'Eggs are Bad for You'

[quote]99blkta wrote:
Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard is “you only need 1gm of protein per kilo of body weight and thats only for endurance athletes” This was in a kinesiology class[/quote]

the coaches tell us 1g/LB (or LBW) which puts us in the RDA ball park and we all feel like we get good growth and repair.

for a kinesiology instructor to be so against the tide of current research (not even aware of such basics as the RDA) is shameful.

Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs)
Healthy Adult 0.8 gm/kg (0.36 gm/lb.)
Vegetarian/Vegan 0.8-1.0 gm/kg (0.36-0.45 gm/lb.)*
Athlete (endurance) 1.2 ?1.4 gm/kg (0.54-0.64 gm/lb.)
Strength Training 1.6-1.7 gm/kg (0.72-0.77 gm/lb.)

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:
99blkta wrote:
Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard is “you only need 1gm of protein per kilo of body weight and thats only for endurance athletes” This was in a kinesiology class

the coaches tell us 1g/LB (or LBW) which puts us in the RDA ball park and we all feel like we get good growth and repair.

for a kinesiology instructor to be so against the tide of current research (not even aware of such basics as the RDA) is shameful.

Strength Training 1.6-1.7 gm/kg (0.72-0.77 gm/lb.)[/quote]

I think you’re getting pounds and kilos mixed up

Oh yeah, people are dumb and whatnot.

[quote]plateau wrote:
Did she fall in love with you after that conversation?

/Joke[/quote]

lol

yeah, don’t take this the wrong way OP, but it didn’t sound to me like she was a moron… more like a well-meaning but misinformed med student humoring your rant. ^^

I agree 100% with what’s been said about eggs and mainstream nutrition, though. I might add that in addition to their nutrient content, eggs are by far the cheapest and highest quality source of protein in many Asian countries.

and it just occurred to me that most birthday cakes are made from the recipe on the side of the box, which includes eggs. ^^

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
thruxton45 wrote:
99blkta wrote:
Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard is “you only need 1gm of protein per kilo of body weight and thats only for endurance athletes” This was in a kinesiology class

[/quote]

i know what you mean. we use 1g/LB as our reference, but these are the actual RDAs so for a kinesiology instructor to be ignorant of such basics is mind blowing

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:
Trenchant wrote:
thruxton45 wrote:
99blkta wrote:

i know what you mean. we use 1g/LB as our reference, but these are the actual RDAs so for a kinesiology instructor to be ignorant of such basics is mind blowing

[/quote]

It took a lot for me not to laugh when that statement was made. I couldn’t believe it either.

I don’t believe eggs are bad for you. You have to look at overall nutrition to be honest. What I mean is, if you are eating eggs, are you NOT eating crap along with it? Fried crap and processed junk is more the culprit of many illnesses than simply eating eggs. If eating eggs means you are following an intelligent nutrition program for your desired goal then I think its more than fine. I have seen people in other countries eat more eggs than people here, and have much less forms of sickness or problems with body composition.

Like mentioned above, people who tell you eggs are bad are usually shoveling some other truly horrible shit down their throat when they are telling you.

haha jeez I have so many that I dont even know where to begin…but I will.

1. My girlfriends mom wont let my girlfriends brother buy any type of protein from Biotest because some dickhead doctor that she works with appearently told her all of this stuff was bad for his heart. And the best part about this is she goes to gnc and buys their generic protein. (Go ahead rip into the fat bitch, I do all the time anyways…)

2. My girlfriend is in this nutrition class at the college she goes to. Appearently her teacher gave her a handout supposidly from some harvard studdies that said fish oils don’t work and are actually in the long term bad for you. I tried getting the handout but haven’t yet.

3. And my personal favorite…a while back I went into gnc looking for any type of Biotest products…I was low on money and wanted to see if somehow they had some Metabolic Drive complete or even Flameout figuring it could possibly be cheaper. I asked the guy behind the counter if they had any products…he said no, then immedietly walked over to this other shit, mostly gnc generic garbage…So I again asked if he was sure they didnt have any Biotest products. and it went like this
    GUY: We havent had any Biotest products for a while now.
    Me: Oh really? why’s that.
    Guy: Well we pulled them, they werent selling. To be honest, I never really liked it anyways.
    (At this point i believe the “it” was protein)
    Me: There was nothing said here, I was already facing the other way walking out the door.

Biotest only sells via the web (T-Nation) so GNC never had their products.

[quote]phatkins187 wrote:
Biotest only sells via the web (T-Nation) so GNC never had their products.[/quote]

i think they carry HOT-ROX, Carbolin 19, Se7en, and Alpha Male, but i don’t think they’ve ever carried Metabolic Drive.

Biotest doesn’t wholesale, so you can find it in stores but you’ll pay alot more for it.

There was a guy who told my husband at work that a banana was about the worst thing he could eat with his pretein in the morning. It isn’t the WORST thing is it???

lol no, what a moron. who is this guy? what type of protein is he eating?

I don’t know who it was. I asked what he looked like and my hubby said he was a little fluffy. He takes a protein shake to work every morning with some fruit. It’s the only thing I can get him to eat that isn’t eggo waffles or toaster strudels. :frowning:

Oh, and the funniest thing was the other day he forwards me an email from one of his old employees about which fruits and veggies are the best for you and what their benefits are etc. This employee is seriously obese - I’m not being mean - she is truly very, very overweight, and he’ll take what she says as fact. He’s been ignoring my advice on food for forever and I’m in relatively good shape. Makes me scratch my head.

Folks tend to ignore advice from people close to them.

You could have a PhD or an MD and some folks will just regard you as Bill or Sue, not Dr. Bill or Dr. Sue.

That’s just the way it is.

Plus people are fuckin’ dumb.

VARIOUS PEOPLE: I don’t like that you take that creatine/protein/fish capsules shit!
ME: finishes drinking…confused Huh?
VP: It’s not natural!
ME: That would be a valid point if not for the fact that what you eat is so highly processed and stripped of nutrients, that it’s almost pure empty calories. Besides, I train now so I need to get my nutrients this way ALSO, because it gets absorbed faster and helps me replenish my amino acids or what have you so I can grow and prevent any unnecessary muscle breakdown.
VP: YOU’RE GOING TO FUCK UP YOUR LIVER!!!
ME: Oh, ok. How?
VP: usually they either walk out or start yelling because they don’t have the answer

Everyone needs to buy Johnny Bowden’s book, 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. I know we’ve all read his Question of Nutrition, but nothing replaces the unbelievable amount of info in there. It will give you an opportunity to explain yourself very eloquently and thoroughly to the point that people will not argue with you or just have nothing to say.

Colleend78, it’d be a perfect present to get your husband…and yeah, it CRACKS me up when obese or extremely out of shape people try and give me advice on exercise and nutrition. SOME PEOPLE…

The amount of BS I’ve had to deal with over creatine is outrageous. Common complaints:

-It’s a steroid!
-it isn’t natural
-it’s going to make my balls shrink
-it’s bad for my liver/kidneys/heart/appendix

Hey this might be a good thread to ask because I havent really foung anything else on this in T-Nation.

Does anyone know how bad it is to eat canned tuna regularly? Id say I eat about 5-7 cans a week. I have very little time to make lunches in the morning and tuna comes out fast sometimes I even eat it right out of the can. I get a lot of shit for it with the mercury scare. Can anyone enlighten me on this? or send me to sites, or references that can?

Thanks

Heh I wouldn’t worry about it. If I remember correctly there’s a chemical called “selenium” found in fish.

Selenium is plentiful in fish, but the public hasn’t heard much about its role in the mercury puzzle. As biochemists, pharmacologists, and neurologists study this nutrient, we’re gaining a better understanding of its importance.

In scientific jargon, selenium has an unusually high “binding affinity” for mercury. In layman’s terms, this means that when the two elements are found together, they tend to connect, forming a new substance. This makes it difficult for the human body to absorb the mercury separately. So when mercury “binds” to selenium, it’s no longer free to “bind” to anything else – like brain tissue.

The research world is still developing explanations for exactly how selenium cancels out mercury’s potentially toxic effects, but most scientists accept one of two competing theories.

The conventional idea describes selenium as a sort of “mercury magnet.” Under this theory, once selenium is digested it can locate and neutralize mercury molecules. In one study, Japanese researchers found that adding selenium to the diets of birds “gave complete protection” from large amounts of mercury.

Research carried out by scientists in Scotland and the Philippines indicates that the relationship between mercury and selenium is one of “toxicological antagonism.” And in the United States, the Environmental Protection Agency describes selenium as an element that is “antagonistic to the toxic effects of mercury.”

The more recent selenium hypothesis holds that mercury takes a more active role in the relationship. Under this theory, when mercury enters the body it seeks out selenium and takes it out of circulation, preventing the body from creating enzymes that depend on selenium to perform their functions.

Enzymes are special proteins that control the various steps in chemical reactions that make life possible. Without enough selenium-based enzymes, the functions of the brain and other organs can be affected.

While this might sound scary, problems can only occur if we don’t get enough selenium to counteract the trace amounts of mercury in the fish we eat. And fish are so rich in selenium that this is not likely to happen.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has measured selenium levels in more than 1,000 commonly consumed foods, and 16 of the 25 best sources of dietary selenium are ocean fish.

University of North Dakota environmental scientist Dr. Nicholas Ralston is an expert on the relationship between selenium and mercury. Here’s how he describes it:

?Think of dietary selenium as if it were your income and dietary mercury as if it were a bill that you need to pay. Just as we all need a certain amount of money to cover living expenses such as food and rent, we all need a certain amount of selenium …?

He went on to say, ?Only one major study has shown negative effects from exposure to mercury from seafood, and that seafood was pilot whale meat. Pilot whale meat is unusual in that it contains more mercury than selenium. When you eat pilot whale meat, it’s like getting a bill for $400 and a check for less than $100. If that happens too much, you go bankrupt. On the other hand, if you eat ocean fish, it’s like getting a check in the mail for $500 and getting a bill for $25. The more that happens, the happier you are.?

Dr. Ralston is right. Researchers at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration found that most of the fish we eat contains significantly more selenium than mercury. Seafood that contains more mercury (Hg) than selenium (Se) includes pilot whale, tarpon, marlin, and some shark. Fish we most commonly consume, including all forms of tuna and salmon, are rich in selenium.

On the other end of the scale, pilot whale is by far the worst offender. This may help explain why researchers in the Faroe Islands insist that dietary mercury is harmful to island residents. (Unlike the vast majority of people, the Faroese eat lots of pilot whale meat.) By contrast, a similar study in the Seychelles Islands – where people eat lots of selenium-rich fish but no whale meat – found no negative health effects from the tiny amounts of mercury in fish.

So you’re fine. Unless you start eating lots of whale.

5-7 cans a week? There’s people on here who probably go through 2-3 cans a day. I doubt they have had any problems except for rank ass breath.