Egg Limit?

It figures.

I post a link to Mercola’s web site, then while reading other articles on T-Nation, I notice that he’s considered something of a… uh, crackpot, I guess, would be the right word.

Funny thing is, I’ve never heard of him before and after I post a link to one of his article, I see him mentioned in the milk thread and the T-Nation radio thread.

I got salmonella poisioning from eating raw eggs back when I was 16 and lost close to 10 lbs also. Food just wouldn’t stay in my body for more than 20-30 minutes for half a week. DEFINITELY, don’t eat them raw.

[quote]daven wrote:
Heat, physical agitation (heavy mixing/beating), and certain chemicals can cause proteins to denature. [/quote]

Fine, if eggs don’t respond well to vigorous beating, I know something that does.

If i were eating upto 10 whole eggs they would always be scrambled, i can only eat around 3-4 whole eggs if their un-scrambled. I am on my Bulking cycle.

I read an article on Dr. John Berardi’s diet when he was 18 for bulking, and this is what he ate:

8 AM, Breakfast: 6 whole eggs, 4 slices of whole grain bread, and 4 packets of instant oatmeal.

12 PM, Lunch: 1 pound extra lean ground beef, 1 cup cauliflower, and 2 large baked potatoes.

4 PM, Evening Meal: 1 pound of extra lean ground beef, 1 cup broccoli, and 2 large baked potatoes.

8 PM, Post-workout: half pound of pasta (weighed before cooking), 1 cup green beans, and half pound extra lean ground chicken.

Before bed: 6 whole eggs, 4 slices of whole grain bread.

"Gluttony? You bet! Did I grow? You bet! On this plan I went from 165 pounds at 8% fat to 210 pounds at 12% fat in about six months. "

Read the Article:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459576

You can eat as many whole eggs as you want. There is fat in eggs and that is the limiting thing. You will have to supplement fat inorder to get the right ratio of fats. Dr. John M. Berardi recommends “a good balance of fats should be ingested, with each type of dietary fat making up about one-third of your total daily intake (33% saturated fats, 33% monounsaturated fats, 33% polyunsaturated fats with 50% omega 3’s and 50% omega 6’s)”.

I went to the following web site and got this info. on fats in eggs:
http://www.eggs.ca/nutrition/health/omega3.asp
"Comparison of Fat Profile (based on 1 whole large egg)

------------- Omega-3 Egg – Classic Egg
Total Fatty Acids — 4.9 g — 5.0 g
Omega-6 ------------ 0.7 g — 0.7 g
Omega-3 ------------ 0.4 g — 0.04 g
Monounsaturated -1.6 g — 2.0 g
Saturated ---------- 1.2 g — 1.5 g
Cholesterol -------- 185 mg – 190 mg

Omega-3 enriched eggs are produced by altering the diet of laying hens. Hens are fed a special diet which contains 10-20% ground flaxseed. Nutrient values vary depending on the composition of the feed."

[quote]Boxer wrote:
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/suppl_5/495S

[/quote]

An honorarium was provided for support of this manuscript by the Egg Nutrition Center.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
daven wrote:
Heat, physical agitation (heavy mixing/beating), and certain chemicals can cause proteins to denature.

Fine, if eggs don’t respond well to vigorous beating, I know something that does.[/quote]

But will you eat it?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

It might be a point to consider that I don’t usually eat eggs at all when dieting or focusing on cardio.[/quote]

Prof X, I understand and agree with what you said regarding cholesterol and eggs…but why do you avoid them while cutting/cardio-focused?

And what did you mean on the work reference?

Thanks
Matt

[quote]StrongMan wrote:

Prof X, why do you avoid them while cutting/cardio-focused?

And what did you mean on the work reference?

Thanks
Matt[/quote]

I avoid them when dieting because my first meal of the day usually end up being a meal replacement. I don’t have much time in the morning to fix much else. Eggs take less than 2 minutes to cook scrambled. There is no deeper scientific reason for it.

What work reference?

I received a PM from orbitalboner on the Mercola reference and I figured I would include my response here.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/intermediate_proteins.htm

Hi, since you’re a chemist, I was wondering if I could get your opinion on this whole cholesterol oxidation thing. Apparently Dr. Mercola is considered a bit of a quack on this site, but I haven’t read anything by him that sounded totally out there…yet. Just wondering if the cholesterol could be oxidized as he says, by the iron in the egg whites. It sounds entirely plausible on the surface. Anyway, I’ll keep looking into it, as I was planning on upping my egg intake. It would be great if you could post your response on the ‘too many eggs?’ thread, as I’m sure this subject is extremely pertinent for everyone on this site. Thx for you opinion.[/quote]

Hi Orbital,

I think there are two important questions about this topic. 1) Can Iron oxidize cholesterol? 2) Is this oxidized product harmful? Maybe we can add a third - just how harmful is it?

2 and 3) I think these questions are best answered by medical trials. Have these been done? I am not sure. If they have, Dr. Mercola does not provide those sources. I do not know if he corresponds to email, but I would seek sound literature evidence that oxidized cholesterol leads to arterial hardening. Also, the extent of the harm is important, which is not so much a research fact but a conclusion that is open for interpretation. My chemical intuition is clueless to an opinion here.

back to 1) The structure of cholesterol contains a hydroxy group, which could potentially be oxidized to a ketone group (this is a common reaction performed in test tubes in research labs). In the laboratory, this is typically performed with Chromium (VI). I can’t seem to find the oxidation potential for Cr(VI) off hand. In general, I am not so informed on inorganic (ie. non-carbon) chemistry so I am not even sure if the iron in egg is Iron (II), Iron (III) or Iron solid. Iron solid would not do this transformation because it has a low oxidizing potential. I would imagine the others have lower potentials than Cr(VI) but that is a guess (because labs would opt to use Iron if it were better…)

Could either of the irons still do the transformation? Perhaps there is literature evidence, but again Dr. Mercola does not give a citation.

I think the human body is capable of such oxidations as well. Could cholesterol be oxidized within the human body anyway?

I also want to point out that Dr. Mercola’s personal research citation list did not have any paper(s) that would have seemingly studied any of the questions we are seeking answers to here. Likely, there has to be some research done somewhere to lead him to these conclusions, I would seek that research.

Should you stop cooking eggs? I can’t answer that, but if you are concerned, see if you can find any sound literature support to the two claims made by Mercola.

As an aside, Mercola mentions that many people have egg allergies, myself included. If I eat eggs (in any form, except raw which I have never tried) I get stomach pains and general indegestion problems. He says that eating raw eggs will not have the same allergic response, so that might be an alternative for those like me. I am not totally sure about eating raw eggs, but I might try it to see if I have the same problems or not.

Good luck.
Steve

[quote]cycomiko wrote:
Boxer wrote:
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/suppl_5/495S

An honorarium was provided for support of this manuscript by the Egg Nutrition Center.

:)[/quote]

Good point Cycomiko. Which points in the article do you disagree with? I have an open mind.

Even the UK’s ( where I live ) Food Standards Agency ( FSA ) are saying that there is no need to limit the amount of eggs that we eat.

[quote]Boxer wrote:

Good point Cycomiko. Which points in the article do you disagree with? I have an open mind.

Even the UK’s ( where I live ) Food Standards Agency ( FSA ) are saying that there is no need to limit the amount of eggs that we eat.
[/quote]

I havent had a chance to read the full article, I was just posting a comment from the first page of the file.
A individuals egg intake depends on their whole diet, rather than one specific piece.