Egg Limit?

I would like to know how much whole eggs you can eat in a day? cholesterol is a concern. Im not talking about egg whites, i know Dr J.b takes 12 egg whites, would 12 whole eggs be too much of a health risk?.

Regards.

Reading your post reminded me of Cool Hand Luke, now that was a lot of eggs. I can’t see why you would want to eat 12 eggs that is a lot of fat in there. All I know is that somewhere sometime I read that Doctors recommend you not eat more than 3 whole eggs a week. Be interested to see what folks think.

[quote]smt_007 wrote:
I would like to know how much whole eggs you can eat in a day? cholesterol is a concern. Im not talking about egg whites, i know Dr J.b takes 12 egg whites, would 12 whole eggs be too much of a health risk?.

Regards.[/quote]

Most current studies are showing that dietary cholesterol does not largely impact cholesterol levels (as it is largely influenced by genetic factors…thusly someone with familial high cholesterol levels would need to pay attention to this area of diet more than others). When gaining, I have eaten as many as 8-10 whole eggs every morning. My cholesterol is checked yearly based on what I do for a living and it is not high and never has been. I can also put away around 1-1.5lbs of beef a day on top of that along with everything else I eat. Much of the stigma attached comes from there being conflicting information in the past concerning “the danger of eggs”.

It might be a point to consider that I don’t usually eat eggs at all when dieting or focusing on cardio.

i was eating 30 or so eggs a week on a high fat/protein diet, i had my cholesterol checked and it was well within limits.

control your insulin to control our cholesterol.

i can go through around 40 eggs a week. usually do take a few yolks out, but sometimes keep them in depending whether im cutting or bulking.

i’d eat more if i didnt have to buy so many!

When you eat all those eggs, are they eaten/drank raw?

Would there be a difference for someone taking 12 raw whole eggs a day versus someone eating 12 hard-boiled eggs a day?

I’m planning on trying a new diet plan with much higher protein (2g/lbs/day) and carrying hard-boiled eggs around is a lot more convenient. I just want to make sure that I’m not reducing the nutritional value or alterin the fat in a bad way.

Many years ago (app. 20) I was unemployed and was working out 2 times per day. I was eating 15 eggs a day and did that for quite some time, a bit over a month and a half, I think, my cholesterol and triglyserides were in the normal range.

I think that if you don’t have genetically high cholestrerol AND that you are working out on a regular basis, eggs shouldn’t be a problem cholesterolwise.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/suppl_5/495S

[quote]pookie wrote:

Would there be a difference for someone taking 12 raw whole eggs a day versus someone eating 12 hard-boiled eggs a day?
.[/quote]

I would never eat raw eggs. Even though the risk of Salmonella poisoning may be low, I have gotten before from undercooked eggs at a fairly famous pancake house. I lost about 10lbs over 2-3 days because of it. The only reason I didn’t lose more is because I actually force fed myself protein shakes, even though most didn’t stay down. Why risk it when more egg proteins are released for bio-availability upon cooking?

I am a smelly bastard when I eat more than 6 six whole eggs at a sitting…

Before I jumped on the V-diet we used to buy our eggs in 12 1/2 dozen cases at Sam’s. My wife would eat 4 eggs, and I would eat 8 every morning. I would eat another 4-6 eggs at night. So I was using at least a dozen eggs a day.

[quote]pookie wrote:

I’m planning on trying a new diet plan with much higher protein (2g/lbs/day) and carrying hard-boiled eggs around is a lot more convenient. I just want to make sure that I’m not reducing the nutritional value or alterin the fat in a bad way.[/quote]

You’re better off eating them cooked rather than raw. Your body cannot completely digest egg protein in its raw state.

As I’ve read, through another post around here, cholesterol is bad whn oxidized. In eggs, this happens when the cholesterol in the yolks encounters the iron in the egg whites at high temperatures (read: scrambled eggs). I don’t worry about it much, though I don’t much like to eat the yolks when I go through more than 3 at a time, which is most of the time, just from taste.

Raw (and unpasturized) eggwhite consumption can rather quickly lead to Biotin deficiency. The proteins in the egg, when folded in their natural state, bind to biotin and keep you from absorbing it.

The scenario is common enough that all of my medical texts test Biotin def. with a question like:

A bodybuilder comes in with…

Anyway, just cook them, or buy the pre-pasteurized whites in a carton.

I was a bit more concerned about the yolk. I remember reading somewhere that the yolk is better consumed as a liquid; that cooking the yolk “denatures” the fat and makes it bad for your health.

I can’t seem to find that link anymore. Is there any truth to that?

Let’s say I want to eat 12 eggs a day and hard boil them all. Should I eat all whites but reduce the amount of yolks?

Is there some possibility of health problems from eating 12 hard boiled yolks a day, apart from the high amount of calories from fat?

Denaturing does not technically occur to lipids (fats). It is a property of proteins, and relates to the unfolding of tertiary and quaternary structures. Heat, physical agitation (heavy mixing/beating), and certain chemicals can cause proteins to denature. The amount of agitation/heat/chemicals required depends upon the nature of the protein. The heat concerns are why Biotest takes steps to ensure that Low-Carb Grow! does not become heated during production (it would destroy the micellar casein, which is very easy to denature).

Fats are affected by heating, but not in the same way as protein. However, heating egg yolks is not a particular health hazard. Eating them raw has a much higher risk than cooking them. Also, raw yolks tend to be harder on your digestive system than cooked ones.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Is there some possibility of health problems from eating 12 hard boiled yolks a day, apart from the high amount of calories from fat?[/quote]

Your burps will smell so bad, you won’t have any friends left.

But seriously, I think whole eggs are the perfect PF meal.

One thing I have done, because of info others have mentioned on this thread, is when cooking scrambled eggs, I will separate the yolks and start the whites cooking first. When they are getting close to done, I quickly scramble the yolks with a fork and pour them in. I then do a final mix, quickly cooking in the yolks with the whites. I don’t know if it makes any difference, but it means less time on the heat for the yolks, and I think it actually tastes better since the yolks are all on the outside.

Thanks a lot guys, i didnt think i would have that many good posts in such a short time.

Regards.

Here’s an article I found that discusses eating eggs raw; and also addresses the biotin issue.

Some points made in the article:

• If you’re allergic to eggs, it might be because you cook them.
  • Cooking the egg destroys protein
  • While eating raw egg whites in large quantities can lead to a biotin deficiency, eating the yolk at the same time will prevent the problem as the yolk is a rich source of biotin.
  • Some comments concerning salmonella.

Any comments on this?