Eggs: Yolk Size

I was making eggs earlier, and I was thinking about how many whites/whole eggs to have as obviously I want the goodness of the whole egg but I want to keep calories down and p/f combinations for the meal in check. Whilst cracking these extra large eggs, I noticed that the yolk is about the same size as in smaller eggs, just there is more white. I don’t know if these are freak eggs or what, but if the yolk size doesn’t vary within different egg sizes, could this be the answer to my above dilemma? Which I’m sure many people think about when making eggs.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated:-)

[quote]toby_w wrote:
I was making eggs earlier, and I was thinking about how many whites/whole eggs to have as obviously I want the goodness of the whole egg but I want to keep calories down and p/f combinations for the meal in check. Whilst cracking these extra large eggs, I noticed that the yolk is about the same size as in smaller eggs, just there is more white. I don’t know if these are freak eggs or what, but if the yolk size doesn’t vary within different egg sizes, could this be the answer to my above dilemma? Which I’m sure many people think about when making eggs.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated:-)[/quote]

I don’t think what you saw is normal. In most cases I think bigger eggs have bigger yolks.

[quote]toby_w wrote:
I was making eggs earlier, and I was thinking about how many whites/whole eggs to have as obviously I want the goodness of the whole egg but I want to keep calories down and p/f combinations for the meal in check.[/quote]

Eat the yolks. The amino acid profile of whole eggs is more favorable than egg whites, the yolks have lecithin and good fats, and research shows they will likely decrease ldl cholesterol, not increase it. Good source of food you are throwing away. If you are worried about calories, I can fucking bet there are better things in your diet to take out. Plus, there are starving kids in Africa motherfucker so eat your damn eggs whole you wasteful bastard.

[quote]BlackSabbath wrote:
toby_w wrote:
I was making eggs earlier, and I was thinking about how many whites/whole eggs to have as obviously I want the goodness of the whole egg but I want to keep calories down and p/f combinations for the meal in check.

Eat the yolks. The amino acid profile of whole eggs is more favorable than egg whites, the yolks have lecithin and good fats, and research shows they will likely decrease ldl cholesterol, not increase it. Good source of food you are throwing away. If you are worried about calories, I can fucking bet there are better things in your diet to take out. Plus, there are starving kids in Africa motherfucker so eat your damn eggs whole you wasteful bastard.[/quote]

Haha, normally I do eat all the yolks, and if I do get rid of them its normally 3 egg whites 2 whole eggs, or similar. I’d just never noticed the above before, and was thinking whilst on a cut, extra large eggs would be the better choice, but on a bulk, just whatever’s cheapest.

Tesco (UK Supermarket) has started doing packs of 15, free range for £2.00, which is awesome!

Free Range mean shit. There is no rule or agreed meaning to it.

[quote]DeadRamones wrote:
Free Range mean shit. There is no rule or agreed meaning to it. [/quote]

Yes there is. The chickens have to have access to going outside and pecking around. You are right about it not meaning shit, though. The area they have to peck around doesn’t need to be that great and, here’s the real catch, not all the chickens are smart enough to figure out how to use the little doors that go outside.

From what I understand the labeling “Free Range” is unregulated when it comes to eggs. They can open a window & then label their eggs “Free Range” to jack up the price.

[quote]on edge wrote:
DeadRamones wrote:
The area they have to peck around doesn’t need to be that great and, here’s the real catch, not all the chickens are smart enough to figure out how to use the little doors that go outside.[/quote]

I probably wouldn’t be smart enough to figure it out either.

“free range” has about as much truth to it as “natural”