Efficacy of Hip Extensions?

In your opinion are barbell hip extensions song with other forms of hip extensions effective for building glutes and hamstrings? Brett Contreras swears by then but Chris dufferin says they are a waste. I personally like the excercise and would love to know if they are actually worth doing thanks

I personally do not like them. At least not as a main, heavy lift.

The only time I might use that lift is as an activation tool with a client who has a hard time feeling their glutes. In that case we will do 3-4 sets of light work using an iso-dynamic contract: we hold the top position for 20-30 seconds, contracting the glutes as hard as possible, then do 8-12 reps slow and squeezed. This is not so much for muscle-building (although it will have an effect) but to sensitize the glutes to being recruited and practice contracting them so you are better at recruiting them in the later exercises in the workout like squats or deadlifts.

But I do not like using it as a heavy lift or to build strength. With light weights focused on the squeeze and muscle activation as I mentioned it’s fine. But with heavy weights there will be problems. To quote my friend Coach Justin Kavanaugh (who works with tons of pro and collegiate football players) :" By using maximal weight, athletes try to put more force into the bar, which can result in hyperextension of the back. Spinous processes compressing on each other, possible disc protrusion through repeated hyperextension and weighted pelvic posterior tilt at the bottom could also cause spinal problems and ligament laxity."

(full article at: http://www.sportandspeedteam.com/the-heavy-hip-thrust-is-ruining-our-backs-and-this-industry/).

And there are many other issues with the heavy hip thrust when it comes to performance/strength including not having the same strength curve as in “normal” strength movements like squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches or sport actions like running or jumping. Therefore it will not lead to big improvements.

But for cosmetic/muscle growth results done with lighter weights and more mind-muscle connection it can work. I just think that there are more effective tools to do the job.

PERSONALLY I don’t do it. And I don’t have any of my clients do it nor will I have them do it in the future (unless for activation). It does not mean that it’s worthless or that it can’t work. But I feel like there are better options and that the transfer to lifting performance is limited.