T Nation

egg yolks bad when broke?

Lately I have been hearing some preaching about not eating scrambled eggs or omlets or what not on a regular basis. The reason I am given is that the oxidation of the yolk while being cooked makes the fat a terrible substance for the body. What exactly, I do not know. I ask for some refrences and all I get is an answer such as ‘I spent time with a hormone doc and he said ,this is how it is, so I just believe him…blah blah’
I was wondering if this has any merit?
If not, anyone have any specific refrences so I may show others who are taking this person’s word for it?

Thanks,
Sledge

Don’t know if it’s true, but Dr. Mercola says that.

dr. mercola also tells you that fish is bad for you and that water crystals freeze in “murky” patterns when in the prescence of “hate.” he’s got some sense but he’s more quack than sense.

I like this question. The guy hears a rumor. Knows it’s a rumor. Knows that the rumor has potential. Throws it around for discussion without actually justifying the rumor.

Good job. THIS is what discussion boards are for!

PS: I don’t know

I guess I will bump this to see if there are any other takers on this subject. Thanks El_machine for the compliment , it was a compliment right? :slight_smile:
I appreciate all the posts , I for one would like some closeur because I love my scrambled eggs!
Sledge

i vaguelly recall support on this thing from poliquin and serrano on this… i eat scrambled eggs all the time here at the U except, ive read on this board that cafeteria scrambles arent real eggs per say, but powdered (whites) ones

It actually makes sense. Think about it, where is all the fat in an egg, the yolk. Fats oxidize when exposed to heat and air. So, cooking an egg would have a negative affect on the fats in the yolk. I myself am not going to worry about it, but for those of you who do, you may want to consider it.

This broken yolk thing seems like bunk. Even if you keep the yolk raw and in one piece it won’t be intact when it reaches your stomach. How the hell would you eat it? Cook the whites add the yolk at the end and spoon it up. Sounds pretty fishy to me.

Check out issue 202, “Appetite for construction”. Berardi discusses what happens to oils when the are heated. The same thing applies to the fats in yolks.If you are concerned about it, poach or soft boil your eggs.

It makes sense that cooking would damage the fragile little fats in egg yolks. However, it that’s indeed the case, shouldn’t we stop cooking our salmon and grass-fed beef too? What’s a brutha to do?

When the fats are in a more stable substance, they oxidize less easily (olive oil, hamburger, and egg yolk compared to flax for example).