Egg Yolks

Okay, as I was making my breakfast I cracked 6 eggs and 1 white. Right away my parents start telling me hoe bad my cholesterol has to be. They are making me get it checked now. Do I have anything to worry about with 6-7 eggs a day?

Make your parents watch the movie “fat head.” It does a pretty decent job of explaining it all I feel. I wouldn’t be concerned about eating the egg yolks. Still, getting cholesterol checked isn’t a bad idea, it’s always good to know where you are at.

I dont think they would, I just want to make sure when I get it checked I can be like HA! i’m going to keep eating my 7+ eggs and red meat!

Pretty sure I read somewhere recently that ingesting the cholesterol from egg yoks has no relation to the body’s own cholesterol. If it does increase cholesterol, It’s probably HDL …the good one. I will try and find it.

Yes eating cholesterol does not raise cholesterol levels.

The yoke contains half the protein and a nice chunk of vitamins.

Tell them to look at the actual science, Gary Taubes has exploded these myths.

I can’t say whether eating that many eggs each day is good or bad… I can’t only speak for myself since I have had many blood test, and I do have heart disease ok so, I do know something about myself. It maybe for you there is no risk at all. Your LDL may go up but so will your HDL , a simple blood test will tell you.

You should get checked to see where you stand, just to know and say everything is fine then you will know that what your currently doing has no deleterious effects. But keep in mind that its your total food intake not just eating 6 or 7 eggs a day. BTW i suspect that both LDL and HDL will raise so no problem. THe problem i see is when you have low HDL and high LDL or high triglycerides.

Myself I had low low HDL and high triglycerides… could have been exasperated, but eat hardly any fat and eating a ton of bagels for years ok… I’ve learned for me that fat is essential. I know for example that when I eat nuts, 1 eat daily, salmon, and dark chocolate over 75% dark, my lipid levels are right on, and my HDL is as high as its been ever. So observe yourself and go from there.

[quote]Brotha123 wrote:
Okay, as I was making my breakfast I cracked 6 eggs and 1 white. Right away my parents start telling me hoe bad my cholesterol has to be. They are making me get it checked now. Do I have anything to worry about with 6-7 eggs a day?[/quote]

If you have to explain to your parents what you eat, you must be what 16? Unless you 300lbs i’m

pretty sure your cholesterol is fine

If I recall correctly the absorption of Cholesterol is very inefficient (<%30 of ingestion). However in some individuals there are adverse reactions when consuming more then 3 eggs worth of cholesterol (500-800 mg?). Nothing a typical NMR lipid panel can’t point out.

Your body can make more cholesterol than you could consume. If I read it correctly, every cell in your body is able to create cholesterol, and eating it is a very small amount of your actual cholesterol level within your body.

Dietary cholesterol does affect serum cholesterol levels in most people,the few who is does normally have a family history of cholesterol problem’s,cholesterol is needed for testosterone production,eat the yolks and ignore your parents.

I’ve been eating anywhere between 6-12 eggs per day over the last 3 years (except for about 3 months when I was cutting) and have blood & med tests every year to make sure all’s ok.
No cholesterol problem at all (for reference, I’m 26)
So just eat away - eggs are tasty and great sources of protein & healthy fats - couldnt imaging bulking w/o them

Eat the yolks! If your parents ever looked at the list of nutrients in an egg yolk they’d be eating them right there with you. It’s like reading the back of a multi-vitamin supplement (not the centrum one that pops is probably taking).

Unfortunately, the older population (including my parents) were in their prime when this “high fat makes you fat” and “cholesterol causes heart disease” statements were driven into our heads. The best quote I’ve ever heard that you can share with your parents goes like this:

“Blaming cholesterol for heart disease is like blaming the firemen for the fire” Cholesterol was first seen as the cause of heart disease because when they did autopsy’s on individuals dying of CVD they saw cholesterol in their blood (like when you show up at a fire, the firemen are there). BUT cholesterol shows up on the seen to repair damage in your arteries (caused by free radical damage & chronic inflammation - rancid fats, and sugar!). Cholesterol is not the cause of CVD, it’s a symptom. Your body can and will adjust it’s cholesterol levels based on consumption, so it doesn’t matter if you consume more or not (although consuming more is better for your cell integrity, hormones, etc).

Tell your parents if they know what’s good for them they’ll drop the bagel, throw out the cereal and the toaster, and jump on the bbq frying up a grass-fed steak while you’re cooking up 10 eggs on the stove…with YOLKS! Not only will they show better results at the doctor, but maybe your dad will start getting laid again.

All the best!

[quote]CoachShredder wrote:
Eat the yolks! If your parents ever looked at the list of nutrients in an egg yolk they’d be eating them right there with you. It’s like reading the back of a multi-vitamin supplement (not the centrum one that pops is probably taking).

Unfortunately, the older population (including my parents) were in their prime when this “high fat makes you fat” and “cholesterol causes heart disease” statements were driven into our heads. The best quote I’ve ever heard that you can share with your parents goes like this:

“Blaming cholesterol for heart disease is like blaming the firemen for the fire” Cholesterol was first seen as the cause of heart disease because when they did autopsy’s on individuals dying of CVD they saw cholesterol in their blood (like when you show up at a fire, the firemen are there). BUT cholesterol shows up on the seen to repair damage in your arteries (caused by free radical damage & chronic inflammation - rancid fats, and sugar!). Cholesterol is not the cause of CVD, it’s a symptom. Your body can and will adjust it’s cholesterol levels based on consumption, so it doesn’t matter if you consume more or not (although consuming more is better for your cell integrity, hormones, etc).

Tell your parents if they know what’s good for them they’ll drop the bagel, throw out the cereal and the toaster, and jump on the bbq frying up a grass-fed steak while you’re cooking up 10 eggs on the stove…with YOLKS! Not only will they show better results at the doctor, but maybe your dad will start getting laid again.

All the best![/quote]

Great post!