back thickess LOL