Eggs as a Protein Source

I am looking to start some intense training and nutrition at the start of the next year, and am looking into eating more eggs as a protein source.

I know there’s another thread about eggs in this forum, but that deals specifically with cooking methods. I am talking about eggs in general.

I usually separate the whites from the yolks and throw a couple into my protein shake along with some high carbohydrate cereal, whipped up in the blender, to give it an extra nutritional boost. I can’t even taste the eggs this way, which is good.

I’ve got my eye on an egg-cooking machine I saw last night, which can cook up to 7 eggs at once, soft or hard boiled. I might just have to get that machine before I start training heavy!

How many eggs would some of the T-Nation members eat per day, and what is your preferred method of eating them? Is excess cholesterol a concern when shovelling down daily eggs?

6-10 for me scrambled with cheese meat and cottage cheese

4 (whole) and sometimes more for me per day.

Use the SEARCH on T-Nation. There are lots of prior posts about eggs and everything you can think off related to eggs…

Eggs are a great protein source. One word of caution though…The ass gas is horrible. But if you live alone or just don’t care eat em up yum! LOL

I like them several ways, but hard boiled is easiest for me. My wife and I buy six dozen at a time from Costco and boil a bunch on Sunday to have available throughout the week. As far as amount it depends on my current program and if they are a main or supplemental source of protein. When using as a main source for one meal I will have six to 10 depending on what I have with them.

Less eggs when eating cheese and meat at the same meal. Then other times I use the to supplement protein intake for the day. That could be three or over 12 depending on the circumstance.

Christopher

To me eggs are the number one protein source. When compared to other protein sources they are of higher bioavalability then most and they are dirt cheap. I can get a dozen omega 3 cage-free eggs for $1.88/dozen. That’s 84 grams of protein for less than 2 dollars. What other protein sources give you so much for so little?

And eat the yolks, they are good for you.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
I am looking to start some intense training and nutrition at the start of the next year, and am looking into eating more eggs as a protein source.[/quote]

New years resolution? How far into January will it be until you give it up?

Eat the yolks ya pansy…

Was it a skillet?

Usually at least a dozen per day, sometimes less. Today, for example, I didn’t have any.

I usually eat them orally and usually with a fork. Some days I use a spoon. The other day I actually used a spork. That was a treat.

No.

Please don’t ask that question again.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
[/quote]

No, not a New Years resolution. I wanted to start this week, but I have extra work commitments over the holiday period, and I’ve got to pull extra 12-hour shifts on the days when I should be working out and recovering. The first of 2007 is just the earliest time I can start because that’s when the extra work commitments end.

I’d love to start as soon as possible!

The egg cooking machine is not a skillet, it’s some kind of an electrical dome-shaped appliance that 7 eggs fits into. I assume it heats them up to simulate boiling.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

No, not a New Years resolution. I wanted to start this week, but I have extra work commitments over the holiday period, and I’ve got to pull extra 12-hour shifts on the days when I should be working out and recovering. The first of 2007 is just the earliest time I can start because that’s when the extra work commitments end.

I’d love to start as soon as possible!

The egg cooking machine is not a skillet, it’s some kind of an electrical dome-shaped appliance that 7 eggs fits into. I assume it heats them up to simulate boiling.
[/quote]

Kinda expensive no doubt, why not use a tried and tested device called a POT and some water, but make sure you bring the water to a boil tho. can cook way more than 7 at a time :slight_smile: Boil for a few minutes, cool them off with cold water after cooking, and the shell peels right off :slight_smile:

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
I’ve got my eye on an egg-cooking machine I saw last night, which can cook up to 7 eggs at once, soft or hard boiled. I might just have to get that machine before I start training heavy!

Was it a skillet?
[/quote]

Yeah, pay attention eengrms76. You can’t hard boil eggs in a skillet. Get yourself a pot, or if you have the extra money invest in a sauce pan (sarcasm).

For god’s sake, don’t throw away the yolk, that’s the best part. The consumption of dietary cholesterol isn’t going to have a big impact on your cholesterol levels. It’s mostly hereditary and trans fats, not eggs.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
I can get a dozen omega 3 cage-free eggs for $1.88/dozen. That’s 84 grams of protein for less than 2 dollars. What other protein sources give you so much for so little?

[quote]

Milk.

[quote]assbuster wrote:
Eggs are a great protein source. One word of caution though…The ass gas is horrible. But if you live alone or just don’t care eat em up yum! LOL[/quote]

Taking digestive enzymes will help combat the “ass gas”.

[quote]RockDiesel wrote:
Taking digestive enzymes will help combat the “ass gas”. [/quote]

I take digestive enzymes but the eggs still produce toxic ass gas, sorry.

[quote]assbuster wrote:
RockDiesel wrote:

I take digestive enzymes but the eggs still produce toxic ass gas, sorry.[/quote]

What do you take?

[quote]assbuster wrote:
RockDiesel wrote:

I take digestive enzymes but the eggs still produce toxic ass gas, sorry.[/quote]

On the AD I eat 12-15 whole eggs a day and the only time I get any noticeable gas at all is during the weekend carb loads. Everybody is obviously different. A whole buncha broccoli can do it sometimes though.

gas can be a sign of food allergy - remember, if you’re eating a lot of the same kind of protein day in and day out, you’re likely to develop an allergy. I did, and it SUCKS. (but thankfully it’s just to whey and not eggs.)

VARY YOUR DIET!

I typically drink a cup of pasturized egg whites 2-3 times per day and eat 4 full ones EOD on top of that.
See ya

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
assbuster wrote:
RockDiesel wrote:

What do you take?[/quote]

Enzymedica Digest

[quote]assbuster wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
assbuster wrote:
RockDiesel wrote:

What do you take?

Enzymedica Digest[/quote]

What dosing? It says 1-3 with meals.