Effects of Recreational Drugs on Testosterone?

[quote]Pound4Pound wrote:
Fahd wrote:
Its very disappointing to read some of the responses on this thread. The poster asked a legit question that all of us asked at one stage.

Fahd

All of us, at one stage, asked what effect ecstacy and speed will have on our T production???

WTF are you talking about!?!?!?! IDIOT![/quote]

As a non-idiot, please explain what effect ecstacy and speed will have on T production.

What effect does heroin have on testosterone production?

If you truly care about your body, athletic performance and physique it is probably best to stay away from the recreational drugs.

As to Fahd’s hardcore comment, this site is for hardcore athletes and bodybuilders looking to improve.

I don’t think recreational drugs provide the means for improvement.

To each his own I suppose, but staying away from the harder stuff is probably the best bet.

I wonder why someone really cares about this in the first place. If one will do these recreational drugs why not take testosterone too?

The bottom line with any rec. drug is that they aren’t conducive to improving performance for anyone. They have latent long term effects and shouldn’t be used by anyone taking their physique and physical performance seriously. Speed and X really wreak havoc on one’s CNS and brain function. Neither should be used on a regular basis.

long term mental problems have been cited, I don’t know how accurate this data is

thing is extacy use must me widespread, how else could you explain the success of that shit hardcore dance music…ministy of sound, kiss my ass

[quote]Fahd wrote:
Pound4Pound wrote:
Fahd wrote:
Its very disappointing to read some of the responses on this thread. The poster asked a legit question that all of us asked at one stage.

Fahd

All of us, at one stage, asked what effect ecstacy and speed will have on our T production???

WTF are you talking about!?!?!?! IDIOT!

As a non-idiot, please explain what effect ecstacy and speed will have on T production.[/quote]

In laments terms, they SERIOUSLY fuck with your brain. Your brain controls every tissue, organ and system in your body. Need I say more?

…and by the way, steroids are bad for you dummy!! LOL

Effects of intravenous cocaine and cigarette smoking on luteinizing hormone, testosterone, and prolactin in men.

Mendelson JH, Sholar MB, Mutschler NH, Jaszyna-Gasior M, Goletiani NV, Siegel AJ, Mello NK.

Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, Harvard Medical School/McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA. jmendel@mclean.harvard.edu

Cocaine and nicotine have a number of similar behavioral and neurobiological effects. This study compared the acute effects of cocaine and cigarette smoking on luteinizing hormone (LH), testosterone (T), and prolactin. Twenty-four men who met American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual criteria for cocaine abuse or nicotine dependence were given intravenous cocaine (0.4 mg/kg) or placebo-cocaine, or smoked a low or high nicotine cigarette under controlled conditions. Placebo-cocaine or low nicotine cigarette smoking did not change LH, T, or prolactin. Peak plasma levels of 254 +/- 18 ng cocaine/ml and 22.6 +/- 3.4 ng nicotine/ml were measured at 8 and 14 min, respectively. LH increased significantly after both i.v. cocaine and high nicotine cigarette smoking (P < 0.01). These LH increases were significantly correlated with increases in cocaine and nicotine plasma levels (P < 0.001-0.003), and high nicotine cigarette smoking stimulated significantly greater increases in LH release than i.v. cocaine (P < 0.05). Testosterone levels did not change significantly after either cocaine or after high nicotine cigarette smoking. After i.v. cocaine, prolactin decreased significantly and remained below baseline levels throughout the sampling period (P < 0.05-0.01). After high nicotine cigarette smoking, prolactin increased to hyperpro-lactinemic levels within 6 min and remained significantly above baseline levels for 42 min (P < 0.05-0.03). The rapid increases in LH and reports of subjective “high” after both i.v. cocaine and high nicotine cigarette smoking illustrate the similarities between these drugs and suggest a possible contribution of LH to their abuse-related effects.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Controlled Clinical Trial

PMID: 12893845 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

The effects of cocaine on gonadal steroid hormones and LH in male and female rhesus monkeys.

Mello NK, Mendelson JH, Negus SS, Kelly M, Knudson I, Roth ME.

Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, McLean Hospital-Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA, USA. mello@mclean.harvard.edu

Cocaine stimulates significant increases in estradiol, testosterone (T), and luteinizing hormone (LH) in rhesus monkeys, but the temporal interactions between the gonadal steroid hormones and LH have not been determined. The effects of i.v. cocaine (0.8 mg/kg) or saline placebo administration on estradiol, T, and LH were compared in follicular phase female and male rhesus monkeys. Samples for hormone analysis were collected at 2-min intervals for 20 min, then at 10-min intervals for 50 min. Peak plasma cocaine levels were detected at 4 min and pharmacokinetic analyses showed no significant gender differences. Baseline hormone levels were equivalent before saline and cocaine administration, and saline did not alter LH or estradiol levels. In females, when baseline estradiol levels were low (< 100 pg/ml), LH increased significantly within 8 min after cocaine administration (P < 0.05), but when baseline estradiol levels were high (> 100 pg/ml), LH levels did not change significantly after cocaine administration. Estradiol and T increased significantly after LH, within 16 min after cocaine administration (P < 0.01-0.001). In males, significant LH increases were detected at 16 min after cocaine administration (P < 0.05-0.001), but estradiol and T did not change significantly. Thus, cocaine may stimulate significant increases in estradiol and T in females but not in males. These rapid hormonal changes may contribute to cocaine’s abuse-related effects, as well as to disruptions of the menstrual cycle during chronic cocaine administration.

Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women.

Block RI, Farinpour R, Schlechte JA.

Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242.

To investigate possible effects of chronic marijuana use on reproductive and stress hormones, we assayed testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin, and cortisol in 93 men and 56 women with a mean (+/- S.E.) age of 23.5 +/- 0.4 years. Hormone values were compared among groups of subjects stratified according to frequency of marijuana use (frequent, moderate and infrequent; N = 27, 18, and 30, respectively) and non-using controls (N = 74). Chronic marijuana use showed no significant effect on hormone concentrations in either men or women.

PMID: 1935564 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[quote]Pound4Pound wrote:
In laments terms, they SERIOUSLY fuck with your brain. Your brain controls every tissue, organ and system in your body. Need I say more?

…and by the way, steroids are bad for you dummy!! LOL
[/quote]

Well it depends on which drug it is. Many top level athletes abuse nicotine and cannabis regularly. Speed has also been used as a performance enhancing drug. GHB has some indirect benefits to bodybuilding.